Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear my heated winter gloves for anything below 55 or wet. No heated grips on my bike yet.

My KTM has heated grips and heated seats. I have a full heated liner - jacket, leggings, socks, and gloves.

I rode from Tallahassee to Manassas, VA, once, in December. It was mid-30s in Tallahassee when I left, and about 40 when I got to Manassas. It peaked around 55, mid-afternoon, around Florence, SC.

13 hour ride. 850 miles. Only stopped twice, IIRC. (I love my 8 gallon tank).

Was comfy the whole way. :) Electric undergarments and at least heated grips are the only way to roll.

My KTM has heated grips and heated seats. I have a full heated liner - jacket, leggings, socks, and gloves.

I rode from Tallahassee to Manassas, VA, once, in December. It was mid-30s in Tallahassee when I left, and about 40 when I got to Manassas. It peaked around 55, mid-afternoon, around Florence, SC.

Was comfy the whole way. :) Electric undergarments and at least heated grips are the only way to roll.
Well at least you're not made of steel as previously thought🤣🙄

I ride a Yamaha Xmax 300 for commuting. 3 gal tank and enough gusto to pass on the freeway (up to about 85). 75 mpg means my truck stays parked while gas is $5/gal. I've done a few 150-200 mile rides and that is about my max for it
I'd need a new seat and cruise control for much longer.

I ride a Yamaha Xmax 300 for commuting. 3 gal tank and enough gusto to pass on the freeway (up to about 85). 75 mpg means my truck stays parked while gas is $5/gal. I've done a few 150-200 mile rides and that is about my max for it
I'd need a new seat and cruise control for much longer.

Cruise control is for old farts. Like me! :) I have that on my KTM and I won't get another road bike without it. I've actually got a serious itch right now to get a new KTM now that they have Adaptive Cruise Control as an option. When I'm riding in a group, but not leading, it would be nice. Or when just stuck in traffic and not able to pass.

Back in the day we just used throttle locks. I rode my GSX-R1000 from San Francisco to northern VA when I moved. My Throttlemeister throttle lock got me there. I had a '98 ZX-9R that I rode completely around the country in '98 (a 4 Corners Tour). 14K miles in 30 days. All with the same Throttlemeister I have now on my GSXR. Just something to let you take your right hand off the throttle for a minute is all you really need.

A good seat is critical, though. I haven't ridden on a stock seat in over 20 years, other than the brief periods between getting a new bike and getting the seat re-done. I really don't understand why none of the Japanese, nor BMW or KTM can make an all-day comfy seat that comes standard on the bike.

Iron Butt. It says so right on my license plate frame... :D
Not to derail this thread further, but have you ever done a saddle sore (1,000 miles in <24 hours) or the actual Iron Butt Rally? There's a great book by Ron Ayres (Against The Wind) chronicling his 1995 Iron Butt Rally experience. I've only been able to do about 500. I'm with you on the bad stock seats. First thing I did when I got my BMW R1200R was replace the seat.

Not to derail this thread further, but have you ever done a saddle sore (1,000 miles in <24 hours) or the actual Iron Butt Rally? There's a great book by Ron Ayres (Against The Wind) chronicling his 1995 Iron Butt Rally experience. I've only been able to do about 500. I'm with you on the bad stock seats. First thing I did when I got my BMW R1200R was replace the seat.

Yes. I did an official SS1000 to secure my IBA membership many years ago. I also did a Four Corners Tour that I started documenting for IBA credit, but never completed the documentation (though I did do the ride in the prescribed time).

Yes, I have read Ron's book and chatted with him a bit at the Stagecoach Ride-in years ago.

Never done the actual Rally, though. That's a major commitment that I have not found the motivation for. I would like to log an official BB Gold someday, just because. And maybe a 50CC at some point. But... I used to ride a LOT. Ever since I started scuba diving, I ride less and less...

Going more than 500 miles in a day is mostly about 3 things:

- having a good seat
- having the right underwear
- working up to it a bit

The more often you do long rides, the easier it gets.

When I started my 4 Corners Tour, we did 250 miles the first day and it was killing me by the time we stopped for the night. 2 weeks later, I rode from Yellowstone NP to Duluth, Minnesota, (right at 1000 miles) in one day, with no problem. On a '98 ZX-9R Ninja.

I had a good seat. I worked up to it by riding further every day. And I figured out that cotton briefs underwear were a major no-no after about a week on the road. Switched to spandex bicycle shorts with nothing underneath and was good for the rest of the trip.

Also, a throttle lock or cruise control is VERY helpful for longer rides.

So mu suit just arrived, and I have some questions. I know that these have probably been discussed to death and back in the other 254 pages of comments, so I apologize if these are repeats.

1. I got the plastic zipper. How do I store it? I have looked on the YKK website and they list 2 different waterproof zippers. One which they say to store fully closed, and another which they say to store open. Does anyone know the model of zipper that Seaskin uses? Do I store it fully closed? Open just a few inches? Fully open with the zipper cover fully closed?

2. Has anyone had luck with using pullover style gloves (like in this video )
with the SI tech oval rings? I tried it with mine, and the seam on the arm creates a small channel where water rushes in. There doesn't seem to be enough of the plastic showing to get a firm seal on the glove.

3. How often do you talc the seams? I talced up then sweated a bit while trying the suit on, and it seems to have washed all the talc away.

4. When you use a quick connect with auto shut-off for the p-valve, do you remove the provided on/off valve, or do you use that in addition to the quick connect?

Thanks for all the collected wisdom of people who have struggled with these so that us latecomers don't have to!

How often do you talc the seams? I talced up then sweated a bit while trying the suit on, and it seems to have washed all the talc away.
I talc'd when I first got it to get in and out easier. Since then I haven't bothered. Once the suit breaks in it isn't needed at all.
When you use a quick connect with auto shut-off for the p-valve, do you remove the provided on/off valve, or do you use that in addition to the quick connect?
Throw away the pos valve they ship with it. Put the female dry break on the suit and be done with it.

So mu suit just arrived, and I have some questions. I know that these have probably been discussed to death and back in the other 254 pages of comments, so I apologize if these are repeats.

1. I got the plastic zipper. How do I store it? I have looked on the YKK website and they list 2 different waterproof zippers. One which they say to store fully closed, and another which they say to store open. Does anyone know the model of zipper that Seaskin uses? Do I store it fully closed? Open just a few inches? Fully open with the zipper cover fully closed?

2. Has anyone had luck with using pullover style gloves (like in this video )
with the SI tech oval rings? I tried it with mine, and the seam on the arm creates a small channel where water rushes in. There doesn't seem to be enough of the plastic showing to get a firm seal on the glove.

3. How often do you talc the seams? I talced up then sweated a bit while trying the suit on, and it seems to have washed all the talc away.

4. When you use a quick connect with auto shut-off for the p-valve, do you remove the provided on/off valve, or do you use that in addition to the quick connect?

Thanks for all the collected wisdom of people who have struggled with these so that us latecomers don't have to!
I never got the oval system to seal. It sucks.

I store with the zipper open, usually just laid out in the basement. If in the bag for transportation zipper open and towards the outside (so roll up face down).

I don't always talc, but when I do it seems to be a better dive. Might be in my head or maybe the suit slips around better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom