Modifying Dive rite Nomad XT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to try to follow that post.

Please post a picture of where you have your tank now and where you actually want it to sit, that would be very helpful as I don't understand why the wing has anything to do with the cam band location or why the wing under the straps would cause any comfort issues.

You may want to use a lift bag if you have lift issues, but that's a different discussion for a different day.

What I would do in your shoes. Remove the retention tabs from the waist belt that keep the wing on your hips. Alternatively you can slide them all the way back so the wing can fully inflate at the bottom. Incidentally, if you're wearing that much on a belt the Nomad is probably the best wing design you can have since it pushes so much lift to your hips. Below is a VERY old picture and it's on final ascent hence being vertical, but it shows me with a Nomad in single tank HP120. Tank is sitting right where it is supposed to and can obviously go up much higher since the bottom cam band can come up.

Best thing is to show us pics of your actual rig and on a tank so we can see what you're fighting.

View attachment 743698
@calabash digger

Your buddy in hobby needs help here ^^^^^^
Maybe I should just buy a new wing with atleast 50 lbs of lift .

Attachments

• B6B140ED-409C-47C0-83EA-715247DEF487.jpeg
    B6B140ED-409C-47C0-83EA-715247DEF487.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 47
I’m gonna upload three pictures the first one shows the TransPak XT fits on the exterior of the wing so my should straps are over the wing .

The next picture shows the place that I would need to modify on the wing .. Since I would like to mount the wing on the back of the trans pak xt There is no hole for the top tank strap to come through the wing

Third picture shows how it connects to my tank currently and that tank strap is the one I would need to modify wing to accommodate.
Maybe I should just buy a new wing with atleast 50 lbs of lift .

A 50lb wing won't be safe or smart to dive with a single tank. If you need that much with a single the Nomad is by far the least bad way to do it.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish by moving the wing to the outside though? What is it not doing on the inside that you think will work better on the outside?

A 50lb wing won't be safe or smart to dive with a single tank. If you need that much with a single the Nomad is by far the least bad way to do it.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish by moving the wing to the outside though? What is it not doing on the inside that you think will work better on the outside?
More comfortable like a back plate set up. I may just buy a new wing that mounts on the exterior transpak. That much lift is just for emergency never fully inflate often . But if I got grabbed by a 12ft alligator I want to float up and be able to push my garmin in reach SOS button . 🤷‍♂️

More comfortable like a back plate set up. I may just buy a new wing that mounts on the exterior transpak. That much lift is just for emergency never fully inflate often . But if I got grabbed by a 12ft alligator I want to float up and be able to push my garmin in reach SOS button . 🤷‍♂️
The issues with a wing that large are exacerbated when it is less than full....

That said, what comfort improvements do you expect to see from moving the wing to the outside?

The issues with a wing that large are exacerbated when it is less than full....

That said, what comfort improvements do you expect to see from moving the wing to the outside?
Just normal back plates and transpak’s (not one set up for side mount are mounted on the back of the back plate so the harness hugs you . I think I’m just going to buy a Rec wing with 45lbs of lift. It mounts on the back of the plate .

Attachments

• 9D2CFFA6-E3AD-4DD8-978E-0E025807D603.png
    9D2CFFA6-E3AD-4DD8-978E-0E025807D603.png
    198 KB · Views: 45
I got a 90 lb OMS Trieste redundant wing.....Guess what it works perfectly for what I do...The NORMAL divers will be by in a little while.....I hunt relics but was at the local lake ...You can see my set up in the first part of this video...There is a BIG disconnect with the so called normal folks....I wear a lot of weight too (HAVE TOO to stay in place)...
You are asking advice from a group who most of have no experience in what your doing...
Not saying they are not experts in what they do ...I understand open water diving I just dont do it so I know where they are coming from...
Darkwater river diving is WAY different ..For instance the so called over weighting they see as a danger is actually a SAFETY feature of dark water river diving...
WE me and you are working in current on the bottom ..we MUST not get sept down the river or have to fight the current to stay in place..

The wing I use is for single or doubles and that came from the OMS website...It tacos some but who cares...IT IS PERFECT FOR THE TYPE OF DIVING I DO....
I Will be buying a back up as they do not make it anymore.

A six footer decided he wanted to swim up my way and check me out the other day..It was the ten footer up the way that had me concerned...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom