Noob question on cleaning regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don’t forget the inside of the bladder. That can be a pain on some BCs. Zeagle and Atomics come with a screw off inflator. The thread matches your standard garden hose thread, so it makes it real easy. A few other companies make something similar as well.
My BCD’s wing(Tusa T-Wing) is kind of of a pain to flush with water - I need to hold down the deflate button, fill the inflator’s oral opening with water and let go once it can’t take on more water. Repeat until the wing is full.

I’ve seen those BC flushing hoses. I’m thinking of getting/making one.

My BCD’s wing(Tusa T-Wing) is kind of of a pain to flush with water - I need to hold down the deflate button, fill the inflator’s oral opening with water and let go once it can’t take on more water. Repeat until the wing is full.

I’ve seen those BC flushing hoses. I’m thinking of getting/making one.
Provided the hose is not an odd size, you could replace the inflator for an Atomic or Zeagle version.

The top part attaches to a standard 1” corrugated hose. It has a pin for a pull dump, and gets secured by a zip tie, just like a standard inflator. You just unscrew the inflator and attach the hose. I used to hate cleaning my BC until I got my Zeagle with this connector. Now it’s simple.

This is another option. Unlike the Zeagle/Atomic version, this one requires you to hold down the inflator button.

I soak my regulators with the dust caps installed, unpressurized, for several hours after a salt water dive. This is because there are exposed threads on practically every regulator; that doesn’t mean you see the threads, it means they are outside of an o-ring that provides the seal. The SP yoke/DIN retainers are an example, as are the ambient chamber threads. This is also true for the hose-to 2nd stage connection. Salt water gets in these threads and the only way to get it out is by long soaking in fresh water which will eventually draw the salt out by osmosis.

I’m not at all worried about water getting in the 1st stage inlet with dust caps on, especially the DIN caps that thread on. Those seal perfectly. The only regulators that can get water intrusion aware 2nd stages with seat savers that actually separate the seat from the orifice when not pressurized. Atomics are like that, I believe. Those should be pressurized while soaking.

Back
Top Bottom