Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find with my trigon I need to take apart and clean every ~ 6 months or so.

Just curious: What happened that brought you to this conclusion? Did you have a leak and get wet and it was resolved by cleaning the pee valve? (maybe you should drink more water LOLOL!)

I have Trigon valves on both my Seaskins. I took them both apart one time to compare the innards (because of some thread here on SB, IIRC). Otherwise, I have never had them apart. Just normal disinfection by squirting Steramine through them.

Side note for those new to pee valves. Get yourself some quick disconnect fittings. I get mine from McMaster-Carr or Grainger. I can't remember which, but I'm sure I've posted links elsewhere here on SB if you care to search for them.

Get at least 2 of the female side. They're cheap and you'll have a backup if the one you're using breaks. Make sure you get the "dry break" version. That means that it will be closed when there is nothing plugged into it. That way, if your pee valve does leak internally, the hose and QD fitting will contain it and prevent the water from coming through the hose all the way into your suit. Obviously, this means nothing if you have a leak AROUND the pee valve (i.e. water coming in between the outside of the pee valve and the suit material itself).

To clean the line when you have a dry break QD fitting, you have to insert a male fitting into it before you can push cleaning solution through it. Duh.

Get 5 or more of the male side. They are super cheap and this is the part you'll insert into the end of your condom catheter. That means they are easily lost just because they are small and what do you do with it after you take the catheter off and remove the QD fitting from it? I don't know about y'all, but often that happens in a public bathroom or a parking lot or on the boat, and I don't have my bag handy to put the part in for safe storage. So... just get some extras and thank me later. :)

@rob.mwpropane , did you get the warm neck option on your suit?

I have the "simple warm neck" on my Nova. It may be warmer than no "warm neck" option at all, but it is still nothing compared to having a neoprene neck seal.

The Waterproof replaceable neoprene neck seal that fits the Si Tech Quick Neck is The Bomb. Not cheap, but totally worth it (to me, anyway). Which reminds me. I need to pull out my Nova today and change it back to the neo neck seal from the silicone one before my dive tomorrow....

I have the "simple warm neck" on my Nova. It may be warmer than no "warm neck" option at all, but it is still nothing compared to having a neoprene neck seal.

The Waterproof replaceable neoprene neck seal that fits the Si Tech Quick Neck is The Bomb. Not cheap, but totally worth it (to me, anyway). Which reminds me. I need to pull out my Nova today and change it back to the neo neck seal from the silicone one before my dive tomorrow....
Cool. Another something on my shopping list! 😂 Dear wife took my measurements today. Ordering my Seaskin dry suit on this last day of 2022! Thrilled.

Just curious: What happened that brought you to this conclusion? Did you have a leak and get wet and it was resolved by cleaning the pee valve? (maybe you should drink more water LOLOL!)

I have Trigon valves on both my Seaskins. I took them both apart one time to compare the innards (because of some thread here on SB, IIRC). Otherwise, I have never had them apart. Just normal disinfection by squirting Steramine through them.

Side note for those new to pee valves. Get yourself some quick disconnect fittings. I get mine from McMaster-Carr or Grainger. I can't remember which, but I'm sure I've posted links elsewhere here on SB if you care to search for them.

Get at least 2 of the female side. They're cheap and you'll have a backup if the one you're using breaks. Make sure you get the "dry break" version. That means that it will be closed when there is nothing plugged into it. That way, if your pee valve does leak internally, the hose and QD fitting will contain it and prevent the water from coming through the hose all the way into your suit. Obviously, this means nothing if you have a leak AROUND the pee valve (i.e. water coming in between the outside of the pee valve and the suit material itself).

To clean the line when you have a dry break QD fitting, you have to insert a male fitting into it before you can push cleaning solution through it. Duh.

Get 5 or more of the male side. They are super cheap and this is the part you'll insert into the end of your condom catheter. That means they are easily lost just because they are small and what do you do with it after you take the catheter off and remove the QD fitting from it? I don't know about y'all, but often that happens in a public bathroom or a parking lot or on the boat, and I don't have my bag handy to put the part in for safe storage. So... just get some extras and thank me later. :)
This pee valve thing is what I'm most nervous about starting my drysuit adventures. Psychologically I can't even let go while wearing a wetsuit!

This pee valve thing is what I'm most nervous about starting my drysuit adventures. Psychologically I can't even let go while wearing a wetsuit!
Don’t hook it up for the first few dives, dive until you can’t stand it than hook up, you can add a lot of dive time and be properly hydrated, let go, let it flow.

I use the trigon, I just run some water through before rinsing the suit, just don’t go nuts with pressure and it will be fine, more trouble free than the balancing system used in others but they are all good.

I went with socks for the same reason. I think (hope) in a few months I love them. First impression moving from boots though is "it's just one more thing".

And honestly, I'll probably find one set of footwear and wear that everywhere. As far as the floaty feet... it is less likely to get, but I have size 14 boots on my other suit which was at least 1 size too big. In the beginning it was problematic, but in hind sight it might have helped me trim out better? I really couldn't go "feet up" at all as my boots let me know it right away. I never get that problem anymore when I dive the suit, and my feet surely didn't grow. I remember in the beginning feeling my feet puff up like a balloon.

I got all the reinforcements.

I think it does equal less flexibility a little.. at least on land. I feel slightly stiffer than what I perceive people in suits without all the pads feel. Once I'm in the water I don't feel they inhibit movement in any way. Maybe it's because I'm horizontal in the water and weightless? On land I just feel like I'm putting on a tank of a suit. I can turn and move all about but the slight stiffness of the suit definitely let's me know it's there. I hope that makes sense. It's like t shirt and pajama pants vs sweatshirt and thicker pants..

Gosh I hope I'm making sense.. its early.

ALSO... GOT MY CUSTOMS INVOICE FROM UPS $163.00🤬🤬🤬

Any way to get that down at all? I think they charged me for the whole order when it's really only supposed to be the undergarments?​

Post the screenshot of the HS codes and such that UPS used. I want to see what they did.

Once an entry is done by the air couriers, it’s pretty much done. Disputing a small amount of duties (not thousands of dollars) is not worth it. And I don’t know if UPS will do a correction.

You'll get over it. For me opposite is true. I got so used to it that I almost peed myself on few dives I didn't plug myself (short dives).

@rob.mwpropane , did you get the warm neck option on your suit?
Yes.. but into the 30's water temp it's just not enough. It's not that I called the dive, it wasn't that bad, just noticable enough to be annoying.

Lots of blood flow through your neck, waterproof makes a neoprene neck seal for the quick neck system, it’s pricy but worth it, I get then through DRIS. I use it on my neo suit and have a new one for my new nova but haven’t changed it yet.
I have read about it, just didn't pull the trigger. I will at some point. I can see it making a difference for sure.

Actually I did. Tbh, I probably don't flush mine as often as I should. Just hurrying up, done for the day, want to get out of there kind of thing. I did say in my post I've never had a leak that wasn't user error, lol.

I am glad that I've taken it apart... not a lot to it.

Post the screenshot of the HS codes and such that UPS used. I want to see what they did.

Once an entry is done by the air couriers, it’s pretty much done. Disputing a small amount of duties (not thousands of dollars) is not worth it. And I don’t know if UPS will do a correction.

I don't see "HS Codes", but I have these?

Attachments

• UPS1.jpg
    UPS1.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 61
  • UPS2.jpg
    UPS2.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 67
Duty class is the 10 digit HS codes. Tariff rate is the duty.

You got hit with 28% on the undies and socks. Duty on garments is usually pretty high.

You got hit the most between drysuit (4%) and your undies. I don’t see anything out of line with your entry.

Disbursement fee is UPS paying duties on your behalf. Normal. Complex entry fee is for the multiple lines. Normal.

Not sure about the warehouse fees. Did UPS keep it for a bit before it was delivered to you? That’s the only part I would question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom