Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Otter Atlantic has arrived and I’ve had a chance to compare it to my Seaskin. The Atlantic is comparable in price to an off the peg Santi E-Lite.
My thoughts -
Fit is better (Otter is also MTM).
Braces are much better (and red which is cool).
Y shaped crotch strap is nicer and doesn’t slip like the Seaskin one (I fixed it and the braces with plastic tri-glides).
Neoprene on warm neck is better quality.
Knee protection is an additional layer of HD material stitched on not PU iron on material. There is no other reinforcement on the suit.
Boots are the same (I like these on my Seaskin).
Has a metal zip as Otter didn’t offer plastic. My Seaskin is plastic. I think the zip is also a bit longer on the Otter.
I didn’t get a pee valve this time as I don’t need it and I think my Light Monkey Tinkle leaks.
Material seems similar - feels about the same weight. I’ll weigh both suits some time.
Overall finishing is better - cuff rings are taped, seams are better quality and pockets are miles better. I have the bellows pockets that are flimsy and too small. Otter has zippered flaps with internal wet notes pocket and bungees.
Back panel is elasticated.
Bag is bigger and has a much better zip.
I went with Kubi and a cuff dump. I also went for SiTech neck ring again and have transferred my Waterproof neoprene neck seal over.
Overall the quality is better. Will see how it dives in a couple of weeks.

My Nova has about 50 dives on it. It’s showing signs of wear in the crotch area and the cuffs. I haven’t had a dry dive for a while now so it’s going back to Seaskin for a pressure test and have any repairs done that are needed. I was going to change the Ultima DGS for Kubi and get bigger pockets fitted but I’m not sure it’s worth the expense for what will be a backup suit. The Kubi DGS is night and day difference in quality over the Waterproof system.
So there’s quite a price difference between the 2 suits (I’ll work the actual amount out by speccing up a Nova similar to the Otter) but it’s probably around £1000. Will it be worth the extra? Hard to know. I do think the Otter will far outlast the Nova. But at the price of an Otter I could get SeaSkins.
What I will say is the Seaskin is absolutely worth the price, when it doesn’t leak. The variety of options is fantastic and all options are well priced. I bought it as a first suit and didn’t want to spend a fortune in case I didn’t keep diving. Would I have bought another one when the time came to replace it? No, probably not.

Hopefully this gives a bit of help for anyone wanting a Nova.

Couple of comparison pics -

Otter -

IMG_5183.jpeg

Nova

IMG_5165.jpeg

Otter

IMG_5176.jpeg

Nova

IMG_5170.jpeg

Otter

IMG_5178.jpeg

None of the comparative advantages of the Otter really matter to me, especially for the extra coin. I will agree that the unfinished sleeve cuff on the Seaskin is a bit sloppy.

The SS doesn't have the finesse of other suits, but I'm not sure I could tell the difference underwater. I've had mine for 18 months and put it through the ringer. Wrecks, slate, oyster shells. About 100 dives. It still looks pretty good.

And it's still dry, that's what I bought it for.

I have a question about the neck seal and hoods, I got the Siflex seal with the quick neck system... I need a hood to go with this, and I'm wondering do I need a hood with the warm neck collar, or just a straight hood?

Warm neck color looks like this:

7mm-cold-water-hood.jpg

Straight hood looks like this:

FRTH5.jpg.png

I got the Si-tech but I don’t recall seeing anything in the zip lock bag. I’ll have to double check again. I did have the tool in there for the neck seal system.
I had to contact ss to get mine

I have a question about the neck seal and hoods, I got the Siflex seal with the quick neck system... I need a hood to go with this, and I'm wondering do I need a hood with the warm neck collar, or just a straight hood?

View attachment 842903

Straight hood, aka drysuit hood.

View attachment 842902

View attachment 842903
I have a waterproof H1 7mm hood with a medium length bib. I tuck that into my warm neck. You can go with no bib or a shorter length one and be fine. The really long ones used by wet divers suck for diving dry and don't tuck well

Just tried my seaskin in a pool. It leaked like completely. I'm figuring from the zipper and I'm pretty sure I made sure to close it. Not really sure what to do. Reach out to seaskin? Get the suit checked out at my local dive shop?

Just tried my seaskin in a pool. It leaked like completely. I'm figuring from the zipper and I'm pretty sure I made sure to close it. Not really sure what to do. Reach out to seaskin? Get the suit checked out at my local dive shop?
Try again?

Zipper pulled solidly down. Hair not in the neck seal. Neck seal not rolled or wrinkled. Wrist seals same as neck. Valves fully tightened...

Where did you feel wet first?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom