Scubaboard/ DEMA Meet and Greet BarBQ....compliments of our Fearless Leader!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee:
Thanks for the help! I'm hoping we'll get enough volunteers to handle the carpooling for everyone, even if it means and extra trip back to Houston to return folks to their hotels. Or maybe we'll just hold them for ransom! :wink:

4 months isn't that far away! Help us to remind folks about the BBQ, get the word out to all the Swampers in the area, and I bet we can fill the place...easy! We've got about 20 folks on the list now, counting spouses and extras.

So how many people do we need to fill the place?

RobP:
Dee,
I'm planning on going to DEMA this year, and it would be great to meet up with some fellow swampers. Whenever I go to Houston, I always make it a point to stop at a Luther's. I'm thinking of staying at the Hilton by the convention center, but haven't made any reservations yet. As someone native to the Houston area, do you have any recommendations?
It depends if you want handy, or cheaper, and if you'll have a car. The Hilton is the handiest to the center but you'll pay big bucks. If you have a car, there are lots of options on the outskirts of Houston. There are some very nice hotels from Motel 6 grade to plush 10 stars! All depends on what you like.

Natasha has the resources to get the hotel info faster than I do but we'll get together and get some hotel info for everyone.

DiverG:
So how many people do we need to fill the place?

I forgot to ask but when I was there the other day, I counted 65 seats. I'm sure tables could be rearranged and more chairs brought in if needed. The normal seating is spacious. They have a good size parking lot if we need to spill out! :D

Dee:
Natasha has the resources to get the hotel info faster than I do but we'll get together and get some hotel info for everyone.

I was able to hold 9 rooms. They are at the Holiday Inn Select. The hotel is 4 miles from DEMA. It has an out-door pool and whilrpool and Internet access.
I only held one king room. The rest are 2 double beds so the price can be shared.
For people coming in on Wed., the Wed /Thursday rate is 104.00. Friday and Saturday drops down to 79.00 for each night.
So if you're sharing it's 40.00 each per night on those nights.
I'm not familiar with areas away from the convention center. This is a great area and you will be safe.
Hope that helped.
You can let me know if you want one of these rooms through a PM or here.

NetDoc:
Is the king room just one bed?

Yes, but a Queen could fit in it too. :winky:

Does Houston have anything in the $50 per night range where I wouldn't have to mail you a firearm to hold for me? I don't know if Gina (my instructor) already has a hotel in mind but it's always wise to have a back-up plan. What about the corporate rate at the Holiday Inn Select, we're with the university and can book the trip through them I believe (that's what we're doing with the FL trip).
Thanks!
Ber

I dont plan on attending DEMA this year due to the fact that most of the big name manufacturer's have pulled out, such as Scuba Pro, Sea Quest Aqua Lung and more. It is still going to have alot of the info based classes and stuff such as tank visual inspection classes and such but how many times do you need to take these courses?? If something changes and I decide to go anyway, I will DEFINATELY attend the BBQ.

Ber Rabbit:
Does Houston have anything in the $50 per night range where I wouldn't have to mail you a firearm to hold for me? I don't know if Gina (my instructor) already has a hotel in mind but it's always wise to have a back-up plan. What about the corporate rate at the Holiday Inn Select, we're with the university and can book the trip through them I believe (that's what we're doing with the FL trip).
Thanks!
Ber

Personally I don't have access to rooms below $50.00. When I checked 21 miles away I still found 85.00 at a Holiday Inn Express. I guess Budget hotels are 50.00 or less, but I don't have a list of those. So sorry.
The Four Seasons and the Hilton are right next to DEMA but DEMA is holding those rooms and I'm sure they are more then 50.00 a night.

Ber Rabbit:
Thanks!
Ber
I had nothing better to do so I decided to help you out. All these hotels are in NW Houston and anywhere from 10-15 miles from downtown. I do not think these prices include our hefty hotel taxes of around 15%( I think).

La Quinta 11002 NW Freeway 11.0 miles 713-688-2581 $53-68/night

Super 8 Brookhollow 5655 W. 34th 11.0 miles 713-688-6800$38-43/night

Days Inn(West Houston) 9535 Katy Freeway 12.2 miles 713-467-4411 $38-42/night

Days Inn 7887 W. Tidwell 14.2 miles 713-690-1493 $44-69/night

Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom