Secure for Ike

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can anyone give me any info on Abilene??

It doesn't look like Ike made it that far but maybe close, My daughter and her husband live there and I can't get hold of them.

Thanks.

Can anyone give me any info on Abilene??

It doesn't look like Ike made it that far but maybe close, My daughter and her husband live there and I can't get hold of them.

Thanks.
I don't think he hit there at all. Lowell sent moisture up from Baja causing heavy rains in Lubbock and northeast thru where I am, but no biggie really. If you search Google News for Abilene, not much there. I'm sure you're anxious, but should be no problem.

The carnage of Ike is over I suppose, short of possible flooding as he breaks up dumping rain on Arkansas, Missouri, and on up thru the Midwest. Computers show him continuing along the St.Lawrence river then out across the Atlantic, but I suppose those will be simple rains and or maybe thunderstorms. It's been a rough 24 hours. I'm a long way for any direct affect, but they're still Texans - still my people.

I've been watching the news a lot as Ike and his surge approach, then slammed, then left for Dallas. They don't know I'm with them in heart, but I do. Wish I could do something, I'm tempted to fly in, but I'd just be in the way I suppose. They seem to be well organized in the various municipalities and their departments in how to deal with priorities.

I've always watched for any similarities with New Orleans after Katrina. Haven't noticed any; have you? The layout of the land is different, and the damages are not the same, but then - still pretty challenging in the swamp known as Houston Metro. No below sea level buidlings I guess; maybe that is the big difference.

All in all, we seem to be getting encouraging news, spirits good, help incoming, well organized, stores reopening Sunday to provide for the needs.

We are Texas. We survive. We resolve. We endure.

Does anyone know how Moody Gardens in Galveston and the Johnson Space Center in Clear Lake City fared?

Here is the good news.

All the refineries in the area escaped major damage. They should be fully back online in two weeks (they are 20% of the total US refining capacity).

The storm surge that hit Galveston was about 11-14'. The seawall held and protected the city. A lot of flooding but no repeat of the 1900 storm that would have happened if a 20+ storm surge hit the city.

The road Nasa 1 is open in Clear Lake, but a lot of low area are flooded to waist and chest deep.

Ike was bad, but not nearly as bad as expected.

Does anyone know how Moody Gardens in Galveston and the Johnson Space Center in Clear Lake City fared?
Haven't heard a thing on either? Looked on google...

Excerpting from Moody Gardens closed due to 'substantial mess' | GALVESTON COUNTY | KHOU.com | News for Houston, Texas "There were no breeches of seawater to the Aquarium Pyramid. "

Minor damage at NASA's Johnson Space Center

HOUSTON -- NASA's Johnson Space Center appears to have weathered Hurricane Ike rather well, Houston emergency management officials said Saturday.

A portion of Mission Control's roof was damaged and a number of trees limbs fell as well as some lamp poles. There is also minor cosmetic damage to some of the Johnson Space Center's buildings.

The space center is also without power and has been running on generators since 5 a.m. on Saturday.

Mission Control operations for the International Space Station were not disrupted because flight control operators were dispatched to Austin and Huntsville, Ala. to conduct operations remotely.

NASA's operations at Ellington Field sustained roof and awning damage.

I'm sure that NASA was well built.

Thanks Don.

Jennifer just called me and she and Matt are just fine.

A bit of a stress when your 18 yr old Babygirl moves away six months ago and is married and many states away.

The little sweet kid (Silly girl) is just fine..:D

Thanks everyone, And thank you Don!!

I sure miss the Babygirl.

Thanks Don.

Jennifer just called me and she and Matt are just fine.

A bit of a stress when your 18 yr old Babygirl moves away six months ago and is married and many states away.

The little sweet kid (Silly girl) is just fine..:D

Thanks everyone, And thank you Don!!

I sure miss the Babygirl.
Haha, you're very welcome. Does she have a cell phone? Home answering machine? A free or cheap way to return phone calls? I started helping my daughter stay in contact by providing in those areas long ago, got her a cell when I got my first cell phone 10 years ago, and I still assist in those areas now even tho they're financially stable but very busy with family and professional responsibilities. Hehe, are you text proficient?

The Good News in Houston weather: Cold front came down thru Texas and is slowly pushing thru that area. Sweltering heat and humidity with was expected in the aftermath with no electricity for surviving air conditioners in many areas. Reduced heat will not only help with outdoor recovery work but inside living conditions.

The Bad News: Residual humidity left by Ike is precipitating with the cold front and has caused downpours thru the night onto saturated soil, runoff, and low level flooding. Some pumps that normally move water from low points on hiways cannot run without electricity, and some bayous are still overflowing their banks. Some locals are getting out to sightsee, causing congestion, getting into troubles flooded situation.

Screen02_edited.JPG Screen03_edited.JPG
Galveston has no electricity or water pressure, officials still cannot get to west end to search for survivors who may need help, and no reports of stores reopening there? I-45 onto the island is severely blocked by boats and yachts that were thrown from the bay onto the hiway. One reporter there this morning was complaining that there was no sign of Red Cross or Salvation Army relief, but that seems to have been partly because of lack of communication as there is some charity relief at a central high school there. Land lines are out and cell towers have been commandeered by FEMA so he didn't get that word until just now. FEMA Search & Recovery teams were working door to door thru the night and the National Guard has set up medical facilities.

Lots of confusion, misinformation even being broadcast by KHOU, followed by corrections: "City of Houston advises to call 911 if you have no water pressure. Correction: do not call 911 about power supplies." Now the mayor is saying to not call about low pressure but do call 911 if you have none. :confused:

The Good News in Houston weather: Cold front came down thru Texas and is slowly pushing thru that area. Sweltering heat and humidity with was expected in the aftermath with no electricity for surviving air conditioners in many areas. Reduced heat will not only help with outdoor recovery work but inside living conditions.

The Bad News: Residual humidity left by Ike is precipitating with the cold front and has caused downpours thru the night onto saturated soil, runoff, and low level flooding. Some pumps that normally move water from low points on hiways cannot run without electricity, and some bayous are still overflowing their banks. Some locals are getting out to sightsee, causing congestion, getting into troubles flooded situation.

Galveston has no electricity or water pressure, officials still cannot get to west end to search for survivors who may need help, and no reports of stores reopening there? I-45 onto the island is severely blocked by boats and yachts that were thrown from the bay onto the hiway. One reporter there this morning was complaining that there was no sign of Red Cross or Salvation Army relief, but that seems to have been partly because of lack of communication as there is some charity relief at a central high school there. Land lines are out and cell towers have been commandeered by FEMA so he didn't get that word until just now. FEMA Search & Recovery teams were working door to door thru the night and the National Guard has set up medical facilities.

Lots of confusion, misinformation even being broadcast by KHOU, followed by corrections.

FOX 26 is on the phone with me now, and the story today is "Flooding" and another news conference coming up in Houston, downtown closed, no schools for foreseeable future. KRIV in Houston has been doing wall to wall coverage for the community especially with the additional flooding. If you are in Houston watch our sister station FOX 26 for community information or check out the website for updated information:

MyFox Houston | Fox 26 News | KRIV

We are wishing all the best to our Houston friends and neighbors as they are still in the thick of the mess with Hurricane Ike. The flooding today is not helpful.

:popcorn:

Damn! Now reports of people who spent hundreds of dollars each on generators but not on $30 on battery powered Carbon Monoxide detectors. Many sickened, local chamber overwhelmed. The news folks are warning some about safe use of generators, but not mentioning the CO monitors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom