Massive Newbie Post - Depth, AOW/SSI, Mask, Next Trip Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A quick note. The SSI equivalent of PADI AOW is called Advanced Adventurer.

SSI's AOW is not an actual course. It's a card they give you if you do 4 of their specialty courses that have a checkout dive (so courses like nitrox or Science of Diving don't count) and have a minimum of 25 logged dives.

SSI's AOW is not an actual course. It's a card they give you if you do 4 of their specialty courses that have a checkout dive (so courses like nitrox or Science of Diving don't count) and have a minimum of 25 logged dives.
You sure all 4 need to have a dive? My AOW card lists Deep, Navigation, Night & Limited, and Nitrox as the specialties.

A quick note. The SSI equivalent of PADI AOW is called Advanced Adventurer.

You sure all 4 need to have a dive? My AOW card lists Deep, Navigation, Night & Limited, and Nitrox as the specialties.
The SSI standards are clear: Nitrox does NOT need a dive, and CAN be one of the four specialties for SSI AOW.
It is unfortunate that SSI chose "AOW" for its recognition-level card; endless confusion with PADI AOW. The SSI AOW is more like a baby PADI Master Scuba Diver.

My source was probably out of date or inaccurate. Maybe an SSI instructor can chime in as I can't find the current requirements on the SSI site. BTW, they are really downplaying their AOW in favor of AAD, they don't even have a web page for AOW.

Digging through archive.org, I found a 2017 page for AOW. It lists the acceptable specialty courses and Nitrox is on the list.

I can't find the current requirements on the SSI site.
My info in post #23 is from the current standards, available on the SSI MySSI website if you are a member.

Thank you! I live in a landlocked state and am in the high mountains, but I do plan on diving as much as I can on vacations.
My 2PSI is do AOW immediately then dive like crazy. Weekly shore dives even if there is nothing to see, just work on the fundamentals.
This makes the really nice dives so much easier and ultimately a better experience

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom