Question Separate pool equipment for DMs/instructors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rverma

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I've been diving a while and recently moved to an area where diving frequently is actually possible and enjoyable. Since I enjoy teaching, I recently completed my divemaster training with PADI to be able to help my local club and shop and to be able to share diving with more people.

Of course, that means a lot of time spent in the local community pool with basic OW being the most common course. As I will be spending up to 4hrs a week in the pool with courses, I'm somewhat concerned about the long term effects on my gear and how quickly it may accelerate the wear and tear. I always soak my regs in a bin of water at home and I've been immediately hosing down my BC and neoprene suit/boots at the pool following the class, then hanging it to dry at home.

For those that have been teaching in pools a long time - is this the best way to help preserve gear? How much does this kind of pool exposure and rinsing regimen affect gear longevity? Do you recommend acquiring a second set of pool specific equipment, or just a cheaper "throwaway" pool BCD?

My wetsuit was free and is two sizes too big so I don't care about it, but my BCD is fairly new (second hand scubapro hydros I got for dirt cheap from a divorce sale) and I'd hate to be significantly reducing its lifespan with repeated pool exposure. It's my understanding that soaking my regs in fresh water after pool or ocean use basically negates most concern about salt or chlorine exposure. Thoughts?

The pool probably has a lot of chlorine in it & other chemicals that are not great for your gear. I have had gear change colors because of it. I think if you rinse with non-pool fresh water it will help, but won't stop the problem.

Maybe the shop will allow you to use some of their rental gear in the pool. The upside for the shop is students see their gear that they sell in use and may help encourage them to buy their from the shop.

I have a set of gear just for pool use. It is the same gear that is sold in the shop too. Plus it’s set up with an Air2 and a standard Octo so I can demo the shared air scenario using either method or both, if needed.

our pool seems to take the colour out of things as mentioned above. i tried to rinse my stuff well but it did not really stop the problem. it did not seem to "damage" anything. but the black webbing etc turned brown.

never noticed any affect on regs. i would caution you however about "soaking" your regs. rinsing them well is one thing. but if you want to submerge them, they should be under pressure (ie: attached to a tank and pressurized). i know a lot of people do soak them, and claim to have been doing it for years without trouble, but it is not ideal.

Both shops that I've been affiliated with as an instructor have been fine with staff using 'rental' gear for classes, or our personal gear. Of course we get whatever is leftover after student needs, so being flexible in sizes and such is good.

old BC and 20 dollars wetsuit for the pool.
never wear your expensive wetsuit in the pool.

I use the shop rental gear in the pool if I am working for a shop.

never noticed any affect on regs. i would caution you however about "soaking" your regs. rinsing them well is one thing. but if you want to submerge them, they should be under pressure (ie: attached to a tank and pressurized). i know a lot of people do soak them, and claim to have been doing it for years without trouble, but it is not ideal.
Interesting - what is the technical reason behind not soaking them? And is simply rinsing the regs the best way of preserving them?

I'll look into getting a different (cheap) BCD for the pool since we don't have many spare rentals once the students have been assigned their gear for the course.

Interesting - what is the technical reason behind not soaking them? And is simply rinsing the regs the best way of preserving them?

I'll look into getting a different (cheap) BCD for the pool since we don't have many spare rentals once the students have been assigned their gear for the course.
Unless you own the shop, sounds like they need to buy more rental equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom