Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@rob.mwpropane

So what did UPS say about the warehouse charges?

Oh man, this week has been so busy at work I haven't had a chance to call yet. I did look up some stuff, I'll try to fight at least some of it, especially the warehouse charge. I'm sure they'll get something from me.

It's wild because I never signed for it, never got a notice of intent for the follow up bill. They just left the package on my sidewalk out in front of my house and then sent me the bill close to a month later?

1941 posts are read. I just googled if I should be worried about choosing a Seaskin........
At the moment I've just got a few questions:
  1. Can anyone in the Netherlands and anyone in Germany tell me about the custom duties for import in the EU?
  2. Should I order blue arms?
  3. Are there any BPW users without PU reinforcements having trouble with wear?
  4. Are low profile Apex dumps still leaking?

After a 14 year surface interval I've started diving again. I'll be starting public safety diving in the near future and some teaching.
My neoprene 7/7 has shrunk some during my prolonged SI and my used rubber DS was really never dry. Now I'm in the market for a new dry suit and found a lot more on diving in the www and a mentioning of Seaskin as a worthy alternative.

For now I'm (almost) sure about:
  • Fully telescopic torso
  • Zip cover
  • Plastic zip
  • Hose tidy
  • Quick neck
  • Warm neck standard
  • Oval cuffs
  • DIR placement
  • High profile Apex
  • Comfort patch
  • Socks
  • Kevlar pads
  • Name badge
  • Bag upgrade witch badge
  • 2 expedition pockets outer seams
  • Suspender pocket

What I'm in doubt of is:
  • P-valve now or later, and wenn which?
  • Any PU reinforcements
  • Logos
  • Reflecting pads
  • Elastic back panel slid of my sure list
  • 40mm suspenders
  • Computer straps
  • Trilobites, I've got them on my BPW
I'm open for any input. What's the latest on delivery, 3 months?

Can answer questions 2, no (just personal opinion, if you like the idea then yes)
3, no reinforcements added on any of my suits.

P valve, now, I prefer trigon.
no reinforcements
dont care about logo’s, won’t pay to add or remove.
reflecting pads?
elastic back, no
standard suspenders work fine
computer straps, I don’t use them or the cutter add ons.

1. Should I order blue arms?
  2. Are low profile Apex dumps still leaking?
  • Any PU reinforcements
  • Logos
  • Reflecting pads
  • 40mm suspenders
  • Computer straps
I ordered red arms. Look on their website, there's pictures of divers in their seaskin suit. I figure blue looks good as well. You can order the cover zip in the same color than the arms.
I ordered on the last day of the year and proposed ship date is 31 March. So 3 months indeed.
I didn't want any logos. Also made a note that I definitely don't want the Kevlar logo on the knee pads.
I didn't want extra reflective patches.
I did not go for 40 mm suspenders. The buckles are bulkier. If the 25 mm bother me, I can always add padding.
From reading online the low profile dumps leaking is no longer an issue, I'd prefer low profile so I don't snag on it while gearing up.
I added the computer straps just because I like the certainty that my computers are always in the same place. I hope it works for me and I end up using them. Time will tell. Went with the P-valve now. Don't plan to use it right away but I think I will eventually.
Have fun configuring your perfect suit!

Get whatever color you like. The blue is pretty good looking.
I went with red arms, zip cover and pockets.
Knee, shoulder, butt and back reinforcements because why not.
Trigon pee valve. It's cheaper overall through them to buy it and have installed.
One of the guys I know got his with the 25mm braces and wishes he'd gone with the 40mm instead.
No seaskin badges.
No extra reflective material
Trilobite on right forearm
No to the elastic back

Get the 40mm braces, color is whatever you like, get the pee valve, I got the reinforcement because why not, it’s not expensive.

What I'm in doubt of is:
  • Any PU reinforcements
  • Logos
  • Reflecting pads
  • Elastic back panel slid of my sure list
  • 40mm suspenders
  • Computer straps

I would say yes, definitely, to the pee valve. If you don't get it, you will most likely wait a loong time to get one and put it in. And it will cost more. It's not just a comfort and convenience thing. I feel like it is a safety thing, too. Not a HUGE safety thing, mind you, but hear me out. A significant predisposing factor to getting bent is dehydration. A wetsuit is a minor inconvenience if you need to pee. Most people will just pee while wearing it. Those that won't, can don and doff a wetsuit quickly, to be able to pee just before or after a dive.

Donning/doffing a drysuit takes a lot more time. If you have to doff it super quickly a time or two because you got out and need to pee, you will likely start to limit your fluid intake in the future, before you dive, to help ensure you don't have to pee during the dive. That is not good.

Get a pee valve with the suit, so it's there and waiting when you're ready and you don't have any excuse to avoid drinking enough fluids before you dive.

I have the 40mm suspenders on my Nova and 25mm on my Ultra. For some reason, they don't offer the 40mm suspenders with the Ultra. I don't know why. Maybe should have asked if I could get them. Oh, well.

I really prefer the 40mm, because they are stronger. Less sagging when the suit is wet (thus, heavy) and pulled down around your waist. The buckles on the 40mm are bulkier than the ones on the 25mm, but I can only say that from looking at them. They don't make any difference in how they feel. I mean, I don't feel them either way when wearing the suit.

I got computer straps on the wrists of my Nova and like them. I got trilobytes on both sleeves of my Ultra and kinda wish I had not. They tend to catch on the shoulder straps of my harness when I'm putting my BP/W or CCR on or taking it off. And they are a bit in the way of where I want to put my computer(s) and/or CCR handset.

I got no reflective stuff on my suits, so it wouldn't ruin photos if someone were to take one with me in the picture (and using strobes or lights).

Bit late to the party.

1. I don't know
2. Up to you
3. I don't have back panel protection, but did put a pad on my BPW to avoid screw poking a finger size hole if I fall while carrying it on one shoulder like it happened with my old suit (back protection wouldn't help anyway)
4. No (I had it on my old suit and had absolutely 0 issues, and no issues now)

Yes, you should be able to change your order until they start actual production of your suit.
TBH, I am now regretting not leaving Seaskin logo on, seeing how nice it looks on hood.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom