Modifying Dive rite Nomad XT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just normal back plates and transpak’s (not one set up for side mount are mounted on the back of the back plate so the harness hugs you . I think I’m just going to buy a Rec wing with 45lbs of lift. It mounts on the back of the plate .

I don't think you will notice any difference. The nomad wing was designed very specifically to be wider than the transpac and that wing was based on the Rec wing originally. Before you buy a $500 wing I would recommend unthreading the outer wing retainers on the Nomad wing and try diving with it loose. You will get an idea of what it will feel like. At that point the only thing that will be "different" is the top of the wing is under the shoulder straps which should be loose anyway and the only time you would ever feel it is if the wing is full to the point of the OPV going off.

I don't think you will notice any difference. The nomad wing was designed very specifically to be wider than the transpac and that wing was based on the Rec wing originally. Before you buy a $500 wing I would recommend unthreading the outer wing retainers on the Nomad wing and try diving with it loose. You will get an idea of what it will feel like. At that point the only thing that will be "different" is the top of the wing is under the shoulder straps which should be loose anyway and the only time you would ever feel it is if the wing is full to the point of the OPV going off.

I got a 90 lb OMS Trieste redundant wing.....Guess what it works perfectly for what I do...The NORMAL divers will be by in a little while.....I hunt relics but was at the local lake ...You can see my set up in the first part of this video...There is a BIG disconnect with the so called normal folks....I wear a lot of weight too (HAVE TOO to stay in place)...
You are asking advice from a group who most of have no experience in what your doing...
Not saying they are not experts in what they do ...I understand open water diving I just dont do it so I know where they are coming from...
Darkwater river diving is WAY different ..For instance the so called over weighting they see as a danger is actually a SAFETY feature of dark water river diving...
WE me and you are working in current on the bottom ..we MUST not get sept down the river or have to fight the current to stay in place..

The wing I use is for single or doubles and that came from the OMS website...It tacos some but who cares...IT IS PERFECT FOR THE TYPE OF DIVING I DO....
I Will be buying a back up as they do not make it anymore.
I appreciate the insite!! I agree a different kind of diving I almost never wear fins just walk around on the bottom 😂. With a wing like that fit on the transpak ?

A six footer decided he wanted to swim up my way and check me out the other day..It was the ten footer up the way that had me concerned...
And this is why we look at you southern freshwater divers funny! Bad enough y'all have ugly snakes, but those gators...well, that puts me into screaming-little-girl mode.

Actually would love to dive some of the rivers and lakes down there for relic hunting but I just cannot mentally wrap my head around the presence of gators.

Seriously though, How do you folks deal with the dinosaurs?

And this is why we look at you southern freshwater divers funny! Bad enough y'all have ugly snakes, but those gators...well, that puts me into screaming-little-girl mode.

Actually would love to dive some of the rivers and lakes down there for relic hunting but I just cannot mentally wrap my head around the presence of gators.

Seriously though, How do you folks deal with the dinosaurs?
they are generally unhappy with the presence of bubbles. If they do anything they will just leave but normally will carry on sleeping. You're far too big for them to bother with in the water and the bubbles are unnerving. If you purge a regulator near them they're usually gone. @The Chairman has some fun gator stories from back in the day.

they are generally unhappy with the presence of bubbles. If they do anything they will just leave but normally will carry on sleeping. You're far too big for them to bother with in the water and the bubbles are unnerving. If you purge a regulator near them they're usually gone. @The Chairman has some fun gator stories from back in the day.
No creature that lives in the water likes anything that farts out its mouth. Bubbles have always scared gators for me, and before they were protected, we would swim under them and give them a blast of air just to watch them scoot. Watch out for the tail. However, once a gator exceeds 8 ft, I give them a wide berth. They can make the water dance for mating as well if they think you're a bit too close...

Back
Top Bottom