Modifying Dive rite Nomad XT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Justinboorstein

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So this may be a stupid question unfortunately a while back I was sold the wrong BC . I have a dive right nomad XT with a trans pack xt . I mainly single tank dive but I am a fossil hunter across the bottom of rivers and I really love the wing because it’s very durable and has 50 pounds of lift but it’s more set up for side mount and a little less comfortable. I was going to buy a new wing but I was curious if I could modify the nomad Xt ?? So the issue is the nomad goes on the inside of the trans pack so the BC is under the shoulder straps it makes it to the tanks it’s a little lower than it should I was going to just buy a new wing but the more I look at it I was wondering if I could just modify the fabric so the upper tank strap could be accessible. Basically all I need to do is cut a hole or strip in the fabric between the BC so I can mount the nomad via the screws on the back of the TransPak and that uppery tank strap can go through those holes.

does anyone see an issue with that?
Thanks Justin

Attachments

• 024E3C0B-45EB-4555-9FEC-6313468161F2.jpeg
    024E3C0B-45EB-4555-9FEC-6313468161F2.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 78
It’s not made for single tank. Way too much lift. I dive one for SM. Just get a new wing. Why didn’t you get a refund/exchange?

I dove it for years and never really noticed brought into a dive shop recently and he pointed it out. Right now I have a hard time surfacing if I find a lot of fossils 😂😂. I wear around 30+ pounds of weight currents can get really bad in rivers really need to stay on the bottom and crawl around so I definitely don’t wanna go less than 50

I dove it for years and never really noticed brought into a dive shop recently and he pointed it out. Right now I have a hard time surfacing if I find a lot of fossils 😂😂. I wear around 30+ pounds of weight currents can get really bad in rivers really need to stay on the bottom and crawl around so I definitely don’t wanna go less than 50
Oh, sweet Jesus, you’re one of those guys! There’s another poster here who digs up stuff in a southern river. He’s got a freaking weird configuration from the rest of us “normal” divers. 🤣😂

Oh, sweet Jesus, you’re one of those guys! There’s another poster here who digs up stuff in a southern river. He’s got a freaking weird configuration from the rest of us “normal” divers. 🤣😂
Yup 😂😂😂we are definitely weird bunch . Just being cheap I probably will just buy a new wing but bugs me there is this pice of fabric preventing the upper strap . I’m a doctor by trade so trained to ask questions . I don’t see why I can’t but I’m sure some people on here are smarter than me so figured I would ask 🤟🤟.

Most want to float . I want to sink ! And do a job =pick up Rocks . This tooth is from open water I float like normal people out there 😂😂

Attachments

• A820F961-5C4A-48F3-88FF-8E1DF22C6E0A.jpeg
    A820F961-5C4A-48F3-88FF-8E1DF22C6E0A.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 68
I'm going to try to follow that post.

Please post a picture of where you have your tank now and where you actually want it to sit, that would be very helpful as I don't understand why the wing has anything to do with the cam band location or why the wing under the straps would cause any comfort issues.

You may want to use a lift bag if you have lift issues, but that's a different discussion for a different day.

What I would do in your shoes. Remove the retention tabs from the waist belt that keep the wing on your hips. Alternatively you can slide them all the way back so the wing can fully inflate at the bottom. Incidentally, if you're wearing that much on a belt the Nomad is probably the best wing design you can have since it pushes so much lift to your hips. Below is a VERY old picture and it's on final ascent hence being vertical, but it shows me with a Nomad in single tank HP120. Tank is sitting right where it is supposed to and can obviously go up much higher since the bottom cam band can come up.

Best thing is to show us pics of your actual rig and on a tank so we can see what you're fighting.

1663187460736.png

I'm going to try to follow that post.

Please post a picture of where you have your tank now and where you actually want it to sit, that would be very helpful as I don't understand why the wing has anything to do with the cam band location or why the wing under the straps would cause any comfort issues.

You may want to use a lift bag if you have lift issues, but that's a different discussion for a different day.

What I would do in your shoes. Remove the retention tabs from the waist belt that keep the wing on your hips. Alternatively you can slide them all the way back so the wing can fully inflate at the bottom. Incidentally, if you're wearing that much on a belt the Nomad is probably the best wing design you can have since it pushes so much lift to your hips. Below is a VERY old picture and it's on final ascent hence being vertical, but it shows me with a Nomad in single tank HP120. Tank is sitting right where it is supposed to and can obviously go up much higher since the bottom cam band can come up.

Best thing is to show us pics of your actual rig and on a tank so we can see what you're fighting.

View attachment 743698
I’m gonna upload three pictures the first one shows the TransPak XT fits on the exterior of the wing so my should straps are over the wing .

The next picture shows the place that I would need to modify on the wing .. Since I would like to mount the wing on the back of the trans pak xt There is no hole for the top tank strap to come through the wing

Third picture shows how it connects to my tank currently and that tank strap is the one I would need to modify wing to accommodate.

Attachments

• 2E9C07FD-8D06-428D-BF70-15D11FE52187.jpeg
    2E9C07FD-8D06-428D-BF70-15D11FE52187.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 487C7D8B-CC79-499B-BA66-55267CFC8927.jpeg
    487C7D8B-CC79-499B-BA66-55267CFC8927.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 91B91CC5-B91B-4E59-9360-8B9632E1E109.jpeg
    91B91CC5-B91B-4E59-9360-8B9632E1E109.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 81
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back