Shore Divers Anonymous: Too Broke For A Boat...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sloyota

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I guess this would be for broke-#@#!@ like me with no boat...and can't find it in the budget to pay for frequent boat dives...yeah yeah...buy $2,000.00 in equiptment, yet no money for boat...look on the brightside: I lost 6 pounds in 6 weeks on the 'Shore Dive Diet'...

sloyota:
Anyone shore dives on the horizon?

Say when and where and I'll be there. If its a weekday give me a few days notice and i can take the day off.

Mark

sloyota:
I guess this would be for broke-#@#!@ like me with no boat...and can't find it in the budget to pay for frequent boat dives...yeah yeah...buy $2,000.00 in equiptment, yet no money for boat...look on the brightside: I lost 6 pounds in 6 weeks on the 'Shore Dive Diet'...

Another reason to look into that kayak thing with us. I paid approx $900 for my complete setup. 9-10 dives from it (instead of $100 for a charter) and I am free. In 2-3 years when I leave the island I will even be able to sell it for $400-600. If you buy a nice used one (go bananas sells off rentals all the time as well as cosignments) then that might only be about $400-500 and 4-5 dives to make it free. Nice thing about the kayak is that when I don't dive it I can just take it out and paddle around and ride the waves. Something I can't do with charter at all.

Yup...I initially bought my yak to fish from, and decided on the Scupper Pro TW because of speed. I do sacrifice stability, though, as the Scupper is a little narrow.

Now that I am into scuba, using my yak is a bonus. Can't wait to do the YO from it as I only live in Kapahulu. Just launch from the Ala Wai Club House, do a drift snorkel down the Ala Wai, then paddle out to the YO...ok...just kidding about the Ala Wai drift dive, although I have swam in there with my Boogie board...

Can't wait for conditions to get better...like this past Sunday...

Shore or yak is in my immediate budget...

We'll see you all out there soon I hope...

RJ: You have a rudder on your yak? If so, does it make THAT much of a difference? I obviously don't have one on my yak...yet...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom