Secure for Ike

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nah it'll be softer, and they don't have that shallow end of the pool you have around the Gulf for storm surge to bank up on. Glad things are looking better.

As of today, Friday the 26th, Metro Houston still has over 500,000 without power(don't know if they meant meters or total estimated people)...sister in law in Humble got hers back this afternoon............but in reality, they all caught a break.......We(in SW Louisiana) were without juice for 9 days post Rita----the 1st 5 days afterward the temp hit 97+degrees with over 75% humidity----IT WAS HOT......about 3 months after Rita, I bought a small 5000btu window A/C & never used it till I brought it to our daughter's in Houston post Ike.......It's getting better & with these fronts starting to come thru, think the season is about over-----TILL NEXT JUNE+........

It's interesting how aggravated people get around here. You honestly could not have asked for better weather for a major power outage, it was beautiful outside. Normally it's an ice storm that knocks out power though it's not normally so widespread but ice really complicates getting it turned back on. You don't lose all your food either, you just take it outside and it stays cold. This could also have happened when the temp and humidity were high.

Most people around here don't have generators so having all their food go bad really ticked some people off. I know several people who buy sides of beef and had it all go bad.

Maybe it's a wake-up call for Ohio, an illustration of how ill-prepared we really are for a disaster. I'm hoping people will learn from this and get whatever they need so they are prepared if something like this happens again. We may not be blessed with perfect conditions after the next disaster.
Ber :lilbunny:

It's interesting how aggravated people get around here. You honestly could not have asked for better weather for a major power outage, it was beautiful outside. Normally it's an ice storm that knocks out power though it's not normally so widespread but ice really complicates getting it turned back on. You don't lose all your food either, you just take it outside and it stays cold. This could also have happened when the temp and humidity were high.

Most people around here don't have generators so having all their food go bad really ticked some people off. I know several people who buy sides of beef and had it all go bad.

Maybe it's a wake-up call for Ohio, an illustration of how ill-prepared we really are for a disaster. I'm hoping people will learn from this and get whatever they need so they are prepared if something like this happens again. We may not be blessed with perfect conditions after the next disaster.Ber :lilbunny:

agree, even a smaller 2 or 3 kw generator(most here are running 5-6 kw gas portable ones) would power probably everything you need to............And as we speak, I'm getting ready to install a 14 kw stand alone backup natural gas generator----instant power & no fuel lines to sit in post storm...........

Back
Top Bottom