Slotted screwdriver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cappyjon431

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm not even sure if "slotted screwdriver" is the correct term for the specialized screwdriver used to remove a handwheel from a K-valve. What are these called and where can I find one? My old one is lost and I need to replace a few handwheels on some of my tanks. Thanks!

I'm not even sure if "slotted screwdriver" is the correct term for the specialized screwdriver used to remove a handwheel from a K-valve. What are these called and where can I find one? My old one is lost and I need to replace a few handwheels on some of my tanks. Thanks!

DSS Valve Knob Retainer Tool

P1010160.JPG

Or buy a screwdriver of the correct width and cut a slot in it with a dremel tool using the a cutoff wheel.

Years ago, I made one with a grinder and file. It's a piece of 1/2 " bar stock on which I ground two "ears". Still works. Never seen one of those keys. That would be super easy to make. Wait, I did make one of those or something similar. I used it to remove the internal bush from the Nemrod reserve valve. Back in the day, so to speak.

If you have a grinder, buy a cheap chisel set and make your own. If not,

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1300

Tank Valve retainer tool is what it is called. I made my own because I have broken the smaller ones on badly corroded retainer nuts.

...did you even see my post? :shocked2:

The DSS tool is nice because, if I remember correctly, once the tool comes in contact with the screw, it's done -- no overtightening.

It's $5, small, light, machined to fit the screw perfectly, and works great every time.

You copied me, before I wrote it. I was looking for the DSS link with the reply window open.
I see...:eyebrow:

BTW, why is overtightening bad?
I have noticed that if you tighten it down a lot, the valves become more difficult to turn. Maybe it's just me? I like my valves easy to turn but not to the point that they're falling off.

The more you tighten the nut, the more torque you are putting on the stem o-ring, and thus the more turning force required to turn the handle.

Itighten mine till the stem is above the nut by about 1 to 2 threads.

Jim breslin

Back
Top Bottom