Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does KUBI’s template build in the assumption that you’ll wear some kind of liner?
Kubi come with a thin liner glove. I use that down to the low 40s. I wouldn't dive their stock gloves without a liner (think yellow dish gloves). They have zero insulation properties. The showa 660s I just put in have a liner that might be ok for me in the upper 50s or 60s without a separate inner glove but I'd still wear one.

XXL kubi gloves are long. I'll give you a measurement when I get home for the large and XXL.

@brightnight

I wish I had the plastic zip. That option got omitted from my final build because I forgot to check it.

Silicone seals are the cats meow for comfort and sealing vs latex.

Kubi rings are stupid simple and work. I wouldn't go to a plastic ring system after having had Kubi. They come with thin gloves that give great dexterity and feeling, but have long fingers. I just put Showa 66os on mine and they were fantastic on my dive today.

Drop the crotch and elbow reinforcement. Not needed at all.

Your LDS should have a kubi ring sizing template if they sell them. Ask and see what size you are. I wear a M/L work glove and fit the 90s well. 80s were rubbing quite a bit.

Did you get custom colors or are you black on black on black?

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Will go with silicone for a neck seal. I will be photographing freshwater fish and therefore on the riverbed/rocks mor than the typical diver and also diving small beaver ponds and streams with debris so figured the more reinforcement the better. Given this info would you still lose the elbow and crotch reforcement?

Going to 3d print some rings tonight to test how they feel. Haven't placed the order yet, probably Monday but planning on all black. I was going to call and see if they could do a forest camo so I can blend in a bit more but figured there is no chance of that and probably doesn't make a big difference.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Will go with silicone for a neck seal. I will be photographing freshwater fish and therefore on the riverbed/rocks mor than the typical diver and also diving small beaver ponds and streams with debris so figured the more reinforcement the better. Given this info would you still lose the elbow and crotch reforcement?

Going to 3d print some rings tonight to test how they feel. Haven't placed the order yet, probably Monday but planning on all black. I was going to call and see if they could do a forest camo so I can blend in a bit more but figured there is no chance of that and probably doesn't make a big difference.
I have the crotch rein and it's pointless. Others have had that be the source of a leak. I scooter dive 99% of the time and still wouldn't get it again. The SS fabric is pretty tough as it is, I don't know how much you'd gain for having elbow.

Anyone here have elbow rein?

I have the crotch rein and it's pointless. Others have had that be the source of a leak. I scooter dive 99% of the time and still wouldn't get it again. The SS fabric is pretty tough as it is, I don't know how much you'd gain for having elbow.

Anyone here have elbow rein?
I got all the reinforcements. I don't regret it yet, but not sure it's really needed. Shoulders, knees and back I would do..

Not sure. I do some wreck diving and everything seems to want to poke you, so I'm still on the fence about it.

I agree, the suit material feels pretty solid by itself.

I was curious about this as well. Based on the template and watching the Seaskin video, I ordered the 90mm rings. It also said my hand width required XXL gloves, which seemed excessive, especially since that was measuring my bare hand. I usually wear a large in mechanic’s type gloves. Does KUBI’s template build in the assumption that you’ll wear some kind of liner?

I printed their template on a piece of paper then traced the circles onto cardboard and cut out the holes. Then ordered the smallest size that I could fit my hand through reasonably comfortably.

I have 80mm rings and I wear L or XL gloves, depending on the brand.

I printed their template on a piece of paper then traced the circles onto cardboard and cut out the holes. Then ordered the smallest size that I could fit my hand through reasonably comfortably.

I have 80mm rings and I wear L or XL gloves, depending on the brand.

That’s what I did as well. I could get into the 80s if I scraped a little, but coming out was a challenge. I guess I was surprised at the fact that I measured two sizes bigger than I expected to with my bare hand for the outer glove, and I’m not sure how to reconcile that if I want to wear a thicker liner in colder water.

It’s probably not an issue, and just me not having previous experience with diving dry. Even if I did get the wrong size, it’s both cheap and easy to fix.

I have a question to those with a Trigon P-valve. It comes with this really thick and stiff corrugated hose. Are you guys using that or have you replaced it with something else? Do you shorten the hose since it's rather long? I know there's a P-valve thread but thought I'd ask here instead because I don't know if the hose is a Seaskin specific thing.

I'm using that one. Since it's so strong, it's impossible to crush or kink. You do need to make a careful considerations how to route due to aforementioned traits, but once you make it work it's fine.
Whether to shorten it or not depends on your physical dimensions and how you route it, so I'd say it depends.

I have a question to those with a Trigon P-valve. It comes with this really thick and stiff corrugated hose. Are you guys using that or have you replaced it with something else? Do you shorten the hose since it's rather long? I know there's a P-valve thread but thought I'd ask here instead because I don't know if the hose is a Seaskin specific thing.
Route it up and into your undergarment and then down to your unit. The extra length is no issue. I raise my lower zipper and then back down once it's connected and routed so it stays in place and doesn't link my cath.

20231229_100050.jpg

Never felt the need to cut it. I wrap it like a candy cane (like @Boarderguy ) and put it behind my left brace when suiting up. I never even feel it.

The only downside is there will be piss in the short piece coming from your gazanktagazoid when you get out of the suit. I just try to get everything lower so gravity let's it drain before I disconnect. You'll figure it out. I've managed to not flash anyone more often then not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom