Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have 3 dives on mine (so take this with that in mind), but coming from another drysuit I have some observations.

If you do get kevlar knee pads you can request to forgo the name "kevlar" in yellow. I like it better that way, looks less tacky. This is not an option, has to be requested.

Everybody has given you all good advice, just remember that these are all "add ons" and the suit will still be dry no matter what.

The only thing that I have to add would be my experience with the light monkey vs trigon p valves. I have both between the 2 suits and haven't had an issue with either that wasn't user error. The trigon is a little lower profile but the light monkey can be turned on / off from the outside. What I have been doing is letting some cleaner through and then shutting the valve off and letting it sit for ~ 20s or so. With the trigon there can't be any sitting. I find with my trigon I need to take apart and clean every ~ 6 months or so. With either you can pee... just pros and cons to either or.

I also have boots on one suit vs socks on the Seaskin. As of right now I kind of miss my boots, it was just one less thing to worry about or think about. My hope is that I get used to the socks and my tune changes in a few months... we'll see.

I love my suit... dove it today. 37f for 1hr 42m, was amazing. Used it to crawl all over the bottom of the Chesapeake in search of oysters (with my kevlar knee pads, lol). Thing is built like a tank, and feels so good in the water.

Good luck!!
Thanks for sharing your experience @rob.mwpropane !
I think I'll go with the balanced light monkey pee valve.
I hear you re the boots. For me it's my first drysuit so I'm used to dealing with wetsuit booties. 😊
I think I prefer the socks due to faster drying, ability to turn suit inside out and also I understand there's less chance of floaty feet. I also like the flexibility to get whatever footware I'd like.

Only thing I would add is shoulder reinforcements, especially if you are diving heavy steel doubles.

Things I would add/change:
- shoulder reinforcements, especially if you are diving heavy steel doubles.
- I would also change pockets to largest ones (I think they are called expedition pockets). They lay flat when empty and no one ever complained of having too much pocket space.
- if diving with BPW, consider back panel protection.
- not sure if you added those options, but since they are not listed I'll guess you haven't: wide braces, braces pocket for your keys etc, P-hose tidy.
- IMO, elasticated back panel is not needed.

I have around 30 dives on my suit, no problems with Trigon valve so far.

This being said, chose whatever you think will work the best for you, not for me or anyone else here.
Thanks @admikar !
I dive single steel 120 with BPW. I might get the shoulder and backpanel reinforcements...
Thanks for the tips on wider braces and p-hose tidy! Will add those. The braces pocket could also be handy to have though maybe I DIY something instead.
The pockets you mentioned are with velcro flaps? I think I prefer zippers instead of a flap.
Will indeed forego the elasticated back.

Get a light monkey balanced pee valve.

Forget the miflex hose, it comes with one…

I got all the reinforcement and the knee pads because why not?

Forget the elastic back panel unless you’re a woman.
Thanks @Robert H. Diver! Good advice. Will go with the balanced light monkey valve and drop the elastic back panel.
On reinforcements, I was thinking to limit as it might make the suit heavier and less flexible? Right now I'm leaning towards only backpanel and shoulders. I dive with BP/W and 120 steel single with pony attached. Maybe doubles in future.

Thanks @Robert H. Diver! Good advice. Will go with the balanced light monkey valve and drop the elastic back panel.
On reinforcements, I was thinking to limit as it might make the suit heavier and less flexible? Right now I'm leaning towards only backpanel and shoulders. I dive with BP/W and 120 steel single with pony attached. Maybe doubles in future.

The reinforcement doesn’t make it any less flexible in my opinion. You can probably get away with not getting the thicker knee pads if you don’t want them.

Thanks for sharing your experience @rob.mwpropane !
I think I'll go with the balanced light monkey pee valve.
I hear you re the boots. For me it's my first drysuit so I'm used to dealing with wetsuit booties. 😊
I think I prefer the socks due to faster drying, ability to turn suit inside out and also I understand there's less chance of floaty feet. I also like the flexibility to get whatever footware I'd like.
I went with socks for the same reason. I think (hope) in a few months I love them. First impression moving from boots though is "it's just one more thing".

And honestly, I'll probably find one set of footwear and wear that everywhere. As far as the floaty feet... it is less likely to get, but I have size 14 boots on my other suit which was at least 1 size too big. In the beginning it was problematic, but in hind sight it might have helped me trim out better? I really couldn't go "feet up" at all as my boots let me know it right away. I never get that problem anymore when I dive the suit, and my feet surely didn't grow. I remember in the beginning feeling my feet puff up like a balloon.

The reinforcement doesn’t make it any less flexible in my opinion. You can probably get away with not getting the thicker knee pads if you don’t want them.
I got all the reinforcements.

I think it does equal less flexibility a little.. at least on land. I feel slightly stiffer than what I perceive people in suits without all the pads feel. Once I'm in the water I don't feel they inhibit movement in any way. Maybe it's because I'm horizontal in the water and weightless? On land I just feel like I'm putting on a tank of a suit. I can turn and move all about but the slight stiffness of the suit definitely let's me know it's there. I hope that makes sense. It's like t shirt and pajama pants vs sweatshirt and thicker pants..

Gosh I hope I'm making sense.. its early.

ALSO... GOT MY CUSTOMS INVOICE FROM UPS $163.00🤬🤬🤬

Any way to get that down at all? I think they charged me for the whole order when it's really only supposed to be the undergarments?​

File a dispute with UPS and ask for a breakdown.

as for one more thing, stick the foot wear in your fins, once you get used to that you won’t forget your boots, I like the socks because I get the versatility of shoes to fins not fins to shoes but I probably have to many fins.

File a dispute with UPS and ask for a breakdown.

as for one more thing, stick the foot wear in your fins, once you get used to that you won’t forget your boots, I like the socks because I get the versatility of shoes to fins not fins to shoes but I probably have to many fins.
I'll do that with UPS.

As for the socks.. I'm sure I will come to like them, it's just growing pains.

Another thing I noticed yesterday was a silicone neck is much colder then a neoprene neck. I did like an hr and 40 min in 37f water and I'll noticed my neck much more then ever before. Not enough to call the dive, but it had me wondering what that does to the body?

I'll do that with UPS.

As for the socks.. I'm sure I will come to like them, it's just growing pains.

Another thing I noticed yesterday was a silicone neck is much colder then a neoprene neck. I did like an hr and 40 min in 37f water and I'll noticed my neck much more then ever before. Not enough to call the dive, but it had me wondering what that does to the body?
Lots of blood flow through your neck, waterproof makes a neoprene neck seal for the quick neck system, it’s pricy but worth it, I get then through DRIS. I use it on my neo suit and have a new one for my new nova but haven’t changed it yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom