Scubaboard/ DEMA Meet and Greet BarBQ....compliments of our Fearless Leader!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oxyhacker:
This thread got so long and old now that I'm confused now. Are there two events (at a park and at a restaurant) or has one replaced the other?

I'm booked at one of the overpriced DEMA hotels but thinking about finding a cheap hotel out a ways and renting a car so I can get to the TEXAS and events like this. There seem to be a bunch or fairly cheap ones between Hobby airport and the downtown, anyone know what this section of town is like?

Vance...there's only one event at the Backdraft restaurant in Highlands.

The area around Hobby airport isn't the best place to stay. I'm not familiar with all the areas between there and downtown. I can point you to some nice one's in Baytown. They are about 5 min. from the BBQ location and about 20-30 min. from downtown. If you're gonna rent a car, that would be my best suggestion.

I'm working on a map now showing the route from the convention center to Highlands. The freeways exits and on-ramps have changed in the last few years when I was so familiar with the drive into downtown. I'll be posting it in a new thread soon.

Dee,

Will this work?

Start: Depart 1001 Avenida de las Americas, Houston, TX 77010 on Avenida de las Americas

(North-East) 0.1 mile

1: Turn RIGHT (East) onto Rusk St 0.1 mile

2: Take Ramp (LEFT) onto US-59 [Eastex Fwy] towards US-59 1.3 mile

3: Take Ramp (RIGHT) onto I-10 [US-90] towards I-10 / Beaumont 17.6 miles

4: At exit 787, turn RIGHT onto Ramp towards Crosby-Lynchburg Rd 0.2 mile

5: Turn LEFT (North) onto FM-2100 [Crosby Lynchburg Rd] 1.5 mile

End: Arrive 411 S Main St, Highlands, TX 77562

That was a quick response!

But not quick enough - I just made a res at the Hobby Airport Super 8. Looks decent and new, and $42 a night before tax and only 8 or so miles from DEMA. Since I'm flying in the Hobby, and want to see the dreadnaught TEXAS and maybe Galveston if there's time, it seemed like as good a side of town to be on as any, since I don't have a clue about Houston and any cheap accomodations means being at least 6 miles away. If I'm terribly mistaken let me know!

It's cancellable, so if anyone has a better suggestion fire away.

Dee:
Vance...there's only one event at the Backdraft restaurant in Highlands.

The area around Hobby airport isn't the best place to stay. I'm not familiar with all the areas between there and downtown. I can point you to some nice one's in Baytown. They are about 5 min. from the BBQ location and about 20-30 min. from downtown. If you're gonna rent a car, that would be my best suggestion.

I'm working on a map now showing the route from the convention center to Highlands. The freeways exits and on-ramps have changed in the last few years when I was so familiar with the drive into downtown. I'll be posting it in a new thread soon.

Vance, I look forward to meeting you there, as well as all the others coming... just a couple weeks away now gang!

oxyhacker:
That was a quick response!

But not quick enough - I just made a res at the Hobby Airport Super 8. Looks decent and new, and $42 a night before tax and only 8 or so miles from DEMA. Since I'm flying in the Hobby, and want to see the dreadnaught TEXAS and maybe Galveston if there's time, it seemed like as good a side of town to be on as any, since I don't have a clue about Houston and any cheap accomodations means being at least 6 miles away. If I'm terribly mistaken let me know!

It's cancellable, so if anyone has a better suggestion fire away.

You're fine. Hobby is not bad at all. I live 8 miles south of Hobby. There are 2 million dollar homes here. Not mine..but in my suburb.
So, don't worry at all.

PS. Galveston is a ton of fun. I hope you can find the time to get there too. I go there ALL the time. We have many favorite restaurants if you need any recommendations.

That'll do, Don...Thanks! Once folks get on 59, it's a breeze!

Vance....you'll be fine in the hotels around the airport. The areas I mentioned border part of the back of the airport, old communities that have gone downhill.

Natasha:
I was able to hold 9 rooms. They are at the Holiday Inn Select. The hotel is 4 miles from DEMA. It has an out-door pool and whilrpool and Internet access.
I only held one king room. The rest are 2 double beds so the price can be shared.
For people coming in on Wed., the Wed /Thursday rate is 104.00. Friday and Saturday drops down to 79.00 for each night.
So if you're sharing it's 40.00 each per night on those nights.
I'm not familiar with areas away from the convention center. This is a great area and you will be safe.
Hope that helped.
You can let me know if you want one of these rooms through a PM or here.

Natasha...are you still holding these rooms?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom