Service new regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aerodiver88

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All, picked up a bargain set of Aqualung Legend LX Supreme regs just before the refresh (but unfortunately I won’t get to dive them anytime soon with the lockdown )

I noticed they have a manufacturing date of January 2019 & wondered whether I ought to get them serviced (on the basis of the yearly service interval) or since they are unused I can start ‘counting’ from the first dive?

Your advice would be very welcome

Stay safe

Actually, regs will deteriorate over time. O-rings will harden up and the lube can harden. A couple years or so should be no problem.

If there is any real concern, just attach the regulator to a full tank, and check the rated IP. Let it stand for a bit, and ensure that there is no upward creep.

I just checked a couple of new regulators, for a friend, that had been shelved for two, maybe three years; and they were good to go . . .

A lot of manufacturers recommend that the routine service and inspections be completed even for unsold regs sitting in a dive shop. For warranty purposes, assuming you are under warranty, it's usually from date of sale.

That said, regulators are simple, hardy pieces of equipment. I'd dive it shallow a couple times and then not worry about it.

A lot of manufacturers recommend that the routine service and inspections be completed even for unsold regs sitting in a dive shop. For warranty purposes, assuming you are under warranty, it's usually from date of sale.

That may well be the case; but manufacturers, as a whole, are bigger fantasists than Tolkien, if they believe that dive shops are going to do rebuilds of their new stock -- on their own dime . . .

I checked the ip on every regulator I ever sold 99% were fine but I have found some that were not

I checked the ip on every regulator I ever sold 99% were fine but I have found some that were not

We did that too, with all gear before it left the shop, where I worked while at university. Occasionally, we too had to expend a whole thirty seconds, tweaking the odd IP . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom