Secure for Ike

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dandy Don, which levee are you referring to....--->"Louisiana is reported flooding and the first broken levee."---there is flooding all in Cameron & Vermillion Parish in SW La, but that's expected....I have not heard anything about this and I'm on a Louisiana network where EVERYTHING that happens in a storm is reported.TIA, just curious......

Thank God it is now forcast to be a 2 and not a 3 or 4. I don't know who Saffer & Simpson were, but that scale of theirs is a joke. As we move through Cat 3 the potential for damage increases exponentialy.

I watched a clip of Geraldo today in Galveston. I have always thought him a dick, but he had his camera crew pan and show some morons playing in the surge. His words were not so kind.

Be safe all. I have been through a few, but without the surge issues. Remember, the water kills in hurricanes.

Here's that video......click on 1st one

Last edited by a moderator:
Dandy Don, which levee are you referring to....--->"Louisiana is reported flooding and the first broken levee."---there is flooding all in Cameron & Vermillion Parish in SW La, but that's expected....I have not heard anything about this and I'm on a Louisiana network where EVERYTHING that happens in a storm is reported.TIA, just curious......
From Dr Master's quote in the same post....
Surge overtopped a St. Mary Parish levee near the town of Gordy, and a six-foot-wide breach was reported in a non-federal parish levee near the towns of Caernarvon, Scarsdale, White Ditch and Braithwaite.

From Dr Master's quote in the same post....

got ya---"10 PM update

St. Mary: Officials in St. Mary have confirmed that the Franklin Canal Levee has breached. Buses and ambulances are currently evacuating a nearby nursing home. Mr. Arthur believes that all nursing home residents will be evacuated before water reaches them. Water is overtopping the Ivanhoe canal spoil bank.
St. Mary Parish OEP Director says water levels are peaking and will drop shortly, only to rise again between noon and 3:00 a.m. US Army Corps of Engineers is dep! loying three tractor-driven pumps to dewater the Hwy 317 levee area, w hich was overtopped. US Army Corps of Engineers is also providing 25,000 sandbags to the flood-fighting effort. Bayou Sale levees (Hwy 317) west of Berwick are overtopped. Twenty-four inches of inundation in lower parish. Hwy 387 is closed."

From emergency.louisiana.gov

Seawater now over the 17 ft seawall at Galveston. 3 house fire spots seen from command center, but again - firemen cannot respond to the fires, so they fear they may spread to other houses.

Eye is 40 miles from Galveston, expected in hour and half.

Stranded freighter without power was caught in the storm but survived and now waiting on tug from Corpus.

We are holding up quite well so far. I am shocked at this point that we still have power.
The wind has been pretty strong for a couple hours now and a lot of people all around us are blacked out!

Power still holding here in SE Texas as well.

Power still holding here in SE Texas as well.

Haven't seen any video from there but I'm going to guess your getting it pretty good right now.......We get channel 12(KMBT) on cable here & they are having their regular programming---can't believe that......stay safe and good luck....Report back from time to time & let us know how you're doing.....again good luck.........

The eye just arrived at the San Luis hotel, Galveston. wind died

Well, it's 4:30 a.m., we have no power and I just spent an hour and a half helping clear the neighborhood storm drains.
Our street was flooded because of the drains being blocked. We now have them cleared and there is no standing water in our neighborhood.

The eye is almost completely by us now, so the winds are starting to pick up again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom