Scuba Budget?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whenever I read a thread about a diving budget, or about how expensive it is, I just have to laugh.

My other "hobby" -- dressage (horses):

"Free horse" -- $2000
Board and Fees -- $11,400 year
Training -- $6000
Regular Vet fees -- $500/year
Current "extraordinary" vet fees -- $500/month for next 5 months
Show fees -- $600/show -- 5 shows in 2008

And that's just for my horse -- not TSandM's.

SCUBA is cheap!

I feel your pain. Up until just a month or so ago my daughter was playing competitive fastpitch softball which entailed a crap load of equipment and traveling all over the country repeatably all year. I had to replace my car every year due to excessive mileage and that was just the local stuff, all over the country meant flying and from where we live there are no cheap lights. I figure at the peak we were spending upwards of $30,000/$35,000 per year and that does not take into account food and minor items. I would not have traded the experieince for anything but now that it's over man do I ever have a scuba budget to play....well, until my wonderfull wife finds out what a dry suit actually :shakehead:costs.....

Help out at your LDS with certification dives or whatever they might need a little help with... They might just give you some free air or something. It may not be much, but it is something and it adds up!

Good thread. I have other things to spend my $$ on (three kids in private schools) so I do not buy new equipment often. I found what I like and stick with it. Both sets of gear (FL & IL) are very similar; the main difference is the 3mm vs. 7mm wetsuit.

As for diving, a day of diving is entertainment, whether on a boat off Boca Raton or in Haigh quarry. Oh, and I do NOT take expensive trips to exotic places. I have been diving South Florida for 30+ years and have not seen it all.

Wow, you have a budget? Just kidding, I try to stick to the basics and take care of my equipment. Living on an island in the Caribbean does have its benefits in terms of limiting the travelling.

Don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom