Scubapro Mouthpiece - modifying??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I really like my "Supercomfort" mouthpiece that came with my Scubapro regs, but I need advice on modifying it.

I have jaw problems and it releaved the stress, but now I have problems with it chaffing cutting my upper lip. The flange between that goes between the upper teeth and upper lip cuts into my lip chaffing or worse cutting my lip. I was bleeding most of the way through my last dive. Wet suit + flipping cold water + bleeding = just too much masochism for one dive (I guess the mouthpiece wasn't designed for us women with smaller mouths.)

Otherwise, I like the mouthpiece. Anyone have any experience with how to modify it... either filing down or heating?

I tried the archives and found a lot on mouthpieces and custom mouthpieces, but not on modifying them.

Thanks

Mer, try the SeaCure mouthpiece. It's a custom mouthpiece, you trim it to fit your mouth, then heat it up in hot water, put it in your mouth (it won't burn), bite down, it molds itself to your bite, and then you mount it onto your reg instead of the old mouthpiece. It seems to be pretty comfortable, gives a lot more support to your jaws, and you can trim the excess of the mouthpiece pretty easily to fit your mouth.

-Roman.

Thanks Roman, I'll keep that in mind.

But right now I'm rather poor, so any ideas on how to make what I have work would make me really happy. :coke:

Sounds nasty......I don't think the seacure mouthpeices are terribly expensive, but that is always relative, I know it has helped me, I used to clench terribly and always come up with a headache and misaligned jaw....no matter how much I told myself to relax.....the seacure is pretty good, for me anyway.....maybe you could trim the flange a bit so it sits lower, as long as it doesn't end up leaking...
:cheers:

The seacure mouthpiece was about $35 at the LDS. Looking at the mouthpiece you got (I'm pretty sure I have the same one, soft glossy black rubber, right?) try using an exacto knife to slice small sections (<1/8" or so) off the flanges in the areas that are cutting into your gums. Once you cut it, you can smooth the sharp edges leftover from the slicing with some sandpaper or a file (remember to thoroughly wash the mouthpiece afterwards, of course :) . Wouldn't want the shavings to end up in your mouth, eh?). Remember to cut small even slices off and try it in your mouth after every adjustment. When it feels right, break out the sandpaper. Hope this helps. Cheers!

-Roman.

My wife had similar problem with her S600. I used small scissors and trimmed away the section of rubber that rubbed. No more problem and no more cost. But the seacure is a very comfortable mouthpiece.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom