Secure for Ike

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I 'talked' to guy in Houston the day before Ike on an LSU board that said he went to buy a generator there in Houston last week and was told 'we are out, all the Louisiana people already bought them' ----I think meaning their supply was gone because of the shortage presented by Gustav......

I'm afraid that enough generators don't exist and most will not be able to buy one. The lines are going to be long in Houston for everything...

My mother was able to salvage quite a bit today. She wasn't crying anymore and she is ready to cleanup and move on. The marketplace where she has her shop is planning on repairing the roof and they should be open in a couple of weeks. My mother cleaned up her front yard today for 5 hours and put red tape as a perimeter for the downed power lines in her back yard. She wants me to stay put until roads get better and debris gets cleared.

I'm afraid that enough generators don't exist and most will not be able to buy one. The lines are going to be long in Houston for everything...[/quote

Agree.........it was probaly just small talk going on but---that's one of the reasons why my Generac's going to see a new home--- for a while......

My mother was able to salvage quite a bit today. She wasn't crying anymore and she is ready to cleanup and move on. The marketplace where she has her shop is planning on repairing the roof and they should be open in a couple of weeks. My mother cleaned up her front yard today for 5 hours and put red tape as a perimeter for the downed power lines in her back yard. She wants me to stay put until roads get better and debris gets cleared.

sorry Deb to hear of your Mother's shop---where is it located???......

Ike hit Indiana with 80 mph winds still; Chicago area is looking at flood conditions; 85,000 in Missouri without power and some flooding.

Just heard a KHOU anchor ask a rep from one of the electric companies why his has not restored to any customers. He was very defensive, insulted the anchor, but didn't offer an explanation. I'm sure it is frustrating to have a home in good shape but be without electricity, especially in that swamp. The longest I've ever been without was a couple of days, in the winter - with propane heaters that worked. Centerpoint says it could be up to 4 weeks for some in the city.

I've certainly never been thru a hurricane and my heart goes out to those who sit thru this one. I have some questions in my mind tho; anyone want to help me here...?

I keep 15 to 20 gallons of bottled water on hand just for me on a normal basis, in sealed, sterile, gallon jugs. I guess I could be okay on liquids and sponge baths for a week or so in the worst. But things seem desperate there?

Flushing the toilet would be missed, but I have a shovel and a back yard if necessary in emergencies. Not appealing, but with deep holes for a while...?

An electric generator would be a great thing to have. They cost $500 and up right, plus gas that must be stored safely. Do they not get $30 battery powered carbon monoxide detectors? Every home should have at least one if not one in every bed room, but I read about dozens ill and one tot who died?

Or maybe it's me...??

Ike hit us in Ohio with 60mph gusts and some "scary strong" sustained winds that took out trees and power lines but we didn't get any rain. Y'all can HAVE your hurricanes! We were incredibly lucky to avoid any damage since we live on 18 acres of woods. Had quite a few trees come down but nothing other than small branches hit the house or the yard. Hubby did have to cut one small tree that fell across the driveway early in the storm. My sister, her boyfriend and I were working on Mom's house and a neighbor had several large trees go down. One across his driveway, one in his yard, one on his truck and one took out the corner of his garage. Power went out about 3:30pm for Mom's neighborhood and for mine so we all headed for home dodging flying tree parts and detouring around downed power lines. Her boyfriend had his other car parked at his house and one of his trees fell on it.

Hubby and I opted to get out of the woods and hole up at my in-laws place since they were out of town. They still had power though it did go out for about half an hour. The local library lost half of their roof, the metal peeled off and landed in the street.

Wind died down right before dark so we went out to the house to see if we had power yet. No luck so we went ahead and spent the night at the in-laws.

My boss lives about half an hour south of me and said his storm door ripped off of the house and disappeared then his front door imploded into the house.

That's as close to a hurricane as I EVER want to come.

Hope everyone is safe, good luck!
Ber :lilbunny:

sorry Deb to hear of your Mother's shop---where is it located???......

I-10 and the Beltway, there is a large Antique Marketplace. She is going back today to move stuff around and cleanup. I told her yesterday I was very proud of her and that all she can do is just keep pushing forward, cleanup and rebuild. She wondered why does it feel like she is always starting over? I told her I feel the same way a lot of the times. It just happens, it's just life. If I have learned one thing at 41 years of age, take it one day at a time.

Ike hit us in Ohio with 60mph gusts and some "scary strong" sustained winds that took out trees and power lines but we didn't get any rain. Y'all can HAVE your hurricanes! Ber :lilbunny:
We are not happy to 'share' IKE. However, we are so lucky the storm moved quickly. Anymore rain here would have made the situation much worse.

Also, thanks for the folks to the west for sending us a cool front.

vanessar

DD, I'm thinking it's you......No one here--and there were many(generators) agoin' locally for Ike and 100% of our little city agoin' (for 1-3 weeks) for Rita--that I'm aware of has a battery powered CO detector......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom