Scuba Budget?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShanChan

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, quit laughing! I'm being serious.

Every year when I do my taxes, I add up all my scuba receipts. And then my eyes roll into the back of my head, the convulsions start, and I can't seem to look anyone in the eye for days. It takes several shots of tequila before I'm back to something resembling a shellshocked normal. I mean, holy cow, how could I spend THAT much on ONE hobby/addiction?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

So I ask my fellow scubaboarders: How do you budget your diving? DO you budget your diving? What tips/tricks have you learned (besides knocking over gas stations) to keep it affordable?

And I apologize if this is the wrong forum - I couldn't seem to find an appropriate forum. So, mods, feel free to move it.

Great question!!! I'd also like to know how people do it, because when I added up when I spent I almost had a coronary. When I first started getting REALLY involved in diving in Oct., I knew I was spending a lot of money, but figured once I had the initial gear and accessories that I would be spending a more practical amount (a little thing called "denial"). But there's always more equipment and accessories that I "need", the boat fees plus tip, eating and drinking after the dives, tank rentals, trips, live boards, etc. that it seems it's never going to stop.

The easy answer is that if you DON'T add it up, there's no coronary to worry about!:rofl3:

As far as 'budget' is concerned, seriously, I rarely do so unless I know that I'm coming up on a specialty course, advanced ed./training, etc. But for the typical weekend of diving at the quarry and fills, etc.....chalk it up to a great form of entertainment.

I have spent over $30K only on this sport and keep buying almost every month. My shopping list is never end.

Like any other shopping pattern, what I learned is to think three times before making actual purchase of new items.

And, don't buy anything until you get ride of the current gears.

It isn't only me to see a lot of obsolete or unnecessary gears laid on the garage, closet, or floor. It is also PITA (money and time) when you are trying to sell it at the board and eBay.

Go professional and write if all off at tax time. It's what I do. Cushions the blow considerably. I actually upgraded my phone last night due to increased activity in this regard(appointments, scheduling, students, classes, gear, etc). So now my new blackberry pearl and unlimited internet access(30 bucks a month) with it is a new deduction for this year (2008).

Ok, quit laughing! I'm being serious.

Every year when I do my taxes, I add up all my scuba receipts. And then my eyes roll into the back of my head, the convulsions start, and I can't seem to look anyone in the eye for days. It takes several shots of tequila before I'm back to something resembling a shellshocked normal. I mean, holy cow, how could I spend THAT much on ONE hobby/addiction?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

So I ask my fellow scubaboarders: How do you budget your diving? DO you budget your diving? What tips/tricks have you learned (besides knocking over gas stations) to keep it affordable?

And I apologize if this is the wrong forum - I couldn't seem to find an appropriate forum. So, mods, feel free to move it.

Budget? we don't need no steenking budget!

Hey, when you're retired and living on a fixed (albeit, inflation adjusted, OK, I'm lucky) pension, you don't worry about. Just consider, I'm diving on my kids' inheritance! :D

Ken

What tips/tricks have you learned (besides knocking over gas stations) to keep it affordable?

I married a very wealthy girl who has an oral fixation... (can't get the second stage out her mouth).

:gorgeous: She writes a check, I pick the spots.

Here's how I budget mine as a part time worker and full time college student-
#1 Rule- Sell current dive gear before replacing it. Just because a used BC is worth $200 doesn't mean you'll find a buyer.
#2 Rule- Buy a state park pass. For $80, you can get you and your carload into most all state parks for a year. That's cheap!
#3 Rule- Always invite your parents to dive with you! lol

like Jim said, the tax rightoff helps but i found you still have to come up with the money somehow

no new gutters or driveway for almityhome and the house needs painting but last year managed to spend over $25K on diving :shocked:

also no pets or kids (though we assist with niece's & nephews private school fees), we dont drink, smoke and hardly go out - in fact, diving is our 'going out'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom