Secure for Ike

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wish I could think of something I could help with, but any volunteers who show up are also people to be shelter, fed & supplied, more to fill the porta potties - so I don't guess I have the skills to offset such.

Come to Ohio and help get our power back on or even help clean up downed trees and branches :D We're not having a ton of trouble with food, supplies and potties since the outages are spotty in some areas and you can just drive a bit to find somewhere with power. Generators can't be found. Finding C and D cell batteries, ice and dry ice is a bit of a sporting event but you can get what you need with a little determination and some exploring.
Ber :lilbunny:

Finally !!! power is back on... been 3 days without. I am in Harris county Texas and have seen allot of damage here. All food in the fridge is wasted... been trying to get ice for the last 2 days. Lucky for us, we were prepared with enough water and propane for cooking and boiling water. Very little gas stations open and the ones that are have long long lines.Have taken a few pictures and will try and post them as soon as I can.

Side note.... was supposed to go out on the MV Spree on the 20th to the Flower Gardens... Good News... talked to the folks and the boats are fine. As of now, the trip is still on... Will need the de-stress from this last week.

Wife and I traveled yesterday from SW Louisiana thru Vidor, Beaumont, & on into the Heights of Houston(downtown) to bring supplies(11 bags of ice, plywoods, food staples, water, 55 gal of fuel & our generator) and help blue roof her's & her bestfriend's houses yesterday(Wednesday)------saw LOTS of damage everywhere.....but they'll make it.......Our thoughts and prayers go out to the people affected in SW La and SE Texas..........But in reality, the 'fastest' trip time wise we've made----NOT Much Traffic..

Come to Ohio and help get our power back on or even help clean up downed trees and branches :D We're not having a ton of trouble with food, supplies and potties since the outages are spotty in some areas and you can just drive a bit to find somewhere with power. Generators can't be found. Finding C and D cell batteries, ice and dry ice is a bit of a sporting event but you can get what you need with a little determination and some exploring.

Yeah, it's kind of funny (funny as in 'ironic', not laughing at you being without power) to me that Ohio got that slammed by Ike. My parents are up there (Dayton area) and were all worried about us in the DFW area since we were supposed to still see potentially Class 1 type hurricane conditions. Instead we didn't see a wind gust above 25 mph, and got a whole half-inch of rain at most...and they're still without power as of yesterday when I talked to my Mom last.

Weather is weird....

Yeah, it's kind of funny (funny as in 'ironic', not laughing at you being without power) to me that Ohio got that slammed by Ike. My parents are up there (Dayton area) and were all worried about us in the DFW area since we were supposed to still see potentially Class 1 type hurricane conditions. Instead we didn't see a wind gust above 25 mph, and got a whole half-inch of rain at most...and they're still without power as of yesterday when I talked to my Mom last.

Weather is weird....

Freaky huh?

Our power finally came back sometime between 7pm and 5am (I called and the answering machine picked up at 5am) so tonight I get to stay in my own house :D One neighborhood in Dayton has been informed they will be out of power for 3 more weeks because every transformer in the neighborhood has to be replaced. Evidently they have to inform you if your power is going to be out for an extended period so if DP&L doesn't knock on your door the power should be back in a couple days...latest projection is Monday.

I have friends in Houston, they had power the whole time.

Ike was much more powerful than Katrina. Cyclone categories are based on maximum wind speeds but better measurements of power now exist and are used by some. Dr.Master's gave more accurate warnings as usual including this aspect. The good news is that Dr.M thinks we'll have another week of quiet. I-93 did form within the Caribbean, but wind shear is challenging its development.

I93.gif

More Cape Verde-type storms are possible, but not for a while. Now is not the time, but in the near future - Texas really may need to consider requiring stronger building codes on coastal counties. This couple lost their home to Rita, but had a contractor replace it with one built to take one virtually anything nature can dish out.

Screen02_edited.JPG

I'm sure that builder can write his own business ticket now...! :eyebrow:

Has anyone heard from Dee and Beast? I wonder how they fared?

A lady in my office did not show for work Monday. Saturday, she and her husband woke up went to Home Depot and a Super Walmart. They loaded their Suburban and trailer with 3000 lbs of supplies they learned from their own experiences would be needed. Drove the 16 hrs and mounted their own little relief effort.

I asked her when she returned who she knew in Texas. She replied "no one"

Wow. I bet she does now...

Ike was much more powerful than Katrina. Cyclone categories are based on maximum wind speeds but better measurements of power now exist and are used by some. Dr.Master's gave more accurate warnings as usual including this aspect. The good news is that Dr.M thinks we'll have another week of quiet. I-93 did form within the Caribbean, but wind shear is challenging its development.

More Cape Verde-type storms are possible, but not for a while. Now is not the time, but in the near future - Texas really may need to consider requiring stronger building codes on coastal counties. This couple lost their home to Rita, but had a contractor replace it with one built to take one virtually anything nature can dish out.

I'm sure that builder can write his own business ticket now...! :eyebrow:

It's called the I.K.E.(Intergrated Kenetic Energy).......no pun intended.........A much better way of assessing a storm.........From what I have read, Carla topped IKE in the I.K.E..

Katrina had stronger winds and the location that it hit did more damage because the surge was higher in a localized area that took out more homes and businesses further inland than any other storms in recent memory. The storm was over and the damage was over until.... the levees broke, and the water filled up the bowl that is the city of New Orleans.

Now I am not saying that Katrina was a larger storm than Ike which had more energy because of its larger size, and affected a larger area than Katrina. I agree that there should be an improvement to the current way of measuring hurricanes that combines at least three components: wind speed (Saffir Simpson scale), hurricane size (extent of tropical force winds), and hurricane speed (momentum and forward motion increases intensity). Another variable in the equation is angle of impact. If the hurricane moves over an island or other land mass on the west side, the damage is not as bad as if it moves over the island or other land mass in its right side or Northeast quadrant.

So in my opinion, the Saffir-Simpson scale is only one measure of a hurricane. Unfortunately, there is no integrated categorization that I know of that includes Saffir-Simpson scale, storm size and forward speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom