Scubaboard/ DEMA Meet and Greet BarBQ....compliments of our Fearless Leader!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oxyhacker:
Re the barbeque it would be nice if it was somewhere with public transportation available but maybe that's not in the realm of possibility in TX.

You're right....not in this part of Texas! Anywhere that's reachable by public transportation, isn't suitable for what we have in mind. The public parks safe enough that you don't have to go armed, that are reachable by public transportation are farther away from George Brown than the locations we're looking at. We're hoping folks will carpool to the location once it's chosen.

You have to remember that Houston is probably the last of the large cities to embrace safe, reliable public transportation and it's still sorely lacking when compared to other large cities. We've learned not to depend on it.

I think that some or out Tejan hosts might be able to provide a car pool of sorts. I know I will have transpo of some sort and will gladly offer up any free seats.

I haven't read the thread and I'm certainly not going to DEMA but if the flight isn't to costly I might consider a BBQ in Texas.

NetDoc:
I think that some or out Tejan hosts might be able to provide a car pool of sorts. I know I will have transpo of some sort and will gladly offer up any free seats.

I think I could be convinced to help. I've got a full size extended cab truck. So I could get about 5 people in the truck, and a few more in box of the truck. :)

Bob...are you going to rent a car? If not you might want to think about it. We can find you a hotel much cheaper away from downtown. The George Brown Conv. Center is easy to get to from outside the loop. You'll save enough to pay for the car!

We have decied on a location for Pete's After-DEMA shindig. The Backdraft restaurant who will be doing the catering has offered to close the restaurant from 4pm to 8pm and let us have the whole place for a private party. We'll be able to visit and mingle to our hearts content! Alcohol isn't sold on the premises but we can take our own if we want. October in this neck of the woods can still be quite warm so being inside will assure our comfort in A/C and dry in case of rains.

It's located in Highlands, a quick 20 mile/20 min drive down I-10 from the George Brown Conv. Center. We'll work on plans for carpooling...

Dee:
We have decied on a location for Pete's After-DEMA shindig. The Backdraft restaurant who will be doing the catering has offered to close the restaurant from 4pm to 8pm and let us have the whole place for a private party. We'll be able to visit and mingle to our hearts content! Alcohol isn't sold on the premises but we can take our own if we want. October in this neck of the woods can still be quite warm so being inside will assure our comfort in A/C and dry in case of rains.

It's located in Highlands, a quick 20 mile/20 min drive down I-10 from the George Brown Conv. Center. We'll work on plans for carpooling...

Dee, I'm looking forward to this meet and greet. Put me on the list to help on carpooling. Any chance that we'll be able to fill the place? :)

DiverG:
Dee, I'm looking forward to this meet and greet. Put me on the list to help on carpooling. Any chance that we'll be able to fill the place? :)

Thanks for the help! I'm hoping we'll get enough volunteers to handle the carpooling for everyone, even if it means and extra trip back to Houston to return folks to their hotels. Or maybe we'll just hold them for ransom! :wink:

4 months isn't that far away! Help us to remind folks about the BBQ, get the word out to all the Swampers in the area, and I bet we can fill the place...easy! We've got about 20 folks on the list now, counting spouses and extras.

Dee,
I'm planning on going to DEMA this year, and it would be great to meet up with some fellow swampers. Whenever I go to Houston, I always make it a point to stop at a Luther's. I'm thinking of staying at the Hilton by the convention center, but haven't made any reservations yet. As someone native to the Houston area, do you have any recommendations?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom