Scubapro G250 can't be serviced??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the “most part” is what I used to say until I found out why SP wants the lever changed. Several years ago I didn’t change the lever sent the reg out for a dive. During the dive the lever slipped from the poppet shoulders and laid flat, not giving the diver any air. I spoke with a couple of people outside of SP and three people within SP and all reinforced that the lever, the diaphragm, spring, and balance chamber need to be replaced when changing over to the s-poppet. In my notes on the schematics it is written in red reminding me not to forget to change out any components when changing to the the newer poppet. I will no longer take the chance nor use the words “for the most part”, especially when it comes to dealing with customers, students, acquaintances, family, or friends. I learned my lesson.
Did any of the people you spoke to cite this safety issue specifically in their recommendation to change all the parts with the conversion? One would assume something this dangerous would be worthy of an official Scubapro bulletin. Was there one mentioning such a design incompatibly specifically?

Somewhere I'm pretty sure I have a bulletin talking about upgrading the poppet on a G250 and no mention is made about lever. I'll hunt for it.

The spring has always been a .216 so am unsure what change they are advising unless they just mean replace it with new. As an aside, a G250V initially used a .216 but was later changed to a .218, which is a tad stiffer, supposedly, although in not so sure about it. I've used both in G250s with little to no noticeable effect.

The balance chamber I do not understand as the difference between original and long crown is negligible. Prettty sure this was actually measured @rsingler and the difference resulted in .25" (?) higher cracking effort if using a 11.150.102.

You only have 2 alternate choices for diaphragm a G250HP or G250V, I know from experience using a G250V diaphragm makes tuning more difficult, it's taller and has a bigger surface area. I had issues.

Really want to understand this.

Thank you.

Ah not bulletin, my mistake. This doesn't talk about lever either but not being from SP I guess it's not "valid" but I'll post it anyway. Not sure where I got it from, my apologies if posting without consent is an issue.

Attachments

• Scubapro poppet changes.pdf
    813.3 KB · Views: 67
Somewhere I'm pretty sure I have a bulletin talking about upgrading the poppet on a G250 and no mention is made about lever. I'll hunt for it.

The spring has always been a .216 so am unsure what change they are advising unless they just mean replace it with new. As an aside, a G250V initially used a .216 but was later changed to a .218, which is a tad stiffer, supposedly, although in not so sure about it. I've used both in G250s with little to no noticeable effect.

The balance chamber I do not understand as the difference between original and long crown is negligible. Prettty sure this was actually measured @rsingler and the difference resulted in .25" (?) higher cracking effort if using a 11.150.102.

You only have 2 alternate choices for diaphragm a G250HP or G250V, I know from experience using a G250V diaphragm makes tuning more difficult, it's taller and has a bigger surface area. I had issues.

Really want to understand this.

Thank you.
If I’m not mistaken, I seem to recall that the old (non curly foot) level had two versions. One of them had narrower tabs that engage the poppet, perhaps this is the version in question.

Found it (G500 but would apply to G250). Indeed this pertains to the difference between the two older verions of the lever and the one-piece vs two-piece poppet which pre-date the current s-wing poppet with two orings. So, in conclusion, do not use the narrow tabbed/footed non-curly level with newer poppets. I have yet to find one of those. The older lever with the wider tabs is perfectly safe to use.
1653014209773.jpeg

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Cheers.
Yes, I have a 109 right now that I can't get working because the lever feet slip off the s-wing poppet. I tried a couple of different poppets and a few different levers. Then I just tossed it in a box and forgot about it until I saw this. Interesting. I'd like to get that 2nd stage working, it looks pretty much like new and I can always use another one. In all the 109s I've had over the years, this is the only one that has acted like this.

Strange. Did you try a .141 curly feet lever? With S-wing converted 109/156 I always had success using the .141 lever.

With converted G250s I've no significant issues using either lever.

Back
Top Bottom