Seeking the DIR Answer: Must DIR Shops be Committed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
or did someone say a GUE Instructor could teach other classes? (I thought Mania did)

Is she a GUE instructor? I know a couple of GUE trained divers who are instructors, but not GUE instructors. There's a big difference.

catherine96821:
or did someone say a GUE Instructor could teach other classes? (I thought Mania did)

My GUE instructor is a PADI MSDT, though he doesn't teach many PADI classes himself, but he has an army of instructors that teachs most of his open water classes. He is however an active Technical Instructor with NAUI and those are the majority of the classes he teaches. Nothing in the GUE standards prohibits you from teaching classes from other training organizations.

Are you asking in a roundabout way if you were to complete a GUE instructor path would you still be able to dive however you wanted to outside of classes?

The answer would be sorta. If you flaunted your strokery ways I imagine they'd kick you out. If you quietly took people on tours or solo dived without making a spectacle of yourself I doubt anyone would notice or care. Likewise if you chain smoked publically or discretely.

thanks,

I did read the list of instructors, fairly well educated group, relatively speaking.

Have I been under a rock? I thought they did not do rebreathers?

My GUE instructor is a PADI MSDT,
yes, that link was helpful and I see that many have assorted backgrounds. So if someone was a TDI instructor AND a GUE instructor would they just teach according to the agency standards for that class? Or do they evolve in one direction or another?

SparticleBrane:
Yes, but the buoyancy, trim, and non-silting kicks taught in GUE-F are a nice addition if you're taking someone on a cavern tour. :wink:
Of course, that's assuming that only DIR-F grads are going to have those skills ... or that everyone who's ever been through a DIR-F class will ...

One of the things that torques me sometimes about DIR is that it's proponents can be a bit *too* exclusive. When we went to Coz, Lynne really wanted to do her cavern tours with Danny. Since I was going with Cheng ... who has never taken a DIR class ... I sent him a series of e-mails inquiring whether or not it would be possible for her to join us.

His response was to not respond ... so, when Lynne and KMD went off to do their cavern tours, we (non-DIR types) found something else to do.

A polite "no" would've been better than getting ignored ... we did end up going with a non-DIR guide on our final day. I've got some video ... and I'd be willing to bet Cheng's buoyancy control is at least as good as that of most DIR-F grads ... better than many I've seen.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
A polite "no" would've been better than getting ignored ... we did end up going with a non-DIR guide on our final day. I've got some video ... and I'd be willing to bet Cheng's buoyancy control is at least as good as that of most DIR-F grads ... better than many I've seen.

Lynne mentioned you went my instructor, Mateo, who is an excellent diver.

TheRedHead:
Lynne mentioned you went my instructor, Mateo, who is an excellent diver.
That is correct ... on both counts ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In Danny's defense, he wasn't answering my e-mails, either -- Something was clearly not right with e-mail going through the DIR Mexico server. I do not at all believe that Danny didn't respond in an effort to discourage discussing Cheng diving with us. If Bob will recall, Danny was actually quite angry with me when we showed up for our first day with him, because he thought FIVE divers were coming.

What he wrote to me when I asked the question early on was that they generally don't do tours for non-Fundies folk, but their big issue was that anyone they take touring should have Fundies-level SKILLS. He was willing to talk about it, but then the e-mail thing went south. (It still is very intermittent.)

(Edited to add: Oops, using Peter's laptop at the horse show, and it's logged me in as him. This is actually TSandM, as anybody familiar with Peter's and my posts would realize . . .)

This has little or nothing to do with catherine's question, but I couldn't let it go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom