• I have backup gear for my own personal use

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • I have backup gear primarily for visitors

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I have lots of gear and regularly change things up

Votes: 52 42.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Non of the options fit my case. I was certified in 2007 and since then I've been buying gear. In 2016 my daughter got certified and I also became instructor.
With the years I've got spare gear, I upgraded my reg, and miscellaneous items, some bargains, some gear I've got from friends that do not dive any longer. I cannot say that I have 2 sets of gear, but I have spares for several items. For example I have one wetsuit and one drysuit. Do I have 2 sets of thermal protection? perhaps.
My daughter has some own gear, like fins, mask, gloves, boots lights. She uses part of the spare gear I have, like reg and BCD.

So..., while on a topic, as I am collecting more gear, 3 regs, 2 BCs, 2 wet suits , 3 pairs of fins, masks... I am realizing that I need better organization. It is nothing as extensive as @rhwestfall :) but what do good folks of SB do to store their gear? Leave it hung up? Put it in containers? Is neoprene better hung? Are regs better off curled up in the container? Any helpful DIY contraptions? I have one of those z racks that I use to dry gear and my BCs staying there on the hangers...
I look forward to hear your opinions and ideas

I dive a CCR mostly with a ali 80 as bailout.
I also have a pool set of kit for teaching.
3 sets of single cylinder kit for teaching/overseas holidays.
3 x twinsets, one set without a manifold, my 12's(litres) have been on loan for 3 years to a buddy, a set of 10's on loan for a year to another, and a set of 10's for myself.

The problem is diving as long as I have I have just accumulated kit.

One positive is that I am flexible and comfortable with different kit configurations. The only thing I've never really dived is a side slung rig. Although I've dived with a side slung or two for years. Diving a CCR for me means I always carry at least the Ali 80.

I've accumulated a full set of "backup" gear (and then some) but it wasn't intentional. I've updated gear over the years and have just kept the old stuff. I do make a point to keep my spare regular kit and BCD maintained in case I or my girlfriend need to use it. It doesn't do you any good to hang on to a redundant set of gear that isn't usable when you need it.

I look forward to hear your opinions and ideas
Realistically it depends on how much space you have. I have a whole store room dedicated to gear with teh exception of tanks which have their own rack outside to make loading and unloading easier

However. My Suits get hung on wet suit/D/Suit hangers to dry on my drying rack, and then transferred to storage still hung
I have a shelf for undergarments and swim suits

BCD's have a hanging position and then a home made "pigeon hole" that holds 2 plastic crates for accessories, regs boots gloves etc

I refuse to put stuff back into dive bags, since I want to ensure when I pack I've got everything. If it was in a bag, I'd unpack and re check anyway. I tend to have duplicates so I can say pick up my teaching stuff and put that into one bag, and then another rig in a second if I'm doing different dives on different days but not going home

Also I guess it depends on dive frequency. In normal times I'm diving weekly. If I had an off season, then I'd probably store my equipment differently during that time

Back
Top Bottom