Scuba Budget?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Trip, $3500
Keeping equipment up to date each year $2000

Being 100' underwater and not having anyone talk my ear off - PRICELESS!

Actually, I agree with JIMLAP. Go Pro and start writing off :)

Mike

like Jim said, the tax rightoff helps but i found you still have to come up with the money somehow

no new gutters or driveway for almityhome and the house needs painting but last year managed to spend over $25K on diving :shocked:

also no pets or kids (though we assist with niece's & nephews private school fees), we dont drink, smoke and hardly go out - in fact, diving is our 'going out'

Don't drink!!!!

I found a solution for that, just brew your own! It's cheaper. Once you've got all the equipment you need . . . . Kind of like diving . . . .

Ken

Oh ... get into underwater cameras, housings, strobes, brackets hard cases etc. Do that not only once but a few times in your life.

Not counting my FAV diving ... wrecks ... CAN YOU SAY, "MONEY MONEY MONEYYYYYYYYY" LIKE THE SONG?

Don't drink!!!!

I found a solution for that, just brew your own! It's cheaper. Once you've got all the equipment you need . . . . Kind of like diving . . . .

Ken

Funny I'm reading this while drinking the first sampeling of the first barleywine style beer I've brewed.

If you put a boat in with what you spend on diving you learn to never add it up. You really don't want to know.

When I had an RV I knew it had bad gas mileage, I never wanted to know how bad.

It's about enjoyment and fun.

2007 was my "transition to tech" year. I "thought" that they major investment was done. But nope, after my cave class I had to have 2 more sets of doubles, a 35w just before the class, another BP/W... oh and the new argon set-up for my normoxic class. And once I get that it would only make sense to start blending my own so I'll need a fill whip, followed shortly by a compressor and stick... then I'll need a scooter to help conserve all that expensive gas on deep dives.... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

New solution to the economic slowdown- Put someone from PADI/NAUI/Whoever in the cabinet and start a nation-wide "Start Diving" campaign. That will get consumer spending up in no time! :)

They told me at the end of OW class that once I had my gear, the expenses would go WAY down.

Silly me, I thought that meant that once I had a hood, mask, regulator, BC, drysuit and fins, it would stop.

How was I to know that "gear" would include HID lights, scooters, doubles, and now a BOAT?

The good thing is that, now that we have the boat (and hopefully the boat will have a finite amount of equipment IT needs), the only thing after that that I can think of to buy is an island, and we can't afford that . . .

Just remember to pay the credit card bill on time and then burn it so the spouse never sees it! Diving if fun, divorice is not.

I plan and prepare an annual budget for the coming year each December, based upon a projection of my annual income for the coming year. Sample budget for 2008 is as follows:

Estimated Annual Disposable Income......................$100,000.00

Budged Proposal:

1. Home Maintenance............................$750.00
2. Food ..............................................$750.00
3. Auto Repair & Expenses.......................$750.00
4. Insurance.........................................$750.00
5. Birthday, Anniversary, Christmas &
Valentine gifts for wife.........................$ 10.00
6 Travel (non Scuba related)....................$ 50.00
7 Travel -Scuba Related.........................$20,000.00
8. Purchases of Esssentials (non Scuba).....$50.00
9 Purchases of Essentials-Scuba...............$20,000.00
10 Live Aboard & All Inclusive Fees............$40,000.00
11. Reserve for unbudgeted Scuba
Expenses .........................................$18,250.00

This system works well for me..........try it and let me know how it works for you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom