Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi everyone, dispatch date of 6/7 here. Does anyone know if it would still be possible to add the simple neck option and a P-valve? They have not responded to my e-mails.
Call them ASAP. P-valve is nothing to add. The warm neck may require a bit more effort and be too late.

Emails don't get answered with any sense of urgency.

This is the option I got on my suit. I use bibbed hoods for cold water (< 50f) tucked under the "warm neck standard". The "bibbed" part does make a big difference, especially when getting down to < 45f even with a collar on the suit itself.

Lots of people have suits without a similar velcro option but it's nowhere near as easy to tuck a bibbed hood into those. I got used to having this option from diving in Waterproof suits and liked it.

FWIW, with the velcro option you need to be careful to fasten the "velcro hook" tab side down and away from the opening rim, otherwise the hooks will eat your bib's neck area... ask me how I know :/

I didn't order the warm neck option - but now I'm wondering if I should call them to get it added. I often am diving <50F, so would you recommend it?

I'm looking at hoods and I'm seeing that they typically say "collar is designed to work with dry suits fitted with a warm neck bib" and I just got the Quick Neck System with the Siflex Seal without the extra "warm neck standard" -- will these hoods work without the 'warm neck standard'?

So my seaskin just arrived, and I have a question about donning. Admittedly this is my first drysuit, so I am aware that donning it is probably going to take some getting used to, that said, I am having quite a bit of difficulty getting in and out if it.

To me, it seems that the zipper doesn't create a big enough opening to get my shoulders through. I have tried to follow the donning instructions on the website, which state to put your right arm through first, and then your left. However the opening is so small when my right arm is all the way through the seal I cannot physically contort my left arm and get it in the sleeve. I have to put both arms through at the same time and sort of jump/shimmy the shoulders up, or have my wife help.

What's worse (which I found out yesterday when I was home alone) is that I cannot get one arm out of the suit at a time. I had to get both wrists out of the seals at the same time, and sort of shake my arms to get the suit off my shoulders. It took probably 10 minutes to get this done.

Has anyone had an experience like this? Is my suit too small or is it user error?

For what its worth while this is my first dry suit I dive frequently with drysuit divers, and I haven't seen anyone with this much trouble donning/doffing.

Thanks

I go left arm, then right arm, then pull over my head. I also go left arm first for getting into my harness, finding it easier to get the dump valve through as the first move. The suit will also break in quite a bit over the first little bit. I have two identical Seaskin Novas, based on the same measurements, but one is 3 years old and has ~100 dives, the other is brand new with 0 dives. The new one is significantly stiffer... It also takes some practice to see what works best for you, and your body. It gets easier with time. Even now, a helpful hand to open and close zippers, or free up that stuck elbow, is welcome, and usually available from your buddy. I often help my wife finish gettting suited up, then don my gear with a little assistance from her.

I didn't order the warm neck option - but now I'm wondering if I should call them to get it added. I often am diving <50F, so would you recommend it?

I'm looking at hoods and I'm seeing that they typically say "collar is designed to work with dry suits fitted with a warm neck bib" and I just got the Quick Neck System with the Siflex Seal without the extra "warm neck standard" -- will these hoods work without the 'warm neck standard'?
The short bib of drysuit hoods is designed to stay flat on your neck without anything holding it in place. The longer bibs are designed to be tucked into something, either a wetsuit neck or drysuit warm neck. Don't make the mistake that my buddy did and have a brand new student help him with his bib and get it tucked into the silicone neck seal instead is the warm neck. He was cold and we were laughing.

FWIW I dive a med length bib Waterproof H1 and tuck that into my warm neck. I stay cozy in sub 50° for hour plus dives.

So my seaskin just arrived, and I have a question about donning. Admittedly this is my first drysuit, so I am aware that donning it is probably going to take some getting used to, that said, I am having quite a bit of difficulty getting in and out if it.

To me, it seems that the zipper doesn't create a big enough opening to get my shoulders through. I have tried to follow the donning instructions on the website, which state to put your right arm through first, and then your left. However the opening is so small when my right arm is all the way through the seal I cannot physically contort my left arm and get it in the sleeve. I have to put both arms through at the same time and sort of jump/shimmy the shoulders up, or have my wife help.

What's worse (which I found out yesterday when I was home alone) is that I cannot get one arm out of the suit at a time. I had to get both wrists out of the seals at the same time, and sort of shake my arms to get the suit off my shoulders. It took probably 10 minutes to get this done.

Has anyone had an experience like this? Is my suit too small or is it user error?

For what its worth while this is my first dry suit I dive frequently with drysuit divers, and I haven't seen anyone with this much trouble donning/doffing.

Thanks
If your zip goes right hip to left shoulder you should be donning left arm first. Doff is right arm first. Head goes in last and out first. Ensure you have your telescopic torso unsnapped for each iteration. Give the suit a few hours of wear and it will soften up to make life easier.

Thanks
Same as davecampell, my left arm goes first and then right. Taking off, right first and then left. Also, take the hand seal off first, keeping the fingers inside and then holding the cuff from behind, pull on the sleeve/cuff lightly to slip the right shoulder off. Talc the suit inside helps a lot.

Same as davecampell, my left arm goes first and then right. Taking off, right first and then left. Also, take the hand seal off first, keeping the fingers inside and then holding the cuff from behind, pull on the sleeve/cuff lightly to slip the right shoulder off. Talc the suit inside helps a lot.

Ya that seems to do it. I still have to struggle to get it on, but it’s doable now. When you say talk the suit inside are you talking about just the seals, or the entire suit inside?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom