Secure for Ike

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

{rabbit raising hand waving frantically} I have a question since I've never lived in hurricane territory. Is staking the furniture down effective in the conditions you're expecting for your area? When is staking not an option and bringing the furniture into the house to keep it from being blown in through the windows a necessity?

Ber :lilbunny:

If you can bring it into a garage or other covered area, it would be better than have it potentially come loose or get beat up by other flying debris even if it is tied down.

LOL, guess I need to do the same, lucky for me though I have around 15 gallons of beer kegged up give or take some. :D

All Right, Party at Ryans house this weekend :D.

My fridge is stocked with all the necessities also but unexpected work calls this weekend so, I may not have too much home time.

The best to everyone in Ikes path.

I came back from Seguin, TX (by San Antonio) Wednesday afternoon and coming south on I-35 were multiple school buses, a convoy of 8 different ambulance services and about a dozen military vehicles hauling water tanks- heading for the areas to be hit, was nice to see an effort like that actually coming into play.

Arlington....the folks across the street just had a crew this morning 'start' the job of re-roofing their home...... :rofl3:

Is it just me, or is Ike NOT doing what the Weather Channel is saying? They keep saying it is going to go more west, but it keeps going more north. If you look at the forecast track versus the historical track, the storm has to make a left turn to make their forecast correct. I think the people in Houston and even toward Louisiana need to keep a really close watch on Ike because the Weather Channel has been all over the board on the forecast of this storm and I still don't think they have it right. It could end up going where Rita went in 2005.
Too many variables - a warm water loop in the Gulf that it could hit or miss, steering currents to give and take on direction. He shouldn't even be here. First September storm in the Bahamas that didn't go north. He is tho.

This morning's forecast show the computer models pretty well unanimous on landfall very near Houston, Cat-3 expectations even in the city follow by Tropical Storm expectations even into Dallas & Arkansas, Tropical Force winds almost guaranteed for Houston, and so forth. Oil platforms are closing in the Gulf with a quarter of the US refineries being closed. Yeah, it's going to be a tremendous blow to some of our most populated and vulnerable area as well as to the US economy.

Travelers with Houston connections may want to look at this thread just posted in General Travel: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...oast-what-flyers-should-know.html#post3821768
I wish everyone the best. I have stocked up on gas, vodka and water.

The rest will be up to chance.

vanessar
You couldn't find a way to Denver, or want to be there for salvage diving Monday...?
If you can bring it into a garage or other covered area, it would be better than have it potentially come loose or get beat up by other flying debris even if it is tied down.
People with swimming pools often throw their lawn furniture in those.

I suppose the stores are already running out of supplies and the evacuation routes already jammed? Last minute review suggestions: Be Prepared

Good luck y'all...!!

Ike.gif ike3.gif Ike5.gif

Edit: Ike is now expected to remain hurricane strength even he approaches the DFW metro area with Warnings as far as the Red River...

Ike2a.gif

Last edited:
{rabbit raising hand waving frantically} I have a question since I've never lived in hurricane territory. Is staking the furniture down effective in the conditions you're expecting for your area? When is staking not an option and bringing the furniture into the house to keep it from being blown in through the windows a necessity?

Ber Rabbit,
To answer your question very directly: I don't know.
I have never been through a hurricane before. I live in tornado country. Now, I know how to prepare for those. But hurricanes, no idea.

Seriously, here in the Dallas/Ft Worth area, the meteorologists are telling us to expect 40 - 60 mph winds. Around these parts, that would normally qualify for a Severe Storm Warning. We're used to that.

Mostly, my patio furniture is light, cheap plastic stuff that blows around in just about any breeze. I suppose I should probably put the stuff in the garage just to be safe; but some times I get bored. Then I go looking for other challenging unorthodox things to do to entertain myself. With 60 mph winds, like I said this just qualifies as one attribute of a severe thunderstorm, I am not too concerned about the furniture breaking loose and flying. I suppose if it does, I could learn a very expensive lesson if it should take out one of my house windows. Then I will feel pretty stupid. Otherwise . . . . . . .

btw, if I really did expect a hurricane, I wouldn't being staking my furniture down. I would be taking more serious and appropriate action.

I posted this on a Texas board earlier today. Maybe someone else could benefit from it.

Just a few tips from Louisiana, the hurricane abused...

1. If you are in a location that your power is buried in ground, you only have to worry about protecting your property. If you do lose power, it is probably just a short lived transmission issue at the substation.

2. If you have overhead power lines, do you have a lot of trees in the area? If so, the trees can become uprooted and knock down the lines. If you don't have a lot of trees, again, it shouldn't take as long to reconnect lines after the storm, but you may lose power for a day or two or three.

3. If you are in an area that floods when it rains, leave. Take your important papers, titles, prescription drugs, photographs, keepsakes, and car and home insurance policies (very important) with phone numbers to call for claims. Take your pets with you. You cannot live where your property is submerged.

4. If you still have an old analog phone, get it out and be prepared to use it. If you do lose power, your other cordless and powered phones will not work.

5. If you live alone and you do decide to stay, make sure someone who is also staying knows to contact you when the storm is over.

6. If you have a generator or are thinking about staying because you are going to buy a generator, be prepared to have a problem finding gasoline (and the generator for that matter if you don't have one already). Gas stations cannot pump gas if they have no power. Get gas ahead of time. Also, be prepared to spend $800 or more for a generator and $50 to $100 a day on gasoline depending on how much you are going to run in your house and how long you are going to run your generator. It is best to not try to run that big central unit if you can run the window unit in your bedroom. FEMA will only pay for the generator if you are without power for at least 7 days, if you are thinking of filing a claim. It is difficult to find 5 or 6 gallon gas cans, gasoline, ice, generators and electrical connections for the generator IMMEDIATELY BEFORE AND AFTER the storm.

6. If you lose power and you are going to leave, or are leaving, in order to avoid a real mess in your refrigerator when you get back, either empty the contents of your freezer, or cook it and eat it. You may not lose power for 3 days, but if you do, that is all it takes to spoil everything in your fridge. If you have a freezer full of ice, that will help keep it that long. If you leave, take the ice out also, or it runs out like everything else.

7. Even if you are planning to stay, have an exit strategy. There will be an hour when evacuation is no longer advisable or possible as downed trees and power lines will block roadways until after the storm is over and work crews have cleared them. You do not want to get caught out in the storm in your vehicle. Know where the nearest public shelter is if it gets too bad or your house is destroyed by a tornado. (No, I'm not kidding.)

8. If you lose power, you will have no light at night. The only sound in the neighborhood will be the drone of generators, at which time carbon monoxide is building in the area and could cause health problems. Have whatever light sources you are going to use available and charged or batteries for replacement, unless you have a generator and keep it running all night. If you live in the country like I do, turn everything off early to keep your eyes adjusted to no light and go outside and look at the stars (not until the storm passes obviously). You will be surprised how cool the sky looks when there are no lights around.

Best of luck to everyone!

Hope everyone is able to stay safe and unharmed.

I was going to bring that up myself. No. But I am not sure where Arlington is compared to projected land fall.
Bring it inside.

I was going to bring that up myself. No. But I am not sure where Arlington is compared to projected land fall.
Bring it inside.

Arlington is near Dallas Fort Worth at 360 and I-30. I have an apartment off 360 and Trinity.

Don't take this thing too lightly friends. Now it appears it may only be a Cat 3, but that can still be devistating for you guys, particularly near the coast. Remember the 1000's who died in Galvaston. A lot of your homes may not do well in a 3.
If you are in a surge or flood prone area, be very careful. Water kills more people than the wind.

Back
Top Bottom