Seeking the DIR Answer: Must DIR Shops be Committed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(Take a class with Scuba and Dream already!)

Now, that is very tempting.

Kevrumbo, I think you should be the DIR posterboy. (tied with onfloat)

You have a very straightforward to the point way about you...must be all that salsa dancing! well, except for your PPD clashes.

I do wish Sherman could teach a class on getting out of your BP/W in rough water---I know they do it, in steel doubles too. That is Impressive! Diving off the RIB...I need to see how they do that. I find it the most terrifying part of the dive most days.

That's interesting. If you become a GUE instructor you're actually monitored and if you dive outside DIR protocols openly, you're out?

I think they call it peer reviewed Hank.

and what you and I need to be concerned about, is the pre-screening for demeanor. One could actually be asked to leave immediately based on your reputation before getting to class, I think.

Really, I was almost feeling guilty about my OP, but I did get some very articulate, well considered posts from some seemingly very thoughtful DIR shops from various continents. Basically they say it is an issue they grapple with and there is no easy answer. They want high standards and that must be balanced in an ongoing way with market forces. Exclusive and yet not so exclusive it is not attainable by enough people to keep the approach viable. That made sense to me.

Thanks Tim, nice posts, very helpful.

catherine96821:
So, I just finished reading all the GUE standards, Kev

I guess you can't do that lost mask drill in the fish holds...just so ya know.:D

very interesting the standards part about awarding two cards from two agencies at the same time.
I'm still not sure I totally understand why that would happen. Maybe...does TDI have to recert as often?

Actually, I found my answer in the standards pdf file.

GUE is the only agency which has expiration dates on student cards. The idea is that the student submits their dive log to their certifying instructor as evidence of continuing to dive at that level since completing class. If I hang up my doubles for 3 years and walk away from diving, I don't think i would be prudent for me to throw them on a go dive the hydro tomorrow.....

When it comes to cave and tech instruction, many instructors maintain affiliation w/ multiple agencies. When GUE was first starting out, a number of folks never heard of it, or would not recognize the GUE card. In the cave community, there are still some places which only recognize NACD or CDS cards, for these reasons, they left the standards open such that the instructors could issue cards from multiple agencies provided the students satisfied the requirements of all programs.

When I recently completed full cave; I was issued a NACD and TDI card.

Hank49:
That's interesting. If you become a GUE instructor you're actually monitored and if you dive outside DIR protocols openly, you're out?
That seems a bit extreme. As long as you officially teach within the rules, what does GUE care if an instructor dives 150 feet on air on his/her own time? Or uses non DIR gear sometimes? Do they even have a legal right to revoke one's license for that?
Ever heard of "Leadership by Example" ? :rolleyes:

Would someone please post the "rules" of DIR. I know the first one. #1) Don't dive with strokes. What are the rest of them? Does all equip. have to be black?

Are you serious?

Buried w/in the thread....
http://www.thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1514

Rule #1 - Don't dive with strokes
Rule #2 - Don't listen to strokes
Also listed later...
Rule #2---Neutrally buoyant and in control of your own buoyancy at all times....
Rules #3/4/5 are lost on the ages....
Rule #6 - always look cool (squared away)

The whole 'black' issue is a fashion creation of the dive industry as a whole.... simply put, everything goes with black. Manufactures have gotten some of the msg, and your seeing options, i.e. DR has blue and reg wings, OMS makes their wings available in reg, and tons of options w/ suits...

-Tim

TSandM:
I don't take offense to the question, but I live in the real world, and I don't see DIR as a religion, where one step from grace and you are forever damned.

I think the DIR philosphy is an excellent way to dive. I like it. I try very hard to observe the principles I've been taught, and follow the procedures and protocols. But I don't always manage that. I did a dive the other night where we didn't do a full dive plan or a full team head-to-toe equipment check. These were people I didn't know -- my first dive with them -- and we were going crabbing in 40 feet of water. I knew how much gas I had, how much they had, and how long we intended to be down. I looked at my buddies and satisfied myself that they were tidy, and I checked all my own gear as I always do. Would my Fundies instructor have been happy with me? No. Did my Fundies instructor go diving one day where he was being towed around on somebody else's scooter? Yes. Thinking divers make risk-benefit decisions all the time. Nobody's "pure DIR". I'll bet JJ's jumped in the water without doing the GUE EDGE thing on occasion . . .

Vayu, I find it sad that you were initially very sold on the DIR approach, and something has disillusioned you to the point of being angry. I learned in my teens, with respect to religion, that people are human and you do the best you can to get by, and it isn't always adhering strictly to principles you may approve of and even try to pass on to others.

DIR's a good system. Sainthood is not required.

Very well said! Couldn't agree more. Thanks for posting it.

netmage:
Buried w/in the thread....
http://www.thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1514

Rule #1 - Don't dive with strokes
Rule #2 - Don't listen to strokes
Also listed later...
Rule #2---Neutrally buoyant and in control of your own buoyancy at all times....
Rules #3/4/5 are lost on the ages....
Rule #6 - always look cool (squared away)

The whole 'black' issue is a fashion creation of the dive industry as a whole.... simply put, everything goes with black. Manufactures have gotten some of the msg, and your seeing options, i.e. DR has blue and reg wings, OMS makes their wings available in reg, and tons of options w/ suits...

-Tim

Those were mostly the GI3 and KPP folks spouting that back in the day... The GUE people I know tend to shy away from the "stroke" crap.

Rule #6, however will always be a good one. :)

catherine96821:
Now, that is very tempting.

Kevrumbo, I think you should be the DIR posterboy. (tied with onfloat)

You have a very straightforward to the point way about you...must be all that salsa dancing! well, except for your PPD clashes.

I do wish Sherman could teach a class on getting out of your BP/W in rough water---I know they do it, in steel doubles too. That is Impressive! Diving off the RIB...I need to see how they do that. I find it the most terrifying part of the dive most days.
<snip>
Gawd no . . .don't want to be the "Posterboy/Lightning Rod" --give that distinction to Onfloat representing the Hawaiian Islands.:wink:

In Latin & Ballroom Dance, you've got to be certain and decisive in your leading technique, or else it'll look like one big CF out there on the dancefloor --same goes for captaining a Dive. In both instances, it takes a lot of hard practice and dedication, but the learning process can be enjoyable & fun. As for clashes with the PPD (and certain hosers in this Forum) --where Ignorance is Bliss, 'tis Folly to be Wise. . .:mooner:

And finally as for getting out of your BP/W in rough water --undo your drysuit hose (if you have one), remove your necklaced bungie reg, fully deploy and breath off your primary long hose reg; undo your waistbelt & crotch and just simply dip & duck out of the shoulder harness. Inflate the wing and swim the whole kit over to the boat. Prep it for recovery by clipping-off & coiling your long hose along with everything else (backup reg, light & cord etc) in the center between the shoulder straps, and secure it all by stretching the crotch strap up and over (hook the loop of the crotch strap over your Isolator Valve or Tank Valve to lock it in place). Help with the haul-out of the rig by pushing up on the tank bottoms, while the boatman is pulling the rig up over the gunwhale.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom