• I have backup gear for my own personal use

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • I have backup gear primarily for visitors

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I have lots of gear and regularly change things up

Votes: 52 42.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aloha Joe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just curious how many people have a backup or second set of dive gear, and how often they end up using it themselves.

Last week I looked at the giant bin of scuba gear I’ve accumulated and wondered if I could be downsizing. But 2 days later I had a hose failure (on land) and was very happy to have a second reg set to use while I change hoses and overhaul my regs.

I have backups of individual hoses, O-rings, etc. and things to replace and/or fix parts, but not full copies of gear except for my backplate (1 for cold water, 1 for warm). I plan to for at least my regs once I have the disposable money but that isn't right now.

I don't really have backups, but I have singles and doubles regs. If something happened to singles regs, I could reconfigure my doubles regs to use for single tank.

Also have singles and doubles wings. I only have one BP that gets switched between singles and doubles as needed.

I have doubles of all drysuit undies (including socks, dry glove liners, etc.), except for main undersuit. One drysuit.

I have enough tanks to share with visitors if they need them. The people I dive with who come to visit occasionally all have their own gear so they have no need to borrow more than tanks. Honestly, due to liability concerns I wouldn't loan out my gear anyway.

I do have backups of essential gear (3 masks, 2 wings, 2 backplates, 2 full reg sets ready to dive, multiple sets of fins) in case of a failure of my primary equipment. I don't want to have to miss a dive! The only essential gear I don't have a backup for currently is my Shearwater Perdix AI. I've been a Shearwater owner for over a decade without a single failure so I decided to sell my backup and invest that money into other toys.

Not really backups for different setups for single, SM, stages, and O2. On the occasion I dive BM, I have to make a couple of hose changes.

I have any number of regulators, full-face masks, tanks, some dating back to the 1970s, which still see frequent use -- often as redundant gear, in the event of unforeseen equipment issues, while remote . . .

I pretty much have 2 of everything. It started out as upgrading the used or cheap gear I initially bought (fins, mask, cheap knife, etc) then turned into “a travel set” when I bought an aluminum plate, lightweight gauge, etc. However if I have a choice I’d rather travel with my Freedom Plate and all my favorite gear. So now there’s just a full second set of gear sitting in a bin.

Since I’m using a rebreather I sold a lot of gear.

There was too much divegear at home. I (almost) had a backup set of gear for my backup set of gear.

It doesn’t make sense for me to have a lot of backup gear. I did realize that when my seal of my drysuit was broken.When I took my backup drysuit which I didn’t use for more then a year the seals of my backups drysuit were in poor condition. Same for a backup wing. The inflator was causing problems and auto inflation. Backup gear should also maintained even if you are not using it. And when traveling it’s not (always) possible to bring backup gear.

Back
Top Bottom