Regulator issues after servicing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arcie

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all. I’m a newer diver, have my own regs, and recently had them serviced. The regs are an Aqualung Mikron 1st and 2nd stage with an Aqualung ABS octo.

I did not get a chance to pool test them before leaving for the dive trip I’m currently on (Cozumel, and I did test them on a brief shore dive once here). After a few boat dives, I noticed the second stage hissing at the end of the dive - not a full free flow, but definitely leaking air. On the dives prior to that, I was also blowing through air like I’ve never done before . I expected to use more air than normal since I’m new to drift diving, but not to this extent. Additionally, I found that the work of breathing was much harder at around 60ft than I’ve experienced before the regs were serviced, with the adjustment knob fully open. I stopped using my regs and switched to the shop’s regs.

I’ll be taking the regs back to the shop that serviced them, but was hoping to get some advice here about what might be causing the leak.

It can be many things from a seat in the second which should be easy to adjust to an issue with the HP seat in the first stage, if you can find an IP gauge it would/could help narrow it down.

if you can find an IP gauge it would/could help narrow it down.
If you know how to use it!

Why not get the dive op to check it out if you trust them, assuming they service their own regs.

If you know how to use it!

Why not get the dive op to check it out if you trust them, assuming they service their own regs.
Yes, assuming “if” he had one he would know how to use it, also assuming he didn’t have one and he would ask someone in the shop. I will also assume that someone there can fix it. How the original shop responds will tell you if you want to avoid them in the future.

lexvil is correct. Too high IP and/or a 2nd stage seat not cycled enough times and/or damage to the seat can cause free-flowing. If the seat is ok, usually a slight adjustment of the 2nd stage poppet will stop the free-flow. As I recall the Mikron 2nd is similar to the old Scubapro 109 design with a valve body and adjustable volcano orifice. There is probably a special in-line adjustment tool available although it is easier just to take it back to the shop, act all pissy and ask why their service tech tried to kill you. 😀 (ok, maybe not go that far 😇, just talk slowly and don't use big words so they understand 😎).

Thanks for the help all, much appreciated! I‘ve already left the island but will be keeping Javier’s details in case of any issues next time. I’m looking forward to seeing how my local shop handles this 🤣

Thanks for the help all, much appreciated! I‘ve already left the island but will be keeping Javier’s details in case of any issues next time. I’m looking forward to seeing how my local shop handles this 🤣
Yes Javier does pretty good work. I think they can even come pick up your regulator from you if you are in a bind to get to him. One of the most common issues for regulator problems is after they are serviced.....

I'm curious - particularly for them folks that do their own service -

Do your SAD kit include an inline adjustment tool of a bi-orientation (both flat blade and hex)? My SAD kit may have to get just a little bit bigger. (it does include a smallish IP gauge-and a adapter for the honking SP Air2 hose QD fitting...)

Granted an appropriate screwdriver or a hex key might take less room but might throw you into a trial-and-error exercise that an inline tool would short circuit.

While I have the tools to bust off the hose from a reg, then what?

I wouldn't usually consider adjustment of that nature something to do mid-trip, but ....

OMMOHY

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom