Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi everyone, just got the suit on Thursday delivered while I was out on a cruise. The waist is a little tight but I think all the free food on the cruise accounts for that. Here it is! Going to try it in a pool before I do a dive in a quarry this upcoming weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_1640.jpeg
    IMG_1640.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1639.jpeg
    IMG_1639.jpeg
    38.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1638.jpeg
    IMG_1638.jpeg
    53 KB · Views: 25
Ya that seems to do it. I still have to struggle to get it on, but it’s doable now. When you say talk the suit inside are you talking about just the seals, or the entire suit inside?
Talc into a sock or bag and then pat down every surface inside. Maybe do it again after the first couple dives. I haven't done anything to mine after the 2nd or 3rd dive day and that's been 70+ dives now. Easy in and easy out.

I didn't order the warm neck option - but now I'm wondering if I should call them to get it added. I often am diving <50F, so would you recommend it?

Don't worry about it. Order a Waterproof replaceable neoprene neck seal and use that instead of the silicone one that comes with it. Keep the silicone one (in a ziploc bag, well talc'ed, as a ready spare.

I'm looking at hoods and I'm seeing that they typically say "collar is designed to work with dry suits fitted with a warm neck bib" and I just got the Quick Neck System with the Siflex Seal without the extra "warm neck standard" -- will these hoods work without the 'warm neck standard'?

Buy a drysuit hood (i.e. no bib) and you won't have a problem. I have never owned a single hood with a bib and never wished for one. Especially with a drysuit hood that is overlapped with a neoprene neck seal. A good drysuit hood should have smoothskin on the inside the neck part. The neoprene neck seal will have smoothskin on the exterior. Overlapped, they made a pretty darn good seal.

Don't worry about it. Order a Waterproof replaceable neoprene neck seal and use that instead of the silicone one that comes with it. Keep the silicone one (in a ziploc bag, well talc'ed, as a ready spare

I got the quick neck system with the siflex seal (and an additional siflex neck seal), from seaskin (SiTech Neck seal SILFLEX - Seaskin Drysuits Shop - Purchase Drysuit Supplies) -- are you saying that I can use the replaceable neoprene neck seal with the siflex quick neck system?

Presumably, you mean something like this: Neoprene Neckseal is that right?

Buy a drysuit hood (i.e. no bib) and you won't have a problem. I have never owned a single hood with a bib and never wished for one. Especially with a drysuit hood that is overlapped with a neoprene neck seal. A good drysuit hood should have smoothskin on the inside the neck part. The neoprene neck seal will have smoothskin on the exterior. Overlapped, they made a pretty darn good seal.

So you put the hood *over* the neoprene neck seal?

I was thinking of getting this: https://www.scuba.com/p-frth7/fourth-element-7mm-hood -- it says it fits with a warm neck bib, but does that mean it wont work with the neoprene method you are talking about, and will only work with the warm neck bib?

I got the quick neck system with the siflex seal (and an additional siflex neck seal), from seaskin (SiTech Neck seal SILFLEX - Seaskin Drysuits Shop - Purchase Drysuit Supplies) -- are you saying that I can use the replaceable neoprene neck seal with the siflex quick neck system?

I was thinking of getting this: https://www.scuba.com/p-frth7/fourth-element-7mm-hood -- it says it fits with a warm neck bib, but does that mean it wont work with the neoprene method you are talking about, and will only work with the warm neck bib?
Different strokes for different folks. Silicone neck seals are super comfy and don't leak when moving your head. Neo neck are much warmer but have a small chance (so I've heard) of a sight leak when moving a lot. Either way you can't go wrong.

The longer bib will fold up towards your head if not tucked into something. The short bib will sit against your neck regardless. The warm neck adds a layer that minimizes the water transfer.

Ya that seems to do it. I still have to struggle to get it on, but it’s doable now. When you say talk the suit inside are you talking about just the seals, or the entire suit inside?
Talc all the seams inside the suit. I did it to the new suit and then around after 20 dives. It's a breeze now. As for hood, I have warm neck standard and use regular SP hood hood (not DS one), cut to length to tuck under the warm neck. No issue.

That is exactly what I do. No warm neck option, siflex quick neck system with the waterproof brand neoprene neck seal, and a waterproof h1 hood in 7mm that just slightly overlaps the neo neck seal. It has been tight as a drum all year so far, and nice and toasty even for hour long dives in the 40 deg F range.

Yes. Exactly.

Yes.

The only picture I can see is tiny, but that appears to be the style of hood I meant. I don’t know why they say it has a bib. That looks like what I would call no bib.

about to order my seaskin dry suit. any thoughts on large bellows pockets vs expedition and standard vs moving them to the front seam.

about to order my seaskin dry suit. any thoughts on large bellows pockets vs expedition and standard vs moving them to the front seam.
All has been discussed many times.

Larger pockets are never a problem, but pockets can be too small. They only issue is both of these are velcro and I'm a fan of zippers.

Front vs side... front thigh location is for sidemount diving. It would do any harm for regular backmount.

Back
Top Bottom