Scuba Certification Rip Off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I had a similar issue with a dive shop few years back. I paid $1200 for my gear and $500 for a PADI certification and spend half a year trying to get either money back or the product/course. The owner said “…price has changed, pay the difference…” and that was months after I already paid and I was expecting my gear.
It took me many months, stress, and wasted time to get my gear for the price I paid - and I did - but I ended up losing $500 for a PADI cert I never took. As someone mentioned Small Claims Court or BBB are both a BIG waste of time.
Of course I called PADI, they were very nice they tried to help me but not always things turn the way you want. Forgot to mention… these guys are still in business.
After that episode I learned one thing: next time I pay for something like this I would have my eyes wide open and one more thing - use VISA - because of their fraud protection. At least you have a chance to take your money back.

I hope everything will turn up well for you.

StingRob

How would you like to pay double for something??? even if you are rich or not.. and diving is not a sport for rich people only. We all have to start somewhere. I'm sure there are not a lot of rich people out there that dive.

Fishy:
Last Year We Concentrated Our Funds On Diving.. This Year We Have To Concentrate On Fishing.. Next Year More Diving..see.. Its A Give And Take Situation When You Have Two Expensive Hobbies..
Guess you won't be diving for a couple more years then, eh?

But since you asked the question, "How would I feel?" Well I sure wouldn't sit around high and dry fretting about $300. I'd be busy figuring out a way to get the dough so I could go.

Now you have received some good suggestions in this thread but it seems to me in every case you want to just come back and whine about how unfair the situation is. What do you want? Do you want me to send you the money so that you and your boy-friend can take the class over and use your money for buying a boat?

Ok.. You Want To Send Me The Money That Would Be Great!!! Send Me A Private Message And I Will Give You My Address..

And I'm Not Whining On This Board. I'm Trying To Find Advice. And I Am Getting Advice, And Its All Been Good Up Until You Guys Started Saying I'm Too Poor To Be A Diver.

Fishy: "Send Me The Money"
No one said you are too poor to be a diver... we said diving is expensive and you need to decide what you really want. Whining over and over about how you lost $300 isn't going to get you in the water.

Shoot... if all I ever lost was $300 I would have been playing it too safe to have ever had any fun.

All I'm saying is that some of us have to work a little harder to get the things we want in life and it takes us a little more time.. I've only been working full time for two years.. its not like I have big reserves of money and student loans eat up a lot of my money.. and I am choosing.. that is what I said.. one year I put money into diving.. one year fishing.. and I can't decide between them.. I'm a fish and Wildlife Graduate.. that is like saying to a golfer that they have to decide to only have half of the clubs they need..

and I'm not really worried about the 300.. it just sucks.. and I know you think I am whinning.. but I didn't know where else to go.. and I got some info.. and I just think it is not fair for you to say I am whinning of 300 bucks.. who wants to pay for anything twice.. what kind of deal is that.. ???????????????

Nobody does, but you have a choice...bend with the wind...or break.

We're just saying, that this kind of thing happens to all of us.

Example:

I had the same problem with my sons certification. I faxed the agency proof of his enrollment, along with EVERYTHING I could find pertaining to his course.

They FedExed his c card within a week.

BUT, if they hadn't, I would have had him take it over.

Suggestion: Get all your documentation together and fax it to the agency.

I Dont' Have Any Documentation.. Its Ok.. I Will Take It Over.. Next Year.. I Wasn't Whinning.. I Was Just Looking For More Things To Do Then What I Have Already Done... This Kind Of Thing Should Not Happen. That Is The Point. We Need To Work To Try And Prevent This From Happening....

Not To Mention The Time It Takes To Do This All Over Again.. And How Crapy You Feel When You Can't Go Diving.. And You Should Be Able To Go.. That Is What I Am Talking About.. Its The Principle....

OK, OK, OK...
You weren't whining... you we just voicing your complaint in a sustained manner as the trailing note of each post.

Hope you get a nice fishing boat that can be used in the future for diving too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom