Buddy Dive 1st timer... any tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll be heading to Buddy Dive for a week, May 4-11. While I've got 4 Bonaire dives in my log book from cruiseship stops, this will be my first week-long stay on the island. So, I'm looking for any tips which would make my stay as memorable as possible.

We have booked a 2bedroom apartment, with the 6-boat dive+unlimited shore package. It includes the vehicle. I'm thinking I should probably buy a DryFob? Or will they provide one? I've also only ever done guided dives, so I'm thinking I should get a compass for our shore dives so I don't find myself halfway to Venezuela.

Anything else you wish you knew on your first trip to Buddy Dive?

Say, how did you find the balance of the 6 boat and truck ??
We are debating possibly the 12 boat dive package... we only have like 5 shore dives under our belts, and like 70 plus boat dives...
How did you find the accommodations at buddies ?? Still narrowing down where to stay for our first trip to the island..
Thanks much for your time

I guess I never did follow up with a trip report.

This was a fantastic trip and I'm glad we chose to stay there. The whole process was well-managed, and the week ran very smoothly. Upon arrival and check-in, you'll do a resort/dive briefing where they will explain how everything works from tank exchanges to boat dives. The accommodations are very comfortable. We were in a 2-bedroom apartment, which was more than enough space for the two of us. We ate breakfast in the buffet every morning, but lunch was usually made in the suite and dinners were out somewhere on the island.

We did the 6 boat dives, and felt that was a good amount. I had never been to Klein Bonaire, so most of those 6 dives were around there. We also did some of the northern sites which are only accessible by boat, and 1000 Steps which is a *great* boat dive so you don't have to lug gear up and down the steps!

I was apprehensive about the unguided shore diving at first, but it's really not that hard and incredibly rewarding the first couple times when you surface right in front of the exit point. I did purchase the DryFob, but ended up not using it because the truck we had didn't have an electronic fob so the key just went in my swim trunk pocket. The compass was a must-have, as was the Bonaire ReefGuide book.

Buddy Dive is an excellent choice for a first-time stay. I spoke with many other divers who had been returning for years. We've already booked our next trip to Bonaire, but we will be doing it a la carte this time: vacation retail, truck, air packages, boat dives all booked separately. It comes out a little cheaper and gives us a little more flexibility.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom