Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. Yes
2. No
3. No
4. No, no cover on my back zip but I do use and suggest on the nova.
5. yes
6. I don’t see the point in the hose tidy so don’t have it on any of my 3 suits.
7. I don’t even feel the 25mm.
8. (1) yes, (2) yes, (3) no opinion, I don’t use that type of undergarment. (4)yes but the standard old type also works fine but the telescoping has a nicer look. (5) you’ll be fine without the extra room. (6) yes, you’ll never get a better price. (7) sure for the first few uses. (8) for plastic zip only leave open an inch or two, for brass fully open. (9) no, I use and really prefer trigon.

Has anyone without the crotch or shoulder reinforcements had any problems with their BP/W straps damaging the suit?

Has anyone without the zipper cover had an issue with your zipper being damaged and wished you had the cover?
Get the cover. It's inexpensive and saves your very expensive dry zip
My understanding is that you can dive regular wetsuit gloves with the Kobi Fitted Cuff System (for when it's warmer and don't want to deal with drysuit gloves.) Is that correct?
Correct. Get the glove side from them and enjoy warm hands
Has anyone with the standard 25mm braces wished they went with the wider 40mm braces?
My buddy ordered 25 and wishes he had 40s. My 40s are only noticeable when I have the top half off and the weight of the suit is on them. 40s support the weight better imo.
If ordering undergarments, consider ordering in 2 separate orders at least 1 week apart to avoid the expensive duty on undergarments (less than $800 doesn't pay duty) since the suit duty is only 4%.
Specify that you want then shipped separately from your suit order. Don't give them the option. I was able to get my shipping refunded, but still had to pay the duties on all my extras

After reading all 2,506 posts in this thread, I still have a few questions and things I want people's opinions on. I'm predominantly going to be diving in quarries (temps 45-60F) and NJ boat diving (similar temps) for less than 1 hour.
  1. The Waterproof Neoprene neck seal sounds great. Am I correct that I would still want to get the Si Tech quick neck system with a few spare silicone seals so that I have a backup if the neoprene gets torn? I understand that the Waterproof Neoprene neck seal attaches to the Si Tech quick neck.
  2. Has anyone without the Kevlar knee pads had any issues with the knee area tearing or wearing through? I won't be crawling around much (if at all).
  3. Has anyone without the crotch or shoulder reinforcements had any problems with their BP/W straps damaging the suit?
  4. Has anyone without the zipper cover had an issue with your zipper being damaged and wished you had the cover?
  5. My understanding is that you can dive regular wetsuit gloves with the Kobi Fitted Cuff System (for when it's warmer and don't want to deal with drysuit gloves.) Is that correct?
  6. Has anyone with the Pee Valve Hose Tidy found that it actually makes things worse or gets in the way, or so you like it? I remember one person saying they thought it got in the way but don't remember reading anyone else's opinions.
  7. Has anyone with the standard 25mm braces wished they went with the wider 40mm braces?
  8. Lastly, is there any additional advice that wasn't given that you thought I should know? Here's a quick summary of what I learned from the thread:
    1. It will take about 2-3 months to arrive.
    2. Follow the instructions on how to measure (have 2 people measure, consider having a tailor do it).
    3. If ordering undergarments, consider ordering in 2 separate orders at least 1 week apart to avoid the expensive duty on undergarments (less than $800 doesn't pay duty) since the suit duty is only 4%.
    4. Telescoping torso makes it much easier to get into.
    5. I should be fine without the add extra room for undergarments option if I'm just going to use 150gm.
    6. Buy extra neck and wrist seals.
    7. Watch the YouTube video on how to talc the suit.
    8. Don't store with zippers partially open.
    9. There is universal agreement on which pee valve to get :)
Thanks to everyone who already posted on this thread. All the information was very helpful, and some of the witty banter back and forth was amusing.
I think this is by far the best thought out "please help me" post I've seen in this thread!

I thought it's a good idea to measure multiple times throughout a week and go with the largest measurements of all. I went to a tailor and sometimes it's still feels snugg even with the extra room. Most people wish they had a little more room.

I dive NJ and spend a good bit digging / kneeling in places I never thought I'd be. The knee pads are also really nice if you need to kneel in front of your gear at the bench to get anything from underneath.

Request to have the word "kevlar" removed if you do get the knee pads. It's not an option.

I have 40mm braces and think they're pretty comfortable, I think the 25 might be a little uncomfortable with a wet suit hanging, but that's just a guess.

You can dive dry gloves or wet gloves with any system you choose as long as the seals are intact. Some of us cut the seals back really far so there isn't really a seal at all (for better warmth) and we can't wear wet gloves without swapping seals. I never make it anywhere where I don't need liners, I just have different liners for different temps. I like showa 720's as dry gloves. They last me 6-9 months and I'm pretty hard on my gloves. I've never had a tear, they just get pin holes after a while.

Goodluck!

I think this is by far the best thought out "please help me" post I've seen in this thread!
Thanks, I tried.

Of course after I posted I realized I forgot to ask one more question:

Has anyone without the Inflation Valve Comfort Patch wished they had it? Anyone with it find it in the way / annoying and wished they didn't have it?

Thanks, I tried.

Has anyone without the Inflation Valve Comfort Patch wished they had it? Anyone with it find it in the way / annoying and wished they didn't have it?
I've always had them on my suit. Not sure if it makes a huge difference, but I can't think of a negative.

I notice that moisture will collect around the inflation valve on the inside. I "think" that the cold air coming into contact with the warmer air causes condensation, so having a little patch that keeps that just that much farther away seems to help at least some?

Didn't have one on my old Santi, have one now. Will order with any new suit in the future.

Thanks, I tried.

No need for one.

it adds a bit of padding when pressing your inflator. It costs less than $5 and can be removed via the velcro holding it on place. I see it as a couldn't hurt buy and will for sure get it on my next one.

Also, with the kubi ring system you don't have to cut out your wrist seals to go without them. The seals are user changeable and take about 2 minutes to remove and replace if desired. I dive dry gloves and no wrist seal with my kubis.

1. The Waterproof Neoprene neck seal sounds great. Am I correct that I would still want to get the Si Tech quick neck system with a few spare silicone seals so that I have a backup if the neoprene gets torn? I understand that the Waterproof Neoprene neck seal attaches to the Si Tech quick neck.
  2. Has anyone without the Kevlar knee pads had any issues with the knee area tearing or wearing through? I won't be crawling around much (if at all).
  3. Has anyone without the crotch or shoulder reinforcements had any problems with their BP/W straps damaging the suit?
  4. Has anyone without the zipper cover had an issue with your zipper being damaged and wished you had the cover?
  5. My understanding is that you can dive regular wetsuit gloves with the Kobi Fitted Cuff System (for when it's warmer and don't want to deal with drysuit gloves.) Is that correct?
  6. Has anyone with the Pee Valve Hose Tidy found that it actually makes things worse or gets in the way, or so you like it? I remember one person saying they thought it got in the way but don't remember reading anyone else's opinions.
  7. Has anyone with the standard 25mm braces wished they went with the wider 40mm braces?
Thanks to everyone who already posted on this thread. All the information was very helpful, and some of the witty banter back and forth was amusing.
I dive a seaskin of NJ boat dives. Few thoughts:

My kevlar kneepads already show signs of use after one season. Get them. Even for peace of mind when getting down on your knees to setup your gear. It's nice to have reinforcements there.
Get the wider suspenders. It's not much more momey and it's likely more comfortable. And presumably the attachment points to the suit are wider also. I don't know how the thinner ones feel cause I don't have them.

I've got shoulder and back reinforcements. Do I think it's absolutely needed? No. Would I get them again? Yes. It's not expensive and it doesn't add much stiffness to the suit.

I've got the pee hose tidy thing. I would probably not get it again. Especially if you hookup all the time, it's not needed.

Zipper cover. Useful to keep debris and particles away from your main zipper. I see no reason why not getting it. Also it can be ordered in same color than sleeves so that's a nice color element to the torso.

Good luck with your order! I love my seaskin drysuit and pretty sure you will too.

Thanks, I tried.

The comfort patch adds.... Wait for it... Comfort when you inflate your suit. Pressing down digs less in your skin. I like having it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom