Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did a weekend (5 dives) of diving in Lake Erie a few years ago. The first day I was in my Seaskin Nova with my Seaskin 250gsm undies. The water was 43F first dive, 44, and 48.

I was so warm that I changed to my 150 undies for the next day. Dives were 44F (at 147 feet) and 44F (at 127 feet). 49 minute dives, both times.

My head and hands were chilly. Otherwise, I was fine.

Depends. I wear a Arctic Halo 3D with my Seaskin in the mid to low 40's and I'm pretty damn cold by min 45. I can bear it until 60 or 70 min, but there's a point that I'm not enjoying it anymore. Now if it's a working dive (collecting / current) with the same setup I can stay in for longer in even colder temps. Down into the high 30's no problem.

I would put money on it you run a little hotter than most. Are you by chance the guy wearing shorts when short season is long past?:)

Just a question... Are you seriously going to dive 45deg (7 Celsius) waters in a 150 undersuit?? Because that's going to be effing cold...

For what it's worth I dive similar temps and got the extra room and am glad I did. It's pretty snug even with their supplied 250gsm undersuit. I'm going to try on some thinsulate 400 suits and hope I still fit into the suit.
I have both the 150 and 250 Seaskin undergarments. I don't know if I've even tried on the 250 because the 150 is toasty warm down in the mid 40s... I do know that the 250 is still hanging in my closet and stiff because I haven't broken it in at all. The 150 is super comfy

I have both the 150 and 250 Seaskin undergarments. I don't know if I've even tried on the 250 because the 150 is toasty warm down in the mid 40s... I do know that the 250 is still hanging in my closet and stiff because I haven't broken it in at all. The 150 is super comfy

I'm starting to think I'm an absolute pu$$y when it comes to the cold, lol. I have the 250 and I felt like I froze my ass off in 44. Given it was quarry diving and pretty boring, but still. Moving or looking at something exciting definitely makes a difference.

I'm starting to think I'm an absolute pu$$y when it comes to the cold, lol. I have the 250 and I felt like I froze my ass off in 44. Given it was quarry diving and pretty boring, but still. Moving or looking at something exciting definitely makes a difference.
I only get chilled when doing long scooter dives. If I'm fining then I'm good. I did manage to forget my socks for my first mid 40s dive over a weekend in May. My 150 kept me warm and the Nova neo socks were insulated enough to not be an issue over 65 minutes scooting. I wear normal Costco wool work socks now and my Seaskin thinsulate stay in my gear bag as a backup.

I only get chilled when doing long scooter dives. If I'm fining then I'm good. I did manage to forget my socks for my first mid 40s dive over a weekend in May. My 150 kept me warm and the Nova neo socks were insulated enough to not be an issue over 65 minutes scooting. I wear normal Costco wool work socks now and my Seaskin thinsulate stay in my gear bag as a backup.

I have tested it numerous times for myself. I won't look at the clock at all. In 44F just meandering about in a quarry I will make it until about the 25 min mark and feel perfectly fine, but somewhere around 25-30 min the cold creeps in. From there to 45 min I'm slightly cold, and then from there on I'm just trying to outdo whoever I'm diving with and secretly failing.

I wear an ok merino wool base layer under the Halo. Anywhere outside of the quarry I seem to do better, but again, more finning, more interesting stuff to look at.

I never get out shivering, so I guess I should add that. I'm never "holy crap I'm so cold it's dangerous"... just uncomfortable.

To each his own I guess... I dream of adding a heated vest at some point, lol.

I have tested it numerous times for myself. I won't look at the clock at all. In 44F just meandering about in a quarry I will make it until about the 25 min mark and feel perfectly fine, but somewhere around 25-30 min the cold creeps in. From there to 45 min I'm slightly cold, and then from there on I'm just trying to outdo whoever I'm diving with and secretly failing.

I wear an ok merino wool base layer under the Halo. Anywhere outside of the quarry I seem to do better, but again, more finning, more interesting stuff to look at.

I never get out shivering, so I guess I should add that. I'm never "holy crap I'm so cold it's dangerous"... just uncomfortable.

To each his own I guess... I dream of adding a heated vest at some point, lol.
I wear the Seaskin base + the 150 on all my dry dives. I really want the heated vest so I can go with that and some sweat pants during the summer when it's 90 up top and 55 at depth.

Are you by chance the guy wearing shorts when short season is long past?:)

Well, as a matter of fact... you can take the boy out of FL, but you can't take the FL out of the boy. It's shorts and flip flops weather pretty much year round, wherever I am....

Well, as a matter of fact... you can take the boy out of FL, but you can't take the FL out of the boy. It's shorts and flip flops weather pretty much year round, wherever I am....
I KNEW IT!!! Lol

Well.. I am the exact opposite. I might even be cold blooded. If it was a choice I'd wear a hoodie all year long.

I KNEW IT!!! Lol

Well.. I am the exact opposite. I might even be cold blooded. If it was a choice I'd wear a hoodie all year long.

LOL! I was riding my motorcycle in the mountains in north GA and TN last weekend. My buddies were whining about the cold. 2 of them did not ride on Sat because "it's too cold". I rode all day Saturday and never even turned on my heated jacket liner. I did run my heated grips on Low. I was wearing my summer gloves and my hands started to get a little chilly.

I'm not proud of my bioprene, but it does pay benefits occasionally...

LOL! I was riding my motorcycle in the mountains in north GA and TN last weekend. My buddies were whining about the cold. 2 of them did not ride on Sat because "it's too cold". I rode all day Saturday and never even turned on my heated jacket liner. I did run my heated grips on Low. I was wearing my summer gloves and my hands started to get a little chilly.

I'm not proud of my bioprene, but it does pay benefits occasionally...
I wear my heated winter gloves for anything below 55 or wet. No heated grips on my bike yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom