Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I route it the same. When disconnecting, I let my suit drop a bit, pull top of the cath out of the underwear and kink it a bit, pointing everything down. No problems with leftovers. I do have to point that I'm on NRV QC. Also managed not to flash anyone, at least I've not heard anyone laughing at me for my small junk.

That’s what I did as well. I could get into the 80s if I scraped a little, but coming out was a challenge. I guess I was surprised at the fact that I measured two sizes bigger than I expected to with my bare hand for the outer glove, and I’m not sure how to reconcile that if I want to wear a thicker liner in colder water.

It’s probably not an issue, and just me not having previous experience with diving dry. Even if I did get the wrong size, it’s both cheap and easy to fix.

I keep a supply of spare rubber gloves on hand in case I get a hole. But, I also keep 2 sizes, XL and XXL. If I am doing something where I want thicker glove liners for really long/cold dive, it's just a few minutes work to change to the bigger rubber gloves.

There's no Scuba Police regulation that says you have to use the same size rubber glove for all occasions.

:)

I have a question to those with a Trigon P-valve. It comes with this really thick and stiff corrugated hose. Are you guys using that or have you replaced it with something else? Do you shorten the hose since it's rather long? I know there's a P-valve thread but thought I'd ask here instead because I don't know if the hose is a Seaskin specific thing.

I replaced the stock hose with one from Dive Gear Express. I think the replacement is a norprene hose sold as a Light Monkey Tinkle Valve hose.

I don't remember exactly why I changed.

Regardless, a thick and stiff hose is what you want. (ha ha!) You don't want it to kink on you

I route it the same. When disconnecting, I let my suit drop a bit, pull top of the cath out of the underwear and kink it a bit, pointing everything down. No problems with leftovers. I do have to point that I'm on NRV QC. Also managed not to flash anyone, at least I've not heard anyone laughing at me for my small junk.
Oh we laugh.. we just restrain from pointing and making it obvious🤣🤣🤣

I just noticed that the QC fittings from seaskin are not the back flow locking type. Damn.
I don't use them. I think they're crap. I ordered ones based off of @stuartv recommendation in this thread. They're from McMaster Carr. Get extras of the males, they tend to run away sometimes.

Why is that what you want? Isn't it better if you disconnect and it doesn't drip out?
Better to have the female dry break on your hose than your unit. That way you can leave it disconnected if you chose to for some strange reason and not be concerned about a leak or failed valve.

Few questions for everyone before placing my order:

1) Seems like Compressed Neoprene Socks are the way to go since it allows you to turn the suit inside out for quick drying. With the socks you need boots, are the Aqualung Rock Boots EVO 4 any good or are there third party boots I should look at? I assume if you're say a 40 size, you should increase that a bit to leave room for thick socks inside the socks? Does that mean you always have to wear thick socks to make the boots fit even when it's warm out?

2) New to dry gloves and from what I've read most people use unlined gloves and add a seperate liner inside if they need it, is that right? How cold is the water before you start lining your gloves?

3) What water temps are the Seaskin 250gsm undergarmet good for? I'm used to seeing undergarmets from companies such as DUI that list the range of water temps and don't understand the parameters they listed. Expect to be in 36-45F water (2-7C).

4) for the Kubi glove size I fit the XXL gloves in some measurements and the L in others, I assume best option is to try to find a shop and try them on (circled my size in the pic below). For the parameter D I'm slightly longer and for parameters A and B I'm slightly smaller than the values on this table.

Capture.JPG

Few questions for everyone before placing my order:

1) Seems like Compressed Neoprene Socks are the way to go since it allows you to turn the suit inside out for fast drying. With the socks you need boots, are the Aqualung Rock Boots EVO 4 any good or are there third party boots I should look at?

2) New to dry gloves and from what I've read most people use unlined gloves and add a seperate liner inside if they need it, is that right? How cold is the water before you start lining your gloves?
I'd honestly use liners even at 20 degrees Celsius. I now have some thin snowboard liners and thick Icelandic wool ones. Where I dive the temperature is generally below 10 Celsius so I always use the wool ones.
3) What water temps are the Seaskin 250gsm undergarmet good for? I'm used to seeing undergarmets from companies such as DUI that list the range of water temps and don't understand the parameters they listed. Expect to be in 36-45F water (2-7C).
I think it's good down to about 10 or 12 degrees Celsius, depending on the base layer. I was getting pretty cold at 10 degrees after 30 minutes.

I just bought a tecline 490 undergarment. I was still cozy 42 minutes into the dive at 6 degrees but my hands and feet got cold. Mobility is **** though. I doubt I could do valve drills in it.

4) for the Kubi glove size I fit the XXL gloves in some measurements and the L in others, I assume best option is to try to find a shop and try them on (circled my size in the pic below). For the parameter D I'm slightly longer and for parameters A and B I'm slightly smaller than the values on this table.

View attachment 823817
If you're diving in 2 to 7 degrees Celsius water, you'll need thick glove liners. Thicker than what you get with the kubis. I'd get the XXL and worst comes to worst you buy new gloves for 5 bucks a pair. The only important thing with kubis is you need to make sure the rings are the correct size.

Back
Top Bottom