Secure for Ike

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you... Stay as safe as possible...
My father-in-law is in Houston.. Was evacuated on Thurs & is in a gym somewhere... Hope to hear from him....

Watching it on the news this morning. Hope and praying that everything turns out okay.

My mother lives in Northwest Houston and they do not have power. I just called her and my Big Dad hooked up the new generator he just bought two weeks ago, so they have some power. She said at least she has coffee. :coffee: A tree from their front yard was uprooted and is across the street. Giant power lines are down in their backyard. Tons of tree debris and all their plants and stuff are overturned. She said it's a mess, but the house is still there and so far no flooding. They lost their trailer down in Bolivar/Galveston Bay for sure, but she said now they can build the house on stilts they have always wanted. My mother will turn 70 next week but you wouldn't know it. She sounds great and is doing very well. :D She said in all her years of living on the coast and in the south this was one storm that scared her a little.

Before one of these, I tend to emulate Chicken Little a bit, hoping more will evacuate or better prepare. Once the time comes that nothing can be done, I shudder about the reports of people who stayed with insufficient preparation, didn't even leave at risk buildings in time to get to safe shelters, etc. Now I'm just hoping for the best, that the dire predictions were exaggerated, that survival will be greater than feared.

Some news casters have been heroic in doing what they can to share news thru the night and now as sunlight is breaking thru. Looks like Ike is down to Cat-1 now, centered north of Houston with the south storms force throwing debris thru the air like missiles, north side hitting Huntsville maybe. The newscasters have to keep talking of course, can't just sit there waiting, so sometimes the dialogue gets a little boring. Now with sunlight we're seeing videos of the carnage and flooding. So sad.
Well, it's 4:30 a.m., we have no power and I just spent an hour and a half helping clear the neighborhood storm drains.
Our street was flooded because of the drains being blocked. We now have them cleared and there is no standing water in our neighborhood.

The eye is almost completely by us now, so the winds are starting to pick up again.
:thumb: Got to do what you can to help yourselves, not just wait on "officials." But damn! Risky. Glad you didn't get sucked into a drain as you liberated. Once in, it'd be totally hopeless and only with some luck that they might find a body later in the massive accumulations of debris in the drain systems.

Clearing the aftermath is a scary thot with every risk imaginable, continued flooding, booby traps in the debris fields, and such. Firemen are now mobilizing to get out in Galveston as the winds ease.
My mother lives in Northwest Houston and they do not have power. I just called her and my Big Dad hooked up the new generator he just bought two weeks ago, so they have some power. She said at least she has coffee. :coffee: A tree from their front yard was uprooted and is across the street. Giant power lines are down in their backyard. Tons of tree debris and all their plants and stuff are overturned. She said it's a mess, but the house is still there and so far no flooding. They lost their trailer down in Bolivar/Galveston Bay for sure, but she said now they can build the house on stilts they have always wanted. My mother will turn 70 next week but you wouldn't know it. She sounds great and is doing very well. :D She said in all her years of living on the coast and in the south this was one storm that scared her a little.
Generators can be a life safer as long as safety precautions are maintained, protection from carbon monoxide, etc.

Houston is the largest concentration of people and structures in a US swamp I suppose and literally lives on air conditioning, but there will be little available for over two million this week and beyond. Working in the heat, humidity, smells of rotting debris and even maybe some bodies is going to be tough. Thousands of teams are staged to enter and start helping and fortunately a cool front is forecast to arrive tomorrow night.

Best wishes...

With 2 million people without power right now, and lines down all over the place, it is going to get really miserable. The CHUM (City of Houston Underwater Mariners) server is down. Most likely phone service is sketchy, especially cell phones. The only information most people are getting right now is from the radio if they have one, and if there are any still able to transmit. It is likely that all FM stations are out, and only AM stations may still be able to broadcast. These people are going to need a lot of help. Without power, there will be no gasoline, groceries, ice, water. There are thousands of 9-1-1 calls in and around the City of Houston at this time. If you have loved ones in the area, be patient.

Hopefully, people have bottled water and canned foods because it is going to be weeks before power is restored. When it is over, the people of Houston will have a new appreciation for all the modern conveniences that most take for granted... clean, abundant tap water.... electric light.... air conditioning..... cell phone service....

Our prayers are with them in their coming ordeal.

Heard from our D & SIL about 2 hours ago, about 8:30 local Houston time--they are in the Heights--inside the inner loup just north of downtown......about 2 AM had a BIG sycamore tree come down--the end of it stopped ie landed on the corner of their house @ their bedroom......limb ends went thru & broke a window in that room and punched a hole in the end(edge) of their roof-got some water coming down that ext. wall......Same tree also landed on top of the neighbors truck crushing it.........She said "we're OK"..all in all could have been worse....take care SE Teaxas AND SW Louisiana(had worse ie higher flooding than Rita).We are on the edge of Ike and lost power for only 2 hours---how 'bout that.......I now call him Mr. Ike--he's got my respect now................................

Just saw live video of Seawall street in front of the Flagship hotel. Lots of lumber debris. Looks like the eye is about halfway between Houston and Dallas - still Cat-1....

28m5af.jpg

I wish all well in Texas

I am sending good energy to all in the TX gulf coast.

Good luck to all.

vanessar

Thank you very much for the offer. Not sure if I will need it but it's nice to know it is there if I do! I just talked to my mother. They put a chainsaw in the attic in case the house floods. She called in case she can not get through later. My step-daughter's mother and rest of her family lives in Sugarland. Hope is freaking out and I am trying to keep her calm. We will be watching the new intently over the next couple of days. I am also hoping to hear from Frank and Melanie and hope they make it through this with everything in tact.

We are most lucky, House is fine with small leak, no power still, no water either but could be worse.

Worked on using food in the frig via the grill. My father in law is lucky to have power electricty, water and TV. Staying with him tonight.

Please let me know if I can do anything for your family.

Vanessa

Back
Top Bottom