Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is "warm neck" is that a property of your neck, or is that a piece of equipment?

Seaskin makes a neoprene warm neck option that you can get if you select latex or Siflex neck seals.

1717093429066.png

Seaskin makes a neoprene warm neck option that you can get if you select latex or Siflex neck seals.

View attachment 843677

This is the option I got on my suit. I use bibbed hoods for cold water (< 50f) tucked under the "warm neck standard". The "bibbed" part does make a big difference, especially when getting down to < 45f even with a collar on the suit itself.

Lots of people have suits without a similar velcro option but it's nowhere near as easy to tuck a bibbed hood into those. I got used to having this option from diving in Waterproof suits and liked it.

FWIW, with the velcro option you need to be careful to fasten the "velcro hook" tab side down and away from the opening rim, otherwise the hooks will eat your bib's neck area... ask me how I know :/

My Otter Atlantic has arrived and I’ve had a chance to compare it to my Seaskin.

Otter -

View attachment 842774

Right out of the box new I noticed the Nova sleeve ends looked rough at the cuff cutoff point :cry:
It was the end of my world and I thought I would die on my next drysuit dive :wink:

Since my suit has been sent back to SS for the zipper repair (replacement) and some fit alterations (more crotch and shoulder room requested), I've also mentioned these rough cut ends as a minor aesthetic issue. They are adding 2.5cm tape over as per the Otter pic above.

FWIW, I suggested they do this by default to all suits. I suppose anyone can request it in the suit order notes or via email when negotiating the options.

Right out of the box new I noticed the Nova sleeve ends looked rough at the cuff cutoff point :cry:
It was the end of my world and I thought I would die on my next drysuit dive :wink:

Since my suit has been sent back to SS for the zipper repair (replacement) and some fit alterations (more crotch and shoulder room requested), I've also mentioned these rough cut ends as a minor aesthetic issue. They are adding 2.5cm tape over as per the Otter pic above.

FWIW, I suggested they do this by default to all suits. I suppose anyone can request it in the suit order notes or via email when negotiating the options.
It looks like on the one with tape (Otter) they held back the material some so they weren't overlapping on the end.

Mine look a little worn, I keep an eye on it. Might glue some tape at some point, who knows.

edit: if anyone does tape the ends make sure you round the corners. squared corners will tend to get pulled up and come apart

I know there are some ~ better made, maybe better tailored suits out there?, but at the end of the day I always ask myself "did it keep me dry?".. and the answer thus far has been a resounding "Yes!"

I am not too picky with the way gear looks as long as it works.

Just finished my dry suit class and have about 8 hours with the suit now. After my last dive I was completely wet, when I got out I checked the neck seal and found that the yellow ring had popped out a little on the neck. I’m just wondering if this is a common issue with this system?

Just finished my dry suit class and have about 8 hours with the suit now. After my last dive I was completely wet, when I got out I checked the neck seal and found that the yellow ring had popped out a little on the neck. I’m just wondering if this is a common issue with this system?
I don't think it's common to come out if installed correctly... now was it installed correctly? I think this is the 3rd instance of someone having that issue from the factory?

Would be wise for newer divers to check them before trying them. I guess mine is good, I've never checked it beside to see what it looked like / how hard was it to get to. Nothing seemed out of the sort.

There is a post in the thread about donning the suit so the seal doesn't pull up on the yellow ring. Basically, use your hands to stretch out the seal while going over the head so there is very little pull on the yellow ring. Also, I am trying to get in the habit of checking the yellow ring to make sure it is fully seated prior to donning.

Hi everyone, dispatch date of 6/7 here. Does anyone know if it would still be possible to add the simple neck option and a P-valve? They have not responded to my e-mails.

I pull mine open wide and put my head through, never push my head through if that makes sense?

Hi everyone, dispatch date of 6/7 here. Does anyone know if it would still be possible to add the simple neck option and a P-valve? They have not responded to my e-mails.
Call is your best bet. I think you have a week or 2 after order to make changes? You might be able to add that stuff though.

Call. Emails are missed.

Back
Top Bottom