Seeking the DIR Answer: Must DIR Shops be Committed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well here are a couple of different versions of the rules.

DIR rules

#1 Don’t dive with strokes
#2 Don’t listen to strokes
#3 Nothing underwater is worth dying for
#4 Always analyze your mix before every dive
#5 Don’t dive a rebreather unless you need it
#6 Always look good.

Option #1 Don’t Dive

Or here is a different version
The Rules:
#1: Don't dive with Strokes.
#2: Don't listen to Strokes.
#3a: Each diver is responsible for the contents of his own cylinder.
#3b: Always analyze your mix before every dive.
#4: Don't find solutions for problems that don't exist.
#5: Nothing underwater is worth dying for.
#6: Always look cool.
#7: If you can't look cool doing it, it's not worth doing it in the first place.
#8: Don't dive a reabreather unless you need it.

The Option:
#1: Don't dive

Advice:
#1 Don't go blind on the advice of a dive shop owner.

From your local poster boy.:lotsalove:

rigdiver:
Yes, I am. Please make a list for all of us that are not fundies certified.

You will not learn these "Rules" on a fundies class. The only places you will find out about them are on internet forums.

HTH

John

SparticleBrane:
Ever heard of "Leadership by Example" ? :rolleyes:

Wow, thank you for enlightening me.
But this is more like a motorcycle riding instructor, teaching safety riding, control etc, racing Grand Prix or motocross on weekends. Is that bad? Does that make a bad riding instructor?

Hank49:
Wow, thank you for enlightening me.
But this is more like a motorcycle riding instructor, teaching safety riding, control etc, racing Grand Prix or motocross on weekends. Is that bad? Does that make a bad riding instructor?

DIR is first and foremost a philosophy. So, I'd think the analogy of say a buddist monk (pacifist) signing up for the UFC would be more appropriate....

Rule # 1.5 You can Rule # 1 DIR trained divers as well.

remove your necklaced bungie reg, fully deploy and breath off your primary long hose reg; undo your waistbelt & crotch and just simply dip & duck out of the shoulder harness. Inflate the wing and swim the whole kit over to the boat. Prep it for recovery by clipping-off & coiling your long hose along with everything else (backup reg, light & cord etc) in the center between the shoulder straps, and secure it all by stretching the crotch strap up and over (hook the loop of the crotch strap over your Isolator Valve or Tank Valve to lock it in place). Help with the haul-out of the rig by pushing up on the tank bottoms, while the boatman is pulling the rig up over the gunwhale.
Thanks, RockJock is clean at this, and somtimes I am okay, but rough water is really a challenge. Doing it far enough from the stern makes me feel vulnerable if I get in trouble (tangled up by a wave) but too close to the props is even worse.
I'll study his method tomorrow. And drifting....this could be *the thing* that gets me. I might rule number one myself on these dives or get a cam. Onfloat...did you get out of steel doubles in the water?

(Tim, what is UFC?)

catherine96821:
(Tim, what is UFC?)

Ultimate Fighting Championship- it's the superbowl of mixed martial arts submission fighting- two guys fighting in the octogon until one guy gives up or can't continue. Sure monks probably woulnd't go to fight in UFC, but if they did, I bet they would hand out some big time *** whoopings.

Vayu:
Rule # 1.5 You can Rule # 1 DIR trained divers as well.

Hmmm. I've never dived with a GUE-trained diver whom I felt unsafe. Have you?

TheRedHead:
Hmmm. I've never dived with a GUE-trained diver whom I felt unsafe. Have you?
yup, more than one. (Maybe unsafe is too strong, possibly it was more of a scratching my head moment).

The best instructor in the world can't fix a lazy diver with a poor/unsafe attitude.....well, not in a couple days anyway.

I think the biggest hang up here is that DIR is a journey,a work in progress so to speak, and not a destination. People need to realize this and move along.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom