Seeking the DIR Answer: Must DIR Shops be Committed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevrumbo:
Ask Chuck Mather at Dive Tek Hawaii on the Big Island. He was my TDI Trimix Instructor who taught "DIR-compliant" Techniques & Procedures, and was considering undergoing the ITC path for Fundies Instructor, with Bob Sherwood as a mentor. . .

And why don't you ask Jo Hjelm over at Island Divers Oahu too Cath? (They'll be hosting a Fundies Class on 24 Aug). Jo is currently GUE Cave 1 Certified and a TDI Instructor, and was my first Wreck Instructor who utilized, applied and taught the same overhead techniques that he himself learned in his GUE Cave Class. . .
Jo and IDH are hosting GUE Fundies?, damn, just after I left....Jo actually incorporates DIR in almost everything he teaches and he is a great Instructor/Diver, and there are others on Oahu that dive DIR, GUE though is a realm all it's own within the DIR community IMHO.
C, are you bored with the hubby gone? You gonna take me diving in October?:D

Maybe Brian is right, I do need a ladder (shhh)

C, are you bored with the hubby gone? You gonna take me diving in October?

definetly, I need to watch you ditch those doubles and long hose in the water. I know you guys have done some rough water divin in that RIB.
GUE though is a realm all it's own within the DIR community
not trying to cause trouble, but how so? ...Jimbo, what portion of your weight is on your rig?

Just curious...
Do DIR divers start out as DIR divers? I would think most move toward DIR after some time...after their PADI OW and AOW. So if DIR shops were only DIR shops, you would have to stop going to your LDS, seek out a DIR only shop (if you could find one) and shop only there. Hmm... My PADI OW instructor is a DUI diver, soon even to be a Fundies Instructor. He tought me well. He explained to me what DIR was and some of the principles when we were talking about my gear choices. He does, when I see him, encourage me to taste the kool-aid, but he sells me what want. I was fortunate to have him as an instructor, as his expertise from DIR showed through and translated well in the class (little things like no kneeling on the bottom). I feel comfortable with him at my LDS because I can ask questions on gear and get answers, not just DIR answers, though I get those too. He has made a lot of money from me, selling me some stuff that would never pass DIR muster, and some that would. If he gets me to drink the kool-aid (please don't get me wrong, I respect the DIR crowd, some of the best divers I have ever seen and some darn good people..there is A LOT to be said for a true team player), but if he ever get's me over to the dark side, he will profit even more as I will have to buy some new gear...and it will be from him. He has earned my trust and respect. My point is simple, DIR in not an intro to diving, and the DIR shops and instructor should by all means be able to teach the intro stuff (PADI, NAUI, etc.). If you don't first get people interested in diving and in the water, you will never get them into DIR. THe DIR crowd should encurage all new divers, this is where their ranks will come from.

That may just happen with the eventual roll-out of GUE's Basic Open Water Course. . .

TheRedHead:
Why is it that every time Catherine starts a thread it turns into a wabbit hunt? :wink:

If I understood that properly,:rofl3:.

onfloat:
You make it sound as if we don't. And you assume we want ranks.

No, with comments like that, YOU make it sounds like you don't encourage new divers. And yes, I do make assumptions. None of which I have ever posted. It would violate the TOS. I have no real desire to go into a gang forum and talk about the gang mentality, or reasons people get involed in gangs, or make any assumptions about gang members. But, this is not a gang forum is it? It's DIR, totally different right? So no reason for me to make assumtions.

I am sure all the DIR folks are plannning to cancel all upcoming Fundies classes, because they don't want ranks. The manufaturers that make DIR equipment are closing up shop, and not selling to new people because they don't want ranks. If I were to "assume" I would say you are not really speaking or acting for your group. The problem with eiltist groups is that one member's attitude could ruin the public perception for everyone. What if we thought all baseball players were just like Barry Bonds? The DIR crowd does want to bring new people in. I know DIR divers who would be very helpfull if I asked, and never look down on me because I don't.

It is sad that just a smal handfull of people posting on internet threads have given the entire community such a bad rep. With comments like "And you assume we want ranks" , it's easy to see how a thread like this started.

DIR, Doing It Right, (IMHO) should not only apply to underwater activities, but to the way you conduct yourself always. Check with your team before making such comments, you may be surprised.

robertarak:
No, with comments like that, YOU make it sounds like you don't encourage new divers. And yes, I do make assumptions. None of which I have ever posted. It would violate the TOS. I have no real desire to go into a gang forum and talk about the gang mentality, or reasons people get involed in gangs, or make any assumptions about gang members. But, this is not a gang forum is it? It's DIR, totally different right? So no reason for me to make assumtions.

I am sure all the DIR folks are plannning to cancel all upcoming Fundies classes, because they don't want ranks. The manufaturers that make DIR equipment are closing up shop, and not selling to new people because they don't want ranks. If I were to "assume" I would say you are not really speaking or acting for your group. The problem with eiltist groups is that one member's attitude could ruin the public perception for everyone. What if we thought all baseball players were just like Barry Bonds? The DIR crowd does want to bring new people in. I know DIR divers who would be very helpfull if I asked, and never look down on me because I don't.

It is sad that just a smal handfull of people posting on internet threads have given the entire community such a bad rep. With comments like "And you assume we want ranks" , it's easy to see how a thread like this started.

DIR, Doing It Right, (IMHO) should not only apply to underwater activities, but to the way you conduct yourself always. Check with your team before making such comments, you may be surprised.

Sargeant Hulka: "Lighten up, Francis."

Oh, man, Robert, you're going off on the wrong guy. Onfloat is one of the most reasonable and softest-spoken DIR folks we have on the board!

His point is actually a good one. The primary training agencies survive by recruiting -- Enlisting new divers is a huge part of their marketing strategy. GUE professes to have no interest in doing that sort of thing. People come to THEM. You don't see ads for Fundies classes in Scuba Diver magazine (or anywhere else). Mr. Jablonski has said that GUE's vision is not massive expansion of the instructor cadre, but rather, keeping the organization tight enough to maintain extremely high standards.

Onfloat wasn't being rude or dismissive -- He was making a valid point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom