Regulator issues after servicing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update: I took the regs back to the shop that serviced them. They checked the IP pressure at 500 and 3000 psi, said that the pressures were ‘fine’ and that the pressure was the same at both psi. Regarding the two main issues: 1) hissing on the surface - they said it was expected for this reg, not an issue; 2) markedly increased WOB at depth - adjust the knob to fully open when that happens. They had no answer for how to deal with that when the knob already was in the fully open position or why it might be happening.

Bottom line for them: since the pressures were fine, there was no reason to open anything up to look. I did not get to talk with the guy who does the servicing, as all communication was through an intermediary. I wasn’t given the actual numbers. The advice regarding the increased WOB was to take it to a pool to test (pool is max 15 feet, so, unlikely to reproduce the issue) and to stick close to my buddy when I‘m diving open water. I wasn’t quite given the bum rush to get me out of there, but the message was clear that they were done 😐. I am perfectly willing to accept that the regs are ‘fine’ and that all of this was an inexperienced newby issue, but it does leave me a bit uneasy about using the regs again.

Thank you again, everyone, for all of the information and advice. I truly appreciate it. This episode does make me want to learn to service my regs myself, but I’m not there yet! Still learning to dive. But if anyone has a recommendation for a particular technician or a dive shop in the greater Washington DC metro area, I’d be happy to have that name for the next check. Northern Virginia is easiest to get to, but I can also do Maryland, probably as far as Baltimore.

Update: I took the regs back to the shop that serviced them. They checked the IP pressure at 500 and 3000 psi, said that the pressures were ‘fine’ and that the pressure was the same at both psi. Regarding the two main issues: 1) hissing on the surface - they said it was expected for this reg, not an issue; 2) markedly increased WOB at depth - adjust the knob to fully open when that happens. They had no answer for how to deal with that when the knob already was in the fully open position or why it might be happening.

Bottom line for them: since the pressures were fine, there was no reason to open anything up to look. I did not get to talk with the guy who does the servicing, as all communication was through an intermediary. I wasn’t given the actual numbers. The advice regarding the increased WOB was to take it to a pool to test (pool is max 15 feet, so, unlikely to reproduce the issue) and to stick close to my buddy when I‘m diving open water. I wasn’t quite given the bum rush to get me out of there, but the message was clear that they were done 😐. I am perfectly willing to accept that the regs are ‘fine’ and that all of this was an inexperienced newby issue, but it does leave me a bit uneasy about using the regs again.

Thank you again, everyone, for all of the information and advice. I truly appreciate it. This episode does make me want to learn to service my regs myself, but I’m not there yet! Still learning to dive. But if anyone has a recommendation for a particular technician or a dive shop in the greater Washington DC metro area, I’d be happy to have that name for the next check. Northern Virginia is easiest to get to, but I can also do Maryland, probably as far as Baltimore.
Time for a new shop I think, naming them may prove helpful for the next potential victim.

• Bullseye!
Reactions: L13
To add to what @lexvil said, a slight hiss with the adjuster fully out can be "normal" for a reg that is tuned lighter than official specs. Definitely not something that a shop should blow off as normal when the diver brings it in as a problem. "Stick close to your buddy" is damn sure not a valid answer for the WOB at depth issue... Particularly when it was fine prior to them servicing it.
Time to find a much better shop (local or mail in) or get into DIY. As Rob says, reg servicing isn't difficult, just precise.
Regarding the possibility of WOB being a psychosomatic issue when the reg already had you questioning it... You could try swapping regs with someone at depth for a side by side comparison. Or just get them gone over properly for peace of mind.

Respectfully,

James

Based on what YOU said, I not impressed especially since they didn't have the actual service technician check it.

It is normal for the reg to leak on the surface?!? Not a problem? This is the very definition of gaslighting!

I would have a discussion with the owner of the shop and express your displeasure. Ask them if their regulations leak on the surface.

Reactions: L13
If my knob is all the way out, itll leak at surface.

But it sure as heck wont be hard to breath at depth.

If my knob is all the way out, itll leak at surface.
That can happen ... you just have to quit twisting your knob,

It used to, but it's more gimmick than anything. I carry a small IP gauge and the appropriate hex wrench to adjust my second stage. I borrow a bucket for use as a magnahelic and I'm gold.
Hi, I sent you an email. Looking forward for your reply :D

It's service like this that caused me to start doing my own service work. My repair kit (on every trip) has all the tools (outside ultrasonic and cleaning fluid) to take apart, replace parts, and inline adjust my regs. I also have a spare reg set for urgent swaps.
I brought my gear in for service and if I had used it as I got it back I would have been sucking water. Response I got from store was basically the same - not their problem. So now it's not their customer. I did find a dive shop I'd trust with my gear, but now I'd just rather do it myself and I "know" what and how the work was done.

Back
Top Bottom