Secure for Ike

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been watching this storm very carefully the past few days. My apartment is right smack in the middle of Galveston Island! I packed up myself, my girlfriend and my dog and evaced Wed. night before the evacuations were authorized, and I'm quite glad I did.

For anyone still in the area, be careful, and get out while you still can! In the meantime I'll sit here at my parent's house in Maryland and watch this storm from VERY far away. Hopefully I'll have something to return to in a few days!

I am located in the center of Houston. Please let me know if I can assist your folks.vanessar

Thank you very much for the offer. Not sure if I will need it but it's nice to know it is there if I do! I just talked to my mother. They put a chainsaw in the attic in case the house floods. She called in case she can not get through later. My step-daughter's mother and rest of her family lives in Sugarland. Hope is freaking out and I am trying to keep her calm. We will be watching the new intently over the next couple of days. I am also hoping to hear from Frank and Melanie and hope they make it through this with everything in tact.

Sounds pretty grim

Wunder Blog : Weather Underground

<<All this extra energy has gone into piling up a vast storm surge that will probably be higher than anything in recorded history along the Texas coast. Storm surge heights of 20-25 feet are possible from Galveston northwards to the Louisiana border. The Texas storm surge record is held by Hurricane Carla of 1961. Carla was a Category 4 hurricane with 145 mph winds at landfall, and drove a 10 foot or higher storm surge to a 180-mile stretch of Texas coast. A maximum storm surge of 22 feet was recorded at Port Lavaca, Texas.>>

<<We can expect Ike to cause the largest and longest-lived power outage in Texas history, with power knocked out along a 200-mile wide swath in eastern Texas and extreme western Louisiana extending 300 miles inland to I-20. >>

Best wishes to everybody in the Houston area,just looking forward to some much needed rain here in Austin

Hang in there SE Texas, Galveston & Houston areas in particular......Have a D & SIL riding it out in the Heights in Houston----hope ALL make it OK, praying for ya'll............

We are sheltered in place and are expecting a very long night!

I am sure we will lose electric, etc. But I will definitely post some pics as soon as we get connected again.

We are sheltered in place and are expecting a very long night!

I am sure we will lose electric, etc. But I will definitely post some pics as soon as we get connected again.

Where are you located??..I'm in SW La, FINALLY got that knot out of my stomach about an hour ago(it's ~5:15 Pm Fri local time) when Ike 'officially' passed west underneath us-----we remember Rita(most don't....lol).we had 95 mph sustained gusts to 125 officially recorded @ our small airport--were out of electricity for 9 days here @ our house---ran a generator 24/7 during that time.........hang in there & hoping for the best....our D& SIL are riding it out in the Heights in houston----but she's an old coonass born & raised around hurricanes---think this will be number 7 or so for her.........And------Gustav, was a bust for us----THANK GOODNESS,......take care...........and good luck.....

There are reports that 40% of Galveston's population have not evacuated. Ike's storm surge is likely to be worse than the 1900 storm. Right now there is a 5' surge at Clear Lake and the eye is 120 miles away. Saying prayers for all those in Ike's path. Keep safe and get ready for a long night. Current projected landfall is at 2:30am.

Where are you located??..I'm in SW La, FINALLY got that knot out of my stomach about an hour ago(it's ~5:15 Pm Fri local time) when Ike 'officially' passed west underneath us-----we remember Rita(most don't....lol).we had 95 mph sustained gusts to 125 officially recorded @ our small airport--were out of electricity for 9 days here @ our house---ran a generator 24/7 during that time.........hang in there & hoping for the best....our D& SIL are riding it out in the Heights in houston----but she's an old coonass born & raised around hurricanes---think this will be number 7 or so for her.........And------Gustav, was a bust for us----THANK GOODNESS,......take care...........and good luck.....

SE Texas here, and we remember Rita well.

So far, no major weather for us, just a few isolated gusts and drizzle. The worst is yet to come...

Back
Top Bottom