Scuba Budget?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have one card I use all summer and then pay off all winter. Then the other card I use all winter and pay off all summer.

and now a BOAT?

The good thing is that, now that we have the boat (and hopefully the boat will have a finite amount of equipment IT needs), the only thing after that that I can think of to buy is an island, and we can't afford that . . .

Now hold on a sec a boat is a completely separate hobby/sport aka black hole of money and in no way should reduce your diving budget. LOL

Well, I don’t golf……I don’t bowl……I don’t smoke…..I don’t drink…..I don’t gamble……I don’t hang out in gentlemen’s clubs……..I drive a eight year old car……aren’t I entitled to a few vices?

So why not scuba?

Hmmmmm……..then there is the fly fishing…….That gear isn’t cheap either.

Oh yeah…..My wife and I are in to large scale live steam railroading. You know like Walt Disney had in his back yard, the kind you can ride on. Let’s see……..closing in on six figures there.

Almost forgot the pilots license and the plane.

Damn!!!!

I’ll be quiet now………

Don't drink!!!!

I found a solution for that, just brew your own! It's cheaper. Once you've got all the equipment you need . . . . Kind of like diving . . . .

Ken

My other expensive hobby. I could be a first class drunkard for what I spent on brewing (currently am drunkard 2nd class):D

But yeah, what Jim said. Getting to write it off is great.

Now hold on a sec a boat is a completely separate hobby/sport aka black hole of money and in no way should reduce your diving budget.

Our boat is a pure and simple (or not so simple) DPV. Or perhaps it's a DDV (Diver Delivery Vehicle).

A boat, a plane, a train....why not a car. The newly unveiled, old idea, submersible car. It's good down to 35'.

Best not to think about the expense, unless you can deduct from your taxes.

I save money by building my own funiture, the other hobby.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER add up those receipts :wink: I'm pretty sure that falls under "suicide attempt" in health insurance plans and they won't pay for any injuries resulting from looking at that number :D

I have all my receipts from many years of diving neatly filed...never looked at but neatly filed :D

Oh yeah…..My wife and I are in to large scale live steam railroading. You know like Walt Disney had in his back yard, the kind you can ride on. Let’s see……..closing in on six figures there.

Too funny! Those are fun, I've ridden on one at one of the local parks. BTW my brother-in-law is into "large scale railroading" as well, he has a 52-ton steam engine among other things :wink:

Ber :lilbunny:

I plan and prepare an annual budget for the coming year each December, based upon a projection of my annual income for the coming year. Sample budget for 2008 is as follows:

Estimated Annual Disposable Income......................$100,000.00

Budged Proposal:

1. Home Maintenance............................$750.00
2. Food ..............................................$750.00
3. Auto Repair & Expenses.......................$750.00
4. Insurance.........................................$750.00
5. Birthday, Anniversary, Christmas &
Valentine gifts for wife.........................$ 10.00
6 Travel (non Scuba related)....................$ 50.00
7 Travel -Scuba Related.........................$20,000.00
8. Purchases of Esssentials (non Scuba).....$50.00
9 Purchases of Essentials-Scuba...............$20,000.00
10 Live Aboard & All Inclusive Fees............$40,000.00
11. Reserve for unbudgeted Scuba
Expenses .........................................$18,250.00

This system works well for me..........try it and let me know how it works for you

I think that maybe if you thought a little less about other people and more for yourself you could free up a bit more of that disposable cash and really focus on having some fun on scuba. Other than that, I'd say it's spot on :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom