• I have backup gear for my own personal use

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • I have backup gear primarily for visitors

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I have lots of gear and regularly change things up

Votes: 52 42.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably more than you asked for:
I like having a backup of nearly everything, not just regs. But that is because my diving time is precious to me (still new) and all of our local dive sites are a drive time investment. With backups I may still lose a dive but I have yet to lose a day. And with a family of four, you never know what might go. Very seldom are they used, but for me the pain of hauling a fifth set of gear is less than the pain of a lost day.

For local dives I'll likely have nearly everything needed for anything but a reg rebuild. But I'll have spare first and seconds.
For boat dives I'll likely have spare o-rings galore, multi-tool, mask, reg set. Finger crossed, have not had an on-boat issue to date.

I have 4 tanks but only lend one to my brother when we dive one day each year. Have the usual bunch of "found" stuff (masks, snorkels, weights, etc.)--plus spare o-rings, etc. I have once used my pony reg. when a hose on my reg. broke-- now I take this with me in the car just in case. No depth gauge, but I shallow dive mostly anyway-- like 30' or shallower.
So I voted only one set of gear.

I dod not find a proper answer for my case. My one is a family of divers: I and my wife are (or, better, were) instructors and we have two sons who are also (not often) divers.
So we own a lot of equipment, 8 complete regulators, several suits, BCDs, tanks, etc.
However, there is not enough for we dive all 4 together. For example we have just three tanks (2 10+10 liters twin and one 15 liters single), two computers, 3 SPGs (one is broken).
So we cannot say to have a "second set" of gear.

I too have a family of divers, instructors and DM's so we have lots of gear. I can't say it is true back up as different tools for different jobs but have multiple regs,BC's, BP's and more fins and wet suits than I can count. Probably the true spares or back ups I have are parts like hoses, o-ring etc. I actualy set up a 12' x 14' shop at my house dedicated to my dive gear and serving it and since my wife is a diver I got away with it.

I'm barely starting out myself. I don't have a second set of gear, but some "spare" stuff such as fins, mask, gloves,... (upgrades are always a valid reason to buy stuff)
But seeing the way stuff's adding itself, I think I'll have a second set by the end of the year.
And an extra wardrobe to put everything in.

You are asking the wrong audience this question. SB is heavily tilted towards technical diving, which means that a large proportion of folks will have multiple sets of gear for different purposes.

If you are just a recreational diver you likely don't need multiple sets of stuff, if you do tech diving you likely have a closet that you are hiding from your spouse with all your ill gotten gains in it.

I have enough gear for myself and a couple of divers.

Just various parts from upgrades. Always carry the original fin straps, mask strap, BCD repair kit w/ patches, various o-rings, o-ring grease, DC batteries, etc. But that is easy to add to my reg bag and doesn't take up a significant amount of space when I travel.

I think you will get different responses from local divers vs those that travel, as well.

I have enough gear for myself and a couple of divers.

^^^^^That^^^^^

And a lot of odds and ends to spare. Since I like tinkering with old regs and gear, I've got a few more sets of working regs and a quite a few firsts and seconds in various states of repair, and other projects

I'm not actually a hoarder, since I do toss junk, and pass on some to other divers. So tell that to my wife if she asks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom