Shore Divers Anonymous: Too Broke For A Boat...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sloyota:
RJ: You have a rudder on your yak? If so, does it make THAT much of a difference? I obviously don't have one on my yak...yet...

No, mine won't take one. I have been out with people that have a rudder and in winds it can make a difference. When it is really windy enough to make a difference though it usually isn't that fun to be out on the yak. The Ocean Kayaks are a little more narrow, as you said, but I think they put a little more flat surface to the wind. My Cobra is more streamlined from the the sides and the wind has to blow pretty good to effect it much, once I get my line paddling. It also adds things to catch on when getting in and out of the yak.

I was thinking that, that if one goes out with wind conditions warranting a rudder, then it might be a tad bit too rough to be out there in the first place. Although, once up by Sunset Beach, I paddled West for a few miles, turned around, and fought a phantom 15-20mph headwind in 2-3 foot surf. I wish I had a rudder then I guess...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom